Drabblecast 106 - Boiled Black Broth and Cornets

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics

My favorite part of this story was:

Becke Beiderbix
13%
Bix Beiderbecke
13%
Boiled Black Broth
27%
Halibut
33%
Voodoo Zombie-Persons
13%

Total votes: 15

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:39 am

Dr. Sax wrote:
It's all about the conical boar guys. Introduce your even harmonics! If you don't like it, then just stay a cylinder.
Ur, Isn't that supposed to be "bore"?
Or is it Borenette?!
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:59 am

strawman wrote:
Dr. Sax wrote:
It's all about the conical boar guys. Introduce your even harmonics! If you don't like it, then just stay a cylinder.
Ur, Isn't that supposed to be "bore"?
Or is it Borenette?!
Is the conical boar a creature for next years super monster death-match?

salimfadhley

Re:

Post by salimfadhley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:13 pm

LajesticVantrashellofLob wrote:I really loved this piece, especially since I listen to Hooting Yard. I loved that there were a few references to the Hooting Yard universe - Pointytown, a certain pamphleteer, etc. The narration was great, too. I occasionally imagined what it would have been like if Frank Key had read it, but then it wouldn't have had the same feel to it, I think. It probably would have been read without as much expression as Norm put into it. To each his own, I suppose.

Great stuff all around - can't wait for next week!
I do the Drabblecast submitting for Frank. We agreed not to submit any stories featuring [ Dobson / Blodgett / Tiny Enid / Bobnit Tivol / Inspector Cargpan... etc ] stories since we figured that most Drabblecast listeners would be too overwhelmed by wondering who these characters are to enjoy the story.

In the original version of this story, the telephone directories were actually metal-tapping machine directories. Apparently the telephone does not exist in Hooting Yard.

Do not try to think too hard about this.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Drabblecast 106- Boiled Black Broth and Cornets by Frank Key

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:03 pm

Hee hee.. Thanks for the insight!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Unblinking

Re: Drabblecast 106- Boiled Black Broth and Cornets by Frank

Post by Unblinking » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:31 pm

This one was interesting with a lot of silly details, but I kept getting held up on the premise that deep black soup can mesmerize. If something deep black would have that effect, wouldn't it happen every time you turn the lights off? Or to blind people?

salimfadhley

Post by salimfadhley » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:17 am

Most of Frank's stories require some suspension of dis-belief: I think you need to just accept that in the same way that you might be OK with FTP space-ships or talking robots. None of these things exist in the real world (yet) but we can imagine that they do.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:44 pm

salimfadhley wrote:Most of Frank's stories require some suspension of dis-belief: I think you need to just accept that in the same way that you might be OK with FTP space-ships or talking robots. None of these things exist in the real world (yet) but we can imagine that they do.
I don't often have problems with suspension of disbelief. FTL ships are great, as are talking robots. I even tend to like more extremely ludicrous technologies like Douglas Adams' Infinite Improbability Drive. But suspension failed me in this case. Why? Because blackness is something that occurs everyday to lots of people without being mesmerized--there's got to be more about it than just the blackness.

I had a similar problem with a recent story I read where a mad scientist surgically conjoined two separate twins, and the combined efficiency of their organs instantly turned them into a being of super-strength and super-endurance. Which MIGHT have worked for me, except that there are ACTUAL conjoined twins in our world and none of them seem to have super-strength or super-endurance, despite having two sets of some organs. For that speculative element to work for me there had to be a better explanation of their abilities (even a handwavey solution would be something) for me to buy it, just as hypnosis by blackness here.

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:23 pm

It wasn't mere blackness. It was magic broth.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

salimfadhley

Post by salimfadhley » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:32 pm

“This is my own home-made soup,” she announced, “For in addition to building the fortress and learning the cornet I have taken a correspondence course in devising original soup recipes. In your bowl you have what I dubbed Becke Beiderbix’s Boiled Black Broth, in which every single ingredient begins with the letter B. As you can see, it is a black soup, of a black so black that if you stare at it, instead of spooning it into your mouth, you will become entranced, pretty much like a voodoo zombie-person, and be entirely within my power.”
You could try to analyse what Frank intended here - however I suspect that the broth is black simply because both words start with B, as do the names of the protagonist. Mr. Key is rather fond of this kind of word-play.

Sal

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:50 pm

salimfadhley wrote:
“This is my own home-made soup,” she announced, “For in addition to building the fortress and learning the cornet I have taken a correspondence course in devising original soup recipes. In your bowl you have what I dubbed Becke Beiderbix’s Boiled Black Broth, in which every single ingredient begins with the letter B. As you can see, it is a black soup, of a black so black that if you stare at it, instead of spooning it into your mouth, you will become entranced, pretty much like a voodoo zombie-person, and be entirely within my power.”
You could try to analyse what Frank intended here - however I suspect that the broth is black simply because both words start with B, as do the names of the protagonist. Mr. Key is rather fond of this kind of word-play.

Sal
The text you quoted says specifically that the blackness was what was hypnotic.

Anyway, that's just one person's opinion, so no worries for those who don't agree.