Drabblecast 106 - Boiled Black Broth and Cornets

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics

My favorite part of this story was:

Becke Beiderbix
13%
Bix Beiderbecke
13%
Boiled Black Broth
27%
Halibut
33%
Voodoo Zombie-Persons
13%

Total votes: 15

Mr. Tweedy

Drabblecast 106 - Boiled Black Broth and Cornets

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:49 pm

Boiled Black Broth and Cornets by Frank Key

The Becke Beiderbix Bix Beiderbecke Tribute Cornet Octet, featuring newcomers Bixder Beibecke, Beike Bixderbec, Kebec Bixderbei, Bixbec Beiderke, Beibix Becderke, Derke Bixbecbei, Kebeider Bixbec, and Bixke Derbeibec will perform a show of Bix Beiderbecke classics.

Drabble - Deep in Flemming by David Steele

Music by The Rhythmic Eight, Seraphic Panoply and (or course) Norm Sherman.

Hooting Yard

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:24 pm

Drabbles are sometimes
like haiku their meaning is
too tantalizing

The story was, I thought, a showcase for Norm. I tried to imagine how it would have been if I had read it, but after hearing it, it's hard to be sure because, as you read, you'd be hearing Norm read it, so what you're left with is "Sherman in your head Syndrome". DC is kinda like Becky Biederbix's boiled black broth.

I'll bet this story would go down quite nicely with a piping hot plateful of burping worms. :idea:
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:37 pm

Drabblecast + Frank Key = fun.

Whilst listening to the story, I also heard in my head how Frank would read it. Two entirely different beasts. Frank always sounds so indifferent, Norm so earnest.

But best of all, I got to hear Frank Key without that gawd awful Caucasian Lullaby music Resonance FM uses.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

delfedd

Post by delfedd » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:54 pm

I really liked the drabble. It was kind of cycular. Like you could continue reading it over and over.

Here's a question.

What the bleep happened in that story? I got the voodoo zombie part. But Why did she go absolutely insane? Why'd she become a Big Bad Evil Girl? I feel like someone is going to come in with a zeppelin and save the day.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:09 pm

delfedd wrote:Here's a question.

What the bleep happened in that story? I got the voodoo zombie part. But Why did she go absolutely insane? Why'd she become a Big Bad Evil Girl? I feel like someone is going to come in with a zeppelin and save the day.
She wanted to lead a jazz band called "The Becke Beiderbix Bix Beiderbecke Tribute Cornet Octet featuring Bixder Beibecke, Beike Bixderbec, Kebec Bixderbei, Bixbec Beiderke, Beibix Becderke, Derke Bixbecbei, Kebeider Bixbec, and Bixke Derbeibec." It was her dream, and she found a way to pull it off.

She was a "can do" kind of person.
Advertise in this space!

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:29 pm

Wow, great story. This one was much easier to follow than the last Frank Key offering. It was suitably bizarre, but it was fairly obvious what was going on. I'm pretty impressed with that line, too Norm. How many takes did you need for the story? And what about the outro?

Two points of order, both regarding cornets. First, the word 'cornet' is pronounced with the accent on the first syllable, not the last.

Second, I'm about 80% sure the instrument in the picture is not a cornet, but a trumpet. You can tell by the way the tubing flares between the valve casing and the bell. The number of turns in the tubing between the mouthpiece and the valve casing is also something of a clue, although not conclusive.

Having said that, it could be a 'long cornet' which is looks like a trumpet and sounds somewhere between the two instruments. They only ever became popular in the US concert band scene (it seems Becke's famous namesake might have used a traditional cornet, but I've seen pictures of him holding what could be the longer form.)

Here's a picture of a more traditional cornet courtesy of Wikipedia. Click through to get the right aspect ratio:

(It's probably become a little clear that I am a cornet player---in fact, I have one sitting on a case right next to me. It's pretty banged up, but in better nick than the trumpet in the photo though. Just where did that picture come from?)
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:50 pm

cammoblammo wrote:Just where did that picture come from?
http://lsm.crt.state.la.us/collections/jazz.htm
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:10 pm

cammoblammo wrote: How many takes did you need for the story? And what about the outro?
I had to practice the line for about 45 minutes to say it fast, not easy. But now I can do it in my sleep. Motor-mouth memory maybe.
cammoblammo wrote:
Two points of order, both regarding cornets. First, the word 'cornet' is pronounced with the accent on the first syllable, not the last.
Oh.My.God. This is the other reason the episode was late. I embarked on a quest to find the pronunciation of this word, referencing several online pronunciation guides/dictionaries, which often conflicted. A giant debate opened up when I started asking friends one night- is it cor-nehtt? Cornit? Where's the accent? Does it rhyme with hornet? Yes! No? Well how do you pronounce hornet? That's not how I pronounce it! AGH! I was about to ask Frank if we could just call it a trumpet, but then a trumpet player told me that in the US people pronounce it cor-nett, although most people incorrectly call it a "coronet". I should have twittered you, totally forgot you were a brass guy.
"Give us all some Jelly"

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:30 pm

normsherman wrote:
cammoblammo wrote: How many takes did you need for the story? And what about the outro?
I had to practice the line for about 45 minutes to say it fast, not easy. But now I can do it in my sleep. Motor-mouth memory maybe.
cammoblammo wrote:
Oh.My.God. This is the other reason the episode was late. I embarked on a quest to find the pronunciation of this word, referencing several online pronunciation guides/dictionaries, which often conflicted. A giant debate opened up when I started asking friends one night- is it cor-nehtt? Cornit? Where's the accent? Does it rhyme with hornet? Yes! No? Well how do you pronounce hornet? That's not how I pronounce it! AGH! I was about to ask Frank if we could just call it a trumpet, but then a trumpet player told me that in the US people pronounce it cor-nett, although most people incorrectly call it a "coronet". I should have twittered you, totally forgot you were a brass guy.
Well, if you got it wrong, it wasn't through lack of effort. Let's just say there are regional differences in pronunciation and we'll walk away friends. Deal?

(As an aside, there is a very old brass instrument called the 'cornett' that is no relation to the instrument I play. I also play a bit of clarinet, which is sometimes confused with 'coronet' which is a fancy word for crown, I believe. Sometimes I just prefer 'horn.' It's completely wrong, but it's so much easier...)
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:33 pm

Drabblecast and Hootingyard is a match made in heaven. Great show!
Frank Key uses the best words- I still remember "finnicky bitty-bobs" "corrugated cardboard" and "sulfuric spittle" from Far Far Away.
The only way a hunchback named Mungo can be improved upon is if it is 'gibbering'.

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:51 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:
cammoblammo wrote:Just where did that picture come from?
http://lsm.crt.state.la.us/collections/jazz.htm
Holy haleakala! That's Louis Armstrong's cornet! I do stand corrected, although I will mutter something about Americans trying to make brass instruments look and sound like other instruments. If you want an instrument to look and sound like a trumpet, why not get a trumpet? And don't get me started with what they did to the mid-range saxhorns!

I don't know if you realise or not, but there's a picture of one of Bix Beiderbecke's cornets there too. It actually looks like a cornet. I feel better now.

salimfadhley

Post by salimfadhley » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:10 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Drabblecast + Frank Key = fun.

Whilst listening to the story, I also heard in my head how Frank would read it. Two entirely different beasts. Frank always sounds so indifferent, Norm so earnest..
Frank's version will be on his podcast sometime this month. Norm's version is the podcasting debut of the story.

salimfadhley

Post by salimfadhley » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:13 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:She wanted to lead a jazz band called "The Becke Beiderbix Bix Beiderbecke Tribute Cornet Octet featuring Bixder Beibecke, Beike Bixderbec, Kebec Bixderbei, Bixbec Beiderke, Beibix Becderke, Derke Bixbecbei, Kebeider Bixbec, and Bixke Derbeibec." It was her dream, and she found a way to pull it off.
That's how i read the story... Becke is not evil, she's just a really avid jazz fan.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:33 am

cammoblammo wrote:

Not that I'd ever imply that Wikipedia could get something wrong, but that sure looks more like a Flugelhorn than a Cornet to me.

(another brass guy... well at least I was in High School...)

EDIT: Hmmm maybe not, it's hard to tell the scale withough some sort of reference, and the lower tubing doesn't loop around low enough for a Flugelhorn now that I look at it some more. I guess the bottom line on this post is I just like saying Flugelhorn...

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:31 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:
cammoblammo wrote:

Not that I'd ever imply that Wikipedia could get something wrong, but that sure looks more like a Flugelhorn than a Cornet to me.

(another brass guy... well at least I was in High School...)

EDIT: Hmmm maybe not, it's hard to tell the scale withough some sort of reference, and the lower tubing doesn't loop around low enough for a Flugelhorn now that I look at it some more. I guess the bottom line on this post is I just like saying Flugelhorn...
No, that's definitely a cornet. The lead pipe on the flugel goes straight into the valve case, and the bell is much longer and completely conical.

In fact, the way that picture is squished up in the browser makes it look like a 'Captain's Cornet,' which was a compact version made to fit in the pocket. It was so named because they were very popular in the Salvation Army. The idea was that the player (frequently with the rank of 'Captain') could put it in his pocket and pull it out and play a hymn tune whenever appropriate.

These days we just walk around with MP3 players loaded up.

And don't make excuses. If you want to say 'flugelhorn,' you don't need an excuse!

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:16 am

One thing I should have said before I got sidetracked with the identity of the instrument in the photo was that this was actually a really good story.

It was pretty easy to get wrapped up with the great production and the overall absurdity of the piece. Apart from that, it's a solid piece of fiction that would still have worked if the details weren't so strange.

So well done Norm, and double well done Frank.

devora

Post by devora » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:20 am

Goal for the week: to use 'flugelhorn' and 'halibut' in conversation w/ someone. Hopefully wi/ the same sentence. I know I can do it if I find the right crowd.

Great reading, as usual. That sentence w/ all the names was Olympic: wow. And Key is so so weirdly wonderful.

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:49 am

devora wrote:Goal for the week: to use 'flugelhorn' and 'halibut' in conversation w/ someone. Hopefully wi/ the same sentence. I know I can do it if I find the right crowd.
The flugel player in our band is a very keen fisherman. Doing it with class, there's the trick.

(There's an idea for a Drabblecast forum game. Somebody picks two words that have to be used in a sentence, then we compare stories about how we did it. Bonus points if you tell us in an iambic pentameter drabble.)

Look out for the new forum topic...

LajesticVantrashellofLob

Post by LajesticVantrashellofLob » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:46 am

I really loved this piece, especially since I listen to Hooting Yard. I loved that there were a few references to the Hooting Yard universe - Pointytown, a certain pamphleteer, etc. The narration was great, too. I occasionally imagined what it would have been like if Frank Key had read it, but then it wouldn't have had the same feel to it, I think. It probably would have been read without as much expression as Norm put into it. To each his own, I suppose.

Great stuff all around - can't wait for next week!
Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules. Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.

You're always the hero in your own story - life is about not being the villain in anyone else's.

Dr. Sax

Post by Dr. Sax » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:35 am

Brilliant! I really liked Becky's quirky personality; a character I connected with very well. I'm glad she achieved her goals, because they were good goals. If I was into performing, I might just try to do the same thing.

It's all about the conical boar guys. Introduce your even harmonics! If you don't like it, then just stay a cylinder.