Drabblecast 221 - Year of the Rabbit

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 221 - Year of the Rabbit

Post by StalinSays » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:24 pm

Feature: Year of the Rabbit by An Owomoyela

Sunday, October 30, 2011
It used to be that the sun would go down and the streetlamps would come on and make pools of this wet, yellow light. No matter where you stood, you could see the lights on somewhere. You could run from streetlamp to streetlamp and you could look down the streets and you’d never drown in the dark…

Happy Halloween Everyone!

Kimi Alexander
Art by Richard K. Green
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Drabblecast 221 - Year of the Rabbit

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:01 am

Good intro, I always enjoy Norm fighting with himself. The story was good. Not "Pumpkinseeds" good, but fine halloween fare.
Atmospheric music was nailed, as always.
Hey, was something wrong with Kimi's audio? It seemed more muted and distorted than normal.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:53 am

tbaker2500 wrote: Hey, was something wrong with Kimi's audio? It seemed more muted and distorted than normal.
I put a dash of chorus and reverb on her to give a dash of the peculiarly inhuman. Tried to make it subtle. I can understand it fine, but will easily go back and fix if anyone else has problems.
"Give us all some Jelly"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:41 am

normsherman wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote: Hey, was something wrong with Kimi's audio? It seemed more muted and distorted than normal.
I put a dash of chorus and reverb on her to give a dash of the peculiarly inhuman. Tried to make it subtle. I can understand it fine, but will easily go back and fix if anyone else has problems.
No, actually, that is what it sounded like.

Discodave

Post by Discodave » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Like this one. Not exactly what I expected form DC for a Halloween special, but like Tbaker said, the atmospheric music was pulled off quite well. Im getting the sense that a lot of these stories are themed around the end of the world, or a world after something tragic/terrifying has happened.

I was reminded of DC episode 155, The Second Conquest of Earth, in same way they both have an interview/interrogation feel throughout the dialog. My opinion over all, because there are no exact answers or reasons to what’s going on in the story, is that Kimi's character is an alien, or demon. Hence the distorted voice. And that the earth has been washed with a blackness that is eating everything, and that allows these entities to take people and animals away.

Took me a few listens but in all, kinda liked it.

http://Unspeakablegibberer.wordpress.com

alaskancritter

Post by alaskancritter » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:00 pm

Whoa! Creepy. I love how when the world goes to poop, people still push the limits for excitement, So human.

Djinndustries

Post by Djinndustries » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:53 pm

It's pretty rare that I come across stories that are written quite so tightly to evoke an atmosphere without a lot of spare words. I have to admit that An Owomoyela's stories I've heard in this and other podcasts haven't really done it for me (or maybe it's just that she's read for other podcasts...other than Abandonware, I can't think of another one. Did she do the lesbian ownership Arabic one? Or did she just read it?). This one, though, excellent storytelling.

I also got a kick out of the kudos for Kimi's fast turnaround...when I realized she was turning around half a dozen "tell me about _______" phrases. Not that I'm criticizing, since I'm way behind on my DRIP...this week, promise, just had that dawning of humor.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Hey for motivation on DRIP, compare how DRIP'd episodes look in comparison to non-DRIP'd episodes. Pretty Dramatic! E.g., Ep 1-12 are DRIP, 13-36 aren't. Thanks of course to all DRIP doer's, cool stuff.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:34 pm

A good creepy mood piece, very enjoyable (though I didn't get to listening to it until a week after Halloween).

I didn't think that the interrogator was an alien. I think that the darkness itself has turned malevolent, but not intelligent. It is isolating and sealing away everything it finds (perhaps for a very slow digestion). I don't think all those people are dead, they're all just sealed away like the narrator, and the cars, and all the other stuff that's disappeared.

The narrator has been in sensory deprivation for so long, being trapped in a pocket of shadow, that he's hallucinating. The voice is just a manifestation of some part of himself trying to grant human qualities to the malevolent dark.

At least that's what I think. :)

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:16 pm

What do ghosts throw that always come back? boo-merangs
What do ghosts catch that always come back? boo-herpes.
Cryptkeeper Norm is easily one of my favorite things about Halloween.

I LOVED this story. Very creepy and tapped into the basic fear of being alone. "Where am I, and what happened to the world?" Such a perfect line to some up the eerie tension this story creates.

I don't think we can even speculate about who the interrogator is. I thought there was some reference to sharp wires and coils that her kind use. Perfect use of ambiguity, if we knew anything more about her it would become a different story.

Also, I've gone back and listened to the last minute of this story several times. The first time I heard it I teared up big time. It's such a moving moment to me and the delicate piano music makes it all the more poignant. After all that imagery of shadows and moon-lit snow, the bleak hopelessness of being swallowed and entombed in darkness, the narrator's last words are words of hope. "In scraps of noise and cold air coming through the walls, I stay still and listen for her voice." It's so sad and beautiful.
Well done Drabble crew!

cinnamon

Post by cinnamon » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:50 am

Some stories make me think "fffffffffffkkkkkkkkkk what if that was me!?!?" and this is one of them.

Those thoughts are rarely soothing.
Mush, Baby!