Drabblecast 101 - Bemused

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 101 - Bemused

Postby Kevin Anderson » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:04 am

Drabblecast 101

Bemused
by Michael R. Fosburg

My Muse is the life of every party. He does keg-stands and plays beer-pong like he was born to the game...

Drabble- A Gentleman Caller
by Rodney Elliot

Music by Chi Weapon
The Rooneyfish cometh!
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Great dialog, good drabble, good story. I like the authors direct approach to resolving the situation.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

cammoblammo

Postby cammoblammo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:12 am

Not a bad story. There was nothing unexpected, but it still pushed enough buttons to make it worth the price I paid for it. The lack of twist is no longer expected, though, so maybe we need a twist or too soon to keep us guessing. Or am I raising expectations unexpectedly?

Oddly enough, I thought this story was more Dunesteef-esque than Drabbly. I don't know if that means anything, except that it's good that those guys have started to hit their stride.
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

Mr. Tweedy

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:20 am

It's not often I can say this about a Drabblecast, but that one really didn't hit me at all. I wasn't amused or disturbed or even bored, just kind of... Meh.

The muse is an asshole, but so is the narrator, and neither of them are very interesting assholes. Consequently, I didn't really care what happened to either of them. The narrator killing the muse made me feel just like I would have felt if the muse had killed the narrator: Indifferent.

The drabble was sickly fun. It managed a decent twist and left the ending open.

The highlight of the episode was, to me, the story feedback. Treeman, we all bow before your genius. We bow at an Eddie Bauer inflatable altar because you–you and Turritopsis dohrnii–are worthy of the inflatable treatment.
Advertise in this space!

Richmazzer

Postby Richmazzer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:43 am

I agree that if the narrator had been developed more, made to be more innocent and severly imposed upon by the Muse, he would have won my sympathy more and it would have made it a little bit of a stronger story. But I thought the Muse was a hilarious character, well voiced by Norm, and overall this was a fun little story. The highlight to me was the angsty jellyfish teen in the Drabblenews, had a good chuckle over that.

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Postby Kevin Anderson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:03 pm

Enjoyed the episode. Thought the angsty jellyfish teen sounded a bit like Napoleon Dynamite. Not sure why.

There were some good laughs in the main story, something we haven’t had since the last Saki yarn, and some good old American gunfire. Laughter and small arms fire, a great combo.
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

StalinSays
Beast-Master

yup

Postby StalinSays » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:40 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:The narrator killing the muse made me feel just like I would have felt if the muse had killed the narrator: Indifferent.

I think Tweedy's thought here surmises anything I'd have to say about this episode. Ditto is my name Oh.

RicV

Postby RicV » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:12 pm

Good story, it was fun. b I dont know if it was a favorite, but it wasn't a fast forward story. Those dont happen on Drabble yet.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:03 am

RicV wrote:Good story, it was fun. b I dont know if it was a favorite, but it wasn't a fast forward story. Those dont happen on Drabble yet.

Yea Norm, you gotta work on that.

Dr. Sax

Postby Dr. Sax » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:45 am

I liked the story quite a bit because I took it as a metaphor (In a way). It was obviously meant to be literal, but I can't help but be reminded about how I feel about "my muse" at times as a composer:

During my time in undergrad (Don't be fooled, I just got done) people would sometimes say to me, "I wish I could compose like you." I would always respond with a short speech that can be summarized with, "No you don't, it's not worth it." Don't get me wrong, I love my work and plan to pursue it, but there are days where "I'm sick of being inspired." Gosh, can't I just play a video game, read a novel, write a long e-mail to my girlfriend, or listen to the drabblecast? "Absolutely not!" The muse says. "You have an idea that you have to write down." Then I say no, and five minutes later I find myself at the computer inputing notes like I do every other day. The bastard's got me whipped whether I like it or not, and somedays I just want to take it to a deserted rest area and...well, I'd get it out of the car first. Blood on the seats and all...plus shooting at a spirit usually results in a nice big hole somewhere in your interior.

zZzacha

Postby zZzacha » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:39 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:
RicV wrote:Good story, it was fun. b I dont know if it was a favorite, but it wasn't a fast forward story. Those dont happen on Drabble yet.

Yea Norm, you gotta work on that.

Yeah! Norm fast-forward-style! Like the Chipmunks :)
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:24 pm

zZzacha wrote:Yeah! Norm fast-forward-style! Like the Chipmunks :)

NoooooooorrrrrmmmmAAAAAANNN!

strawman

Postby strawman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:23 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:NoooooooorrrrrmmmmAAAAAANNN!

"OKAY!!"
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

zZzacha

Postby zZzacha » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:52 pm

Dr. Sax wrote:Blood on the seats and all...plus shooting at a spirit usually results in a nice big hole somewhere in your interior.

Dr. Sax, I keep coming up with visions about you shooting your own interior... Call me a sick girl, but those visions keep looking like a crazy-eyed doctor, pointing a real big gun into his own ... oh, that's called the posterior.... grmbl... 'Xuse me for my sicksick mind and my badbad english.

Well, at least I had fun with that idea ;P
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

LajesticVantrashellofLob

Postby LajesticVantrashellofLob » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:59 am

Kevin Anderson wrote: Thought the angsty jellyfish teen sounded a bit like Napoleon Dynamite...

That picture is just so damn awesome I can't ever describe it (and I don't feel like pulling a Lovecraft and describing it anyway :)).

The feature story (which I thought was quite good) reminded me of the Escape Pod story "Frankie the Spook" (where a writer has the ghost of Francis Bacon write all of his stuff for him) except in reverse - this time the writer was the sensible one and the inspiration was the jackass. I empathized with the main character, since I know what it's like to be an idealistic young writer (as I am one :)). I can see the logic in taking the money, fading into obscurity and writing under a pseudonym. It's what I would have done in that situation.
Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules. Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.

You're always the hero in your own story - life is about not being the villain in anyone else's.

Michael R. Fosburg

Postby Michael R. Fosburg » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:18 am

Thanks for giving my little story a listen, folks. I appreciate the comments and criticisms; my twenty-one year old scribbler's heart swells with appreciation for any discussion solicited by it. :D

Cheers,

Mike
"He was the boy with the book, always and forever." -Neil Gaiman

Beth Peters

Postby Beth Peters » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:13 am

That was great! You're way ahead of the game Michael. The average 21 year old isn't writing and selling hilarious little stories like this in his spare time.

hellena.xantia

Re: Drabblecast 101 - Bemused

Postby hellena.xantia » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:10 pm

thisstory is hilarious! good for the writer to kill the muse, good.

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”