Drabblecast 228 - A Fairy Tale of Oakland

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 228 - A Fairy Tale of Oakland

Post by StalinSays » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:28 pm

Feature: A Fairy Tale of Oakland by Tim Pratt
Drabble: Last Christmas by Greg Winkler

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011
In some parts of the world — Austria, Croatia, Hungary — they still remember. They understand. You can’t have something bright without having something dark to balance it. If you’ve got St. Nicholas, you also need the Krampus…

Episode Art: Bo Kaier
Twabble by Steven D. Lidster
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Drabblecast 228 - A Fairy Tale of Oakland

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:28 am

Congratulations to Ma*&($# C*&#24er. Where else but the Drabblecast can you win the right to get stuffed into the Krampus' burlap sack.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:19 am

Impressive in many ways, not the least of which is producing 2 episodes in 3 days at Christmas, while sober.

Tim Pratt is so reliable, I had to check to see if he has written anything I have not really liked, and was treated to a reminder of how delicious Angel of the Ordinary was, with Hearty White narrating. Proving that DC is not just about strange stories, good music and production values.
Rangifer Volans; Annabelle's Alphabet... two wildly different favorites... Thanks, Tim. Thanks, Norm.

I guess one of the things that sets DC apart from other stories, (and the best DC from the rest) is its preference for stories that make me think. Azimov and Clarke, certainly, and predictably. But Connor Choadsworth, too.

A Fairy Tale of Oakland made me think about grace. In a just system, Krampus would be required, right? Justice requires that we get what we deserve. Maybe that's related somehow to "believing in Santa" being a symbol of gullibility and, by association, that Jesus feller. Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

lhoward

Post by lhoward » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:08 pm

That was bad ass. Best holiday story I've heard this season. I want a Krampus carol!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:59 pm

Favorite line- "Cupid, Comet, Blitzen- yea, those sound like reindeer who THINK they can fly."

Excellent intro, Norm.

The story was great! I have a love/hate relationship with Tim Pratt's writing. He's written some of the best stories here, as well as a few that are the worst. (*COUGH*morrisandthemachine*COUGH*)
This one came through with a great, jaded perspective of Oakland. I've never been, but it sure sounds nice! All around well done. Congratulations to the contest winner!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:11 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Favorite line- "Cupid, Comet, Blitzen- yea, those sound like reindeer who THINK they can fly."
Useful tidbits: Donder and Blitzen are German for Thunder and Lightning, and Krampus means "Claw".

How Norm missed "Santa Claws" is a mystery.

Wolfman Joe

Post by Wolfman Joe » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:49 am

Howdy -
Anyone know the name of the artist who played those somber piano versions of Christmas songs over parts of the 'cast? I really dug those songs! Oh, and another great episode, Norm!

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:28 am

strawman wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:
How Norm missed "Santa Claws" is a mystery.

And they called him SANDY CLAWS.....

[Another great episode]

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:52 am

tbaker2500 wrote: The story was great! I have a love/hate relationship with Tim Pratt's writing. He's written some of the best stories here, as well as a few that are the worst. (*COUGH*morrisandthemachine*COUGH*)
While it certainly was as far from a feel-good story as can be, I think the record-setting debate thread it generated (as well as it's appearance as a people-choice nominee) counter your "worst" categorization, Tom.

I know, I know. Art... eye of the beholder, different strokes, yada yada.

I'd personally sell my soul to write just one story that's as good, though.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:03 am

Well, controversial does not equal best. :D

I think that's the good thing about Pratt. His stories are good enough that people feel strongly about them. Which is kinda the point I was trying to make. The stories of his I hate, he is trying to wrap me in a world I don't want to be wrapped in to.

palimpsestia

Post by palimpsestia » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:58 am

I *really* liked this story. Then again, I had a really hard time getting into the "spirit" of things this year, so maybe it's not a surprise that this story found a cold, stony place in my blackened heart.

Christi

Post by Christi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:34 am

I also really enjoyed this story, it was a pretty gloomy Christmas all round. It was refreshing to listen to a story that didn’t try shove “joyful and triumphant” in my face!!!
The Krampus…..this may actually work on the kids!!
Thanks DC!!!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:35 pm

The Drabblecast, where the depressed and lonely hang out! :)

Welcome to the forums, Christi!

themorg

Post by themorg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:12 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:The Drabblecast, where the depressed and lonely hang out! :)

the only thing i miss is community pizza...and i really do not miss it that much
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:47 pm

This must be the year of the Krampus. I'm pretty sure I've never heard of him before this year (I have read and written stories about Santa's other dark helper, Black Pete, but not Krampus), and now suddenly there were 3-4 Krampus stories on the podcasts I listen to.

This one was reasonably good, but I didn't like it as much as the Krampus story that ran on Pseudopod at about the same time. The idea of a magical blessing that you can only bestow on others is an interesting one, though, and the idea that there must be something to balance out the good nature of Santa is cool.

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm kind of sad that both characters were too self-centered to get at the meat of the concept, which is that Krampus is the soft option. Punishment is endured and then over with, and whether you take anything away from it is pretty much up to you; learning virtue and self-restraint is a never-ending process that requires YOU to constantly enforce YOURSELF. The derelict with the gift has struggled with this for years, and has failed to learn his lesson so completely that he wants to resurrect the idea of punishment without self-discipline, an external motivator to help everyone keep in line.

It was a nice thought, Santa. But humans suck too much.

There is a quote from Terry Pratchett's "Feet of Clay" that has always struck me very strongly. Captain Vimes is musing about his ancestor, Old Stoneface, who overthrew the line of kings of Ankh-Morpork:

"He said to people: you're free. And they said hooray, and then he showed them what freedom costs and they called him a tyrant and, as soon as he'd been betrayed, they milled around a bit like barn-bred chickens who've seen the big world outside for the first time, and then they went back in the warm and shut the door..."