Drabblecast 234 – Jagannath

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Unblinking

Re: Drabblecast 234 – Jagannath

Post by Unblinking » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:56 pm

El Barto wrote:I loved this one too but felt just a bit cheated/mislead because the descriptions were so completely human and the mother seemed to be a machine/animal hybrid. I would have preferred to learn at the end that it was stomach bacteria and then go back and listen for clues that I missed the first time.
No, I think you were right the first time. I think the things inside were described as human and the mother as machine/animal hybrid. Even besides the descriptions it can't be anything as simple as stomach bacteria because stomach bacteria will not take on the form of its host upon the hosts death. So something more is definitely going on than mere gastro-intestinal microbes.

mrund

Post by mrund » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Loved this story too! Proud to find a fellow Swede featured on the Drabblecast.
Unblinking wrote:Everything we'd seen about Mother up to then made me think that she was essentially a vehicle for humans, but separate from humans. She referred to processors and memory and being irreparable, etc, that made me think she was essentially mechanical though with some squishy interfaces. So it really didn't fit into the worldview I'd built up so farwhen the girl started turning into a centipede.
I agree. Still a great story though.

Tesseract

Post by Tesseract » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:57 am

Unblinking wrote: No, I think you were right the first time. I think the things inside were described as human and the mother as machine/animal hybrid. Even besides the descriptions it can't be anything as simple as stomach bacteria because stomach bacteria will not take on the form of its host upon the hosts death. So something more is definitely going on than mere gastro-intestinal microbes.
What I got from this story is that Mother was basically an ark for human DNA while the world outside her shell was to lethal for human use. At the end the torch needed to be passed or else that viable gene pool dies off completely.
Oh goddess, there's a little yellow man following me everywhere I go!
As children flock to their deranged god, his great purple lips flap open. I love you and You love me. We're a happy family.
My Blog: http://fromthe4d.wordpress.com/

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Whoa, what an awesome episode to start catching up with all the episodes I have been missing! I can only agree with everyone: great, great story!

Funny note: today I'm starting with antibiotics that will hopefully help me get rid of the stomach aches I have been having for a long time. When I saw strawman's post with the image of the helicobacter pylori, the thought crossed my mind to NOT start with the antibiotics. Who knows how many Rocks I'll be killing this week?

Ah well, Mother does need to get on with her life. Sometimes you can only do that by killing a few Rocks. I will carry her in my mind forever.
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:24 am

StalinSays wrote:PS: My thinking was very centered on biology and futures, but there is a whole metaphysical aspect to this story. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagannath.
I came across the Hindu diety Jaganath in some reading today; didn't know about this or see your post Bo so I missed that whole connection. Jaganath is a Hindu diety that I think Tidbeck references quite cleverly in her title for two reasons: The implicit connection to caste systems (Hindu and insectile), and also that the particular form of the Hindu Lord Jaganath is not well understood and the subject of some controversy-- various religious groups interpret his bodily representation differently (much like we all have on the forums!)
Ironically,the godhead is frequently described as having NO visible arms or legs, as opposed to our many-limbed Mother in the story.

"Give us all some Jelly"