Drabblecast 232 – Valentine’s Day With The Gods

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
strawman

Drabblecast 232 – Valentine’s Day With The Gods

Postby strawman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Feature: Valentine's Day with the Gods by Jesse Livingston
Drabble: Each Heart Has its Reason, No Matter How Still by Loren Eaton

Tuesday, February 14th, 2012
The first ‘Go to Hell!’
The Angels did say
To certain poor bastards
On Valentine’s Day;

‘Go to Hell!
We do our job well!
It ain’t who you are
It’s what you can sell…’

On Valentine’s Day,
The World demands Love
With a milk-chocolate fist
In a red tin-foil glove.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

strawman

Re: Drabblecast 232 – Valentine’s Day With The Gods

Postby strawman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:47 pm

Happy Valentine's Day, weirdos!
There may be no better way to say "I love you" than to build a cozy fire to curl up by, and listen to Episode 232, I don't give a damn what the jpeg file name says. Certainly cheaper than chocolates, leopard-print hoody-footies, or giant, lead-tainted teddy bears that will turn your life into an episode of House.

Please humor me here while I get one thing off my chest: As a dedicated DC Slusher, why, oh why! do I never get to read the likes of Jesse Livingston? The exquisite syntactic rhythms, the brushstrokes of pointilistic imagery, marching brave as ants into the gloom, and trying to tame the wretched stillness. I am sure that Jesse made many a creative writing teacher weep, by offering this anathema to Cthulu.

It makes me want to post on the forum the submission of *bleeped for legal reasons* that came in this week's slush. The gentleman describes himself as "one who writes mostly about poop". Some of this stuff just doesn't wash off. (Nathan, we really need to get a Hearty White mp3 file that we can send out to such people to cauterize their creative impulses.)

Okay, thanks. I feel better now.

This is a gem of a story, worth multiple listens. Anyone who wants to write for Drabblecast should study Jesse's style, and Nathan should then send it straight to me, to make up for the criminally abusive stuff.

Oh, and @loyaleagle, very nice 100 character summary of western civilization.

Spoiler:

dromeda

Postby dromeda » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:00 pm

From the outro:
"We can all agree on one thing: the most romantic thing anyone can do for anyone else is just....have a vagina. Just...have a vagina, folks."

I know, I know, this is a "weird stories" podcast and we were just talking about atheist mantises, but really? I'm not even sure I can get into the full wtf-ness of this statement. There's the "A body part possessed by roughly half the world's population is the apex of romance?!", the "Having that body part is something someone can do *for another person*?!", the assumption that everyone would think that a vagina is a desirable thing to have, and I could really go on.

Really, Norm, I'm surprised and disappointed. The story was great, even if the whole engagement buildup seemed mostly like a setup for the bar scene, and the sentiments are cute. But the outro really flabbergasted me. Shame, Norm.

strawman

Postby strawman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:16 pm

I agree, and especially welcome you to the forums, dromeda. That was Norm's petitete talking, and sadly explains his desperate solitude on Valentine's Day.

Spoiler:

dromeda

Postby dromeda » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:12 pm

strawman wrote:I agree, and especially welcome you to the forums, dromeda. That was Norm's petitete talking, and sadly explains his desperate solitude on Valentine's Day.

I'm really, really trying hard not to be an asshole here, so I'm just going to say thank you for the welcome and leave it at that.

Well, one last thing. As kind of a tip for the ol' Norminator- Reducing half the world's population to one body part is a sure guarantee that you will never, ever, get within a million years of ever being able to interact with said part.

Thanks again for the welcome, strawman, and I'm gonna leave it there so I don't keep getting pissed off all over again.

strawman

Postby strawman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:47 pm

I'm really, really trying hard not to be an asshole here, so I'm just going to say thank you for the welcome and leave it at that.

By all means, one must avoid switching fixations from one body part for the other.

Spoiler:

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Also, let it be known that when Strawman shares details of Norm's lonely V Day, that's some Inside Baseball. Take solace. Additionally, I laughed at that part, and will spend tonight sipping brandy with myself and I. Today is a day for justice. And really tacky berry and flowers commercials.

Props to Jerel as always for great art!
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:39 pm

In all fairness, I think Norm is on record as having poked fun at the male naughty bits as well.

The medical books did saddle each gender with such funny sounding names for our generative anatomy.

I'm not sure, however, that you can categorically state with statistical accuracy that 100 percent of vaginal possessors might necessarily feel the same way about the use of the word vagina. Perhaps there are some that don't feel that they are laughing AT their vaginas, so much as they are laughing WITH them.

I dunno Norm, if you never risk occasionally offending someone, you run the risk of becoming uninteresting to everyone, so as far as I'm concerned, don't go changin'.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Scattercat

Postby Scattercat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:29 pm

strawman wrote:It makes me want to post on the forum the submission of *bleeped for legal reasons* that came in this week's slush. The gentleman describes himself as "one who writes mostly about poop". Some of this stuff just doesn't wash off. (Nathan, we really need to get a Hearty White mp3 file that we can send out to such people to cauterize their creative impulses.)

You've had some bad luck with the really disturbing ones, haven't you? Usually I detect them with my slusher-sense (I can detect a terrible story from ten feet away, sometimes just based on the author's initials) and take the bullet to spare you guys, but I missed that one. (Okay, I admit it. I knew it was going to be appalling just from the title, but I was feeling lazy and sent it to you anyway. Mea culpa.)

alhilton

Postby alhilton » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:25 am

dromeda wrote:I know, I know, this is a "weird stories" podcast and we were just talking about atheist mantises, but really? I'm not even sure I can get into the full wtf-ness of this statement.

*snerk* Because stuff Norm says on Drabblecast is always meant to be taken literally and seriously.

Best lines in this one (which I said to myself even before the outro): “How does he hold—“ “He doesn’t play flute, Jim; he was just being polite!”

LOLs

Dolohov

Postby Dolohov » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:37 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Perhaps there are some that don't feel that they are laughing AT their vaginas, so much as they are laughing WITH them.

Which, if you think about it, would be one hell of a ventriloquism act.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:23 am

Scattercat wrote:
strawman wrote:It makes me want to post on the forum the submission of *bleeped for legal reasons* that came in this week's slush. The gentleman describes himself as "one who writes mostly about poop". Some of this stuff just doesn't wash off. (Nathan, we really need to get a Hearty White mp3 file that we can send out to such people to cauterize their creative impulses.)

You've had some bad luck with the really disturbing ones, haven't you? Usually I detect them with my slusher-sense (I can detect a terrible story from ten feet away, sometimes just based on the author's initials) and take the bullet to spare you guys, but I missed that one. (Okay, I admit it. I knew it was going to be appalling just from the title, but I was feeling lazy and sent it to you anyway. Mea culpa.)

I think I ran into the "writes mostly about poop" guy when I did my stint in the slush-trenches. I'll never question the bravery of any slush reader in general, and the DC slush-readers in particular.

loyaleagle

Postby loyaleagle » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:23 am

Discussion of outros aside, I just wanted to thank the Drabblecast gods for promoting my little Twabble. Was great fun to write (and my first one).

Oh and I did enjoy the main fiction, though I felt like the whole engagement ring/metal finger thing could have been its own story, as it didn't add TOO much to the second act. Couldn't they have just been young lovers. There could even have been some foreshadowing about cults that worship unspeakable horrors.
Blog: Science Is Magic
[Dead] Podcast: Synthetic Voices
-My monthly picks for great speculative audio fiction

Drabblecast Competitions
Winning Twabble Episodes: 232, 234, 239, 256
Winning Drabble Episodes: 243

Scattercat

Postby Scattercat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:54 am

dromeda wrote:From the outro:
"We can all agree on one thing: the most romantic thing anyone can do for anyone else is just....have a vagina. Just...have a vagina, folks."

Shame, Norm.

If I may, I think the point of the joke here was that he opened with "we can all agree" and then closed with a blindingly self-centered, ignorant, and borderline crude request. I can grok not thinking it was particularly funny, of course, but I doubt Norm was expecting all, most, or any of his audience to actually agree that this is the "most romantic thing."

The problem with using sexist/racist/offensive things to mock sexism/racism/offensiveness is that one runs the risk of being taken seriously and either actually offending someone or inadvertently giving moral support to actual racist/sexist/whatever buttheads.

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:10 am

Scattercat's my valentine.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Scattercat

Postby Scattercat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:39 am

normsherman wrote:Scattercat's my valentine.

If you ever need a joke pedantically explained until it is no longer funny, in fact until the point where the effect travels backwards in time and causes the joke to never have been funny, then I, sir, am your man. Cat. Person. Whatever.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:43 am

Scattercat wrote:
normsherman wrote:Scattercat's my valentine.

If you ever need a joke pedantically explained until it is no longer funny, in fact until the point where the effect travels backwards in time and causes the joke to never have been funny, then I, sir, am your man. Cat. Person. Whatever.

I believe it's already been established that if you want to be Norm's valentine, you are gonna need a vagina, SC.

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:06 am

Scattercat wrote:If you ever need a joke pedantically explained until it is no longer funny, in fact until the point where the effect travels backwards in time and causes the joke to never have been funny, then I, sir, am your man. Cat. Person. Whatever.

Valentine damnit! tis all I require!!
"Give us all some Jelly"

whatever

Postby whatever » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:23 pm

I loved the story. Between the bit where the finance was showing off her ring to passerbys by giving them the finger, to the movie with a sleeping cat to the line about love being able to "...calm the jibbering fear that haunts the sleepless hours..." I thought it was great. The outro was classic Norm Sherman --- this is the guy who wrote "Heartbreak Over Innsmouth" and "National Geographic Boobs" after all.

strawman

Postby strawman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:55 pm

Ah, yes, I had forgotten about the Nathional Geographic boobs bit. But how could anyone forget the early fixation on the special place in Norm's "imagination" for root vegetables (Rutabaga), comic books (Uncle Ollie's Gift), and Alien Plans (Code Brown).

For sure, Norm is no stranger to the body part borderlands. But how can you know you've crossed the border if you never get shot at?

Spoiler:

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”