Drabblecast 217 - Followed

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 217 - Followed

Post by StalinSays » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:08 am

Feature: Followed by Will McIntosh

Sunday, September 25, 2011
She came wandering down the sidewalk like any other corpse, her herky-jerky
walk unmistakable among the fluid strides of the living. She was six or
seven, Southeast Asian, maybe Indian, her ragged clothes caked in dried mud.
Pedestrians cut a wide berth around her without noticing her at all...

In Search of the Brain-Eating Nandi Bear- Part VI
Bbardle - National Geographic Boobs
Nathan Lee's Mirrorshards
Will McIntosh
The Living Dead
Art by John Deberge
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

strawman

Re: Drabblecast 217 - Followed

Post by strawman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:51 pm

ASID gives good twit.
Reminded me of Electricity For Dummies: Don't let the smoke out.

The story, for me, was hijacked by the thought that zombies are really nothing but the disembodied self-loathing of morbidly obese people. I don't know where that thought came from, but once it came, it came again and again, whenever the phrase "my corpse" was used. 'My corpse followed me wherever I went' was like a Weird Al version of Me and My Shadow.

Well, of course they all want brains; it's simply the natural desire of the alter-ego yoni to be reintegrated with the metaphysical yang.

Clearly, I'm going to have to listen to this one again to make sure I haven't missed something.

Connor's obsession with flappy boobs seems an apt metaphor for whatever has caused the Nandi Bear to lose its appetite for brains. Or vice versa, if I understand myself correctly. I felt much of Nandi was on the level of MDW's Either/Or game.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:38 pm

Definitely got my peas mixed with my carrots in this episode; glad to be high enough in the autism spectrum to have handled it. The somber tone of Followed, wrapped in Connor's scatological humor assault? To double down on food analogies - it's the steak chalupa of Drabblecasts.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Discodave

Post by Discodave » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:24 am

Great story, and I as well had to listen to it a couple times to figure out how I felt about it.
Spoiler:
Im not sure whom else will agree with me, but theme seemed to be about accepting death. The man rejecting "his corpse" at first and doing what he can, even paying her off, to avoid the situation. Even at the resturant and in public people ignor the death that surrounds them, and lead glutenous lives as if death is the last thing they're thinking about.
The acceptance of life through death, and honoring those who once lived is a powerful message to pass along, and McIntosh has delivered briliantly.

http://www.unspeakablegibberer.blogspot.com

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:55 pm

I was really digging the story when it began, of the world where random corpses follow people around. And it was an interesting premise, especially when I realized after the line about "actuarial balance" that this was all apparently meant to show people the effect they're having in the world. It touched on quite a few interesting themes:
1. Many live gluttonous, wasteful lives, despite there being plenty of documentation of terrible living conditions in many places across the world. Would we continue to do this if we were confronted by those we failed to help?
2. When he tries to bribe the ghost, this felt very real life to people who try to write a check to assuage their own guilt. Not that writing a check to a worthwhile cause isn't a good thing, but when it's a thing only to assuage your guilt and not for the actual people you're helping, it has interesting moral side to it. If you can spare the money without missing it, and you're only donating to keep it off your conscience, should it really be a weight off yoru shoulders?
3. The lessening of guilt by comparing one person's level of guilt with another's, and how ludicrous this can be. This reminds me of a couple years ago when I had the gall to complain that President Obama had flown Air Force One all the way from DC to Chicago to spend two hours there and then flew back to DC, and how much money and fuel that burned for him to fly that giant airplane for such a short trip. Man did I get a lot of flack for that, most along the lines of either "Do you want him to stay isolated in his office?" or "George W. Bush did _____ and he was way worse." The latter argument especially bothered me, because I wasn't trying to compare him to Bush, I was trying to point out how wasteful such a short trip halfway across the country was. Why not get enough Chicago-related stuff to do so that you can spend a day or three there instead of flying there for a two-hour stop? So apparently now, no President can be criticized for anything as long as there is a previous President who has done worse--that's going to be a downward spiral if I've ever seen one. Anyway, that's what it reminded me of--Oh, that couple at that table has 3 corpses around them, what terrible people they are, aren't I so superior because I only have a single shambler.

Anyway, so it obviously had plenty of food for thought for me, but after a while it just started to drag. Once it had shown me this really interesting metaphor it just kept going on and on pointing out how awesome its metaphor was and I wanted to tell teh story "Okay, I get it. I get it. Can something happen now?" And then the story ended at an apparently random place.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:52 pm

I haven't listened to this story yet. But I LOVED the rest of the episode! Great, great Connor work! Full of perfect puns, great music, and appropriate juvenile humor. Knocked this one out of the park, Norm!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

rsieg

Post by rsieg » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:23 am

Loved the concept. I think the zombies in this story are more disturbing than the usual brain-eating variety. Think about having one of these staring at you for the rest of your life.

On the other hand, it would never work as a longer story. After the first chapter, where would it go?

Melissa

Post by Melissa » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:43 am

This episode was tops. In Search of the Brain-Eating Nandi Bear was more engaging and ridiculous than ever before. I don't think I can get enough of the phrase, "Smoke Midler". National Geographic Boobs was off-putting at first, but overcame the ew-factor with sheer relentlessness, and I can't wait to share it with my world.

'Followed' was a complete story with all the bits. If it were a lady, stereotypes of construction workers would deafen you with catcalls as it walked by. The only thing I was left wondering was, "Is this new corpse-ridden world much stinkier?" I imagine you would get accustomed to it pretty quickly.

Ham sandwich

Post by Ham sandwich » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:50 pm

The second part of ending of the Chodesworth saga was great! To be honest, I was getting very lost and confused with it all, but the wrap-up really brought it back for me. I suppose that was the intention all along.

The main story was very interesting. Very relevant for the twenty-first century.
Spoiler:
I was unsure of some aspects. Was it at any point explicitly stated in the story that the corpses were drawn solely to the overprivileged/polluters/bad guys? It seemed to me that it was heavily implied, but since the essentially well-meaning protagonist inherited one, I got the hint that maybe there was more to it. This seemed especially the case, since the protagonist's corpse seemed to exhibit more personality or depth than others, as though it were trying to communicate something. At one point I thought the corpse was just trying to return a button to the protagonist, or maybe was even just drawn to the buttons on his shirt since he was wearing that same shirt when the corpse first appeared. I suppose in the end, the corpse was meant to be his guilt, which he eventually accepted/acknowledged, but I like how the story appears to have more layers than the obvious.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Ham sandwich wrote:Was it at any point explicitly stated in the story that the corpses were drawn solely to the overprivileged/polluters/bad guys?
It seemed to be implied, by the tens of thousands corpses surrounding the President, and by a line in the story about the corpses somehow finding masters through some grand "actuarial" calculation. I'm not sure if I interpreted that line completely correctly, but I think an actuary is someone who calculates risk factors for insurance companies to decide how various factors should affect premiums. For instance, a 24 year old male who drives a sports car should have this rate, but a 78 year old woman who drives an Oldsmobile should have another rate. I got the impression that the protagonist at least thinks that some calculation is being done (whether literally or abstractly) for the corpses to find masters. He thinks that, because he drives a hybrid car and tries to live an eco-friendly lifestyle that he doesn't deserve a corpse.

But since the whole story was from his point of view, I am not sure if this was his interpretation of the corpses or if this is widely accepted.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:16 pm

My RSS Demon hasn't pulled 217 down yet, and Saint Tom hasn't added it to the archive, so my only comment thus far is, hey, real cool episode art. :-)

P.S. Any plans to compile Cryptozoology 201 into a b-side episode like you did with the MDW?
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

harper

Post by harper » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:20 pm

This story is a great example of how leaving things unsaid can be a good thing.
I too was intrigued by the actuary angle, that we aren't quite sure how the corpses are paired with people but there clearly is some sort of system in place and it seems to correlate with those who, either through their actions, inactions or even probable actions are responsible for the deaths. And like Norm's hilarious 'Phantom Clause' character who relies on scribbly handwritten lists to exact his revenge on mexican drug lords, the horror lies completely in potential paperwork errors. There must be some sort of mistake Phantom Clause, I've been a good boy! And I'm only 11! And not Mexican! I don't deserve this! Sorry, you're on the list buddy.

The main character in this story feels that he doesn't deserve his fate, and I feel like the end is him coming to terms with the fact that the little girl didn't deserve her fate either. Although I do like the 'accepting death' angle that someone pointed out earlier. I didn't really follow the button thing, or why it mattered if the girl was slightly cognizant or not. I thought the author was going somewhere with that, maybe I just missed it.

And ZOMG, nandi bears was so hilarious!! I love how Connor's obsession with weird boobs is completely cryptozoological in nature instead of sexual. The rap in the song had me cracking up... "like a pair of pantyhose filled with suffocating hamsters". Someone really should go through and count how many boob metaphors happened in this whole series. I just recently listened to the complete Mongolian Deathworm and I can't wait till this one goes out again in full so I can re-listen. Very well put together and I was shocked how the story actually tied up and came together in the end. Great satire of Lost. I want a bumper sticker that says "Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Smoke-Middler".

bo_puppet

Post by bo_puppet » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:40 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:My RSS Demon hasn't pulled 217 down yet, and Saint Tom hasn't added it to the archive, so my only comment thus far is, hey, real cool episode art. :-)

P.S. Any plans to compile Cryptozoology 201 into a b-side episode like you did with the MDW?
That is weird... shouldn't be the case. I had it in iTunes as early as Sunday.

And yeh, the complete Nandi Bear chronicles will be released as B-Sides 15. I'm working on the art now.

PS: using a puppet account because for some weird reason phpBB asked me to approve posts on this topic, which it shouldn't.
This is the puppet account of Bo Kaier, created to test general forum issues, without having admin permissions.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:04 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:My RSS Demon hasn't pulled 217 down yet, and Saint Tom hasn't added it to the archive, so my only comment thus far is, hey, real cool episode art. :-)
Err... That's not good. What RSS deamon are you using? Can you tell me what URL it's using? I'd like to know in case other people are having this problem.

Speaking of which, has anybody else not gotten this episode?

The good URL for MP3 is:
http://www.thedrabblecast.org/feed/podcast/

And M4A is:
http://www.thedrabblecast.org/feed/podcast-m4a/
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Ah. New feed fixed it. Thanks Tom. Yer a saint. ;-)

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:35 am

Awesome story on the basis of creepy originality. It seemed to me that the corpses claimed people that contributed to their demise and that the girl used to be a sweat shop worker in the textile industry. I think she chose him because she made the shirt he was wearing.

I don't see the hanging on to lost ones theory.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:03 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Awesome story on the basis of creepy originality. It seemed to me that the corpses claimed people that contributed to their demise and that the girl used to be a sweat shop worker in the textile industry. I think she chose him because she made the shirt he was wearing.

I don't see the hanging on to lost ones theory.
Yeh, the button/sweat shop labor death was my interpretation of the story. The rough hands bit describing the girl tipped me. Which seems almost petty, you know? The president gets corpses for (here I speculate) approving secret bombings (etc), the main character man, he buys the wrong shirt. A > B, just a bit.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:27 am

Well the president certainly was winning the corpse count race. One might suggest that the sweatshop owner might have been a better choice but the dead don't seem to grasp the concept of moral relativism.

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:44 am

Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:34 am

strawman wrote:Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out
This is Time's Modus Operandi.