Drabblecast 239 – Killing The Morrow

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 239 – Killing The Morrow

Postby StalinSays » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:00 am

Feature: Killing The Morrow by Robert Reed
Drabble: Pauli's Fallacy by Loren Eaton

Friday, April 13th, 2012
You know, I’ve heard my share of disembodied voices. I’m accustomed to their fickle, sometimes bizarre demands. But tonight’s voice is different, clear as gin and utterly compelling. I must listen…

Art by John Deberge

Twabble: "Heard you got pulled over by the thought police the other night." "Yeah I was thinking a mile a minute - in a school zone!" by loyaleagle
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

strawman

Re: Drabblecast 239 – Killing The Morrow

Postby strawman » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Is anyone else noticing the lack of a "Play" feature on this week's episode?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:44 pm

I'll look into it.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:51 pm

The MP3 hasn't been posted, it looks like. I made sure he knew about it, and he'll take care of it.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:47 pm

Fixed. It's up now.

JangusKhan

Postby JangusKhan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:41 am

Been listening to the Drabblecast for a while now, but this is the first story that pushed me to joining the forums (not to say that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed the vast majority).

I thought this was an excellent take on the possibilities that time-line manipulation could offer, with a dark and unnerving flavor to boot. The ending was a good mix of "Win for the home team" coupled with the unsettling reality of a world ravaged by... its own future inhabitants.

cinnamon

Postby cinnamon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:33 am

I'm not sure why, but this story made me ridiculously happy.
Mush, Baby!

loyaleagle

Postby loyaleagle » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:27 am

Thanks so much for picking me again for the Twabble contest! Also, this week's story was fantastic. I really enjoyed something "out there" that legitimately kept me both informed (this is happening now as I do this) and completely in the dark (what the heck happened to the world??). Definitely gonna mention this one on my Synthetic Voices podcast for April :) Norm did a great job as always!
Blog: Science Is Magic
[Dead] Podcast: Synthetic Voices
-My monthly picks for great speculative audio fiction

Drabblecast Competitions
Winning Twabble Episodes: 232, 234, 239, 256
Winning Drabble Episodes: 243

Surf Vampire

Postby Surf Vampire » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:07 am

I really liked this story - an interesting take on the 'sound of thunder' idea writ larger. I imagined the future earthlings as the ultra-elite 0.1%, not only content to consume the resources of the present and ruin the world for the future, but also reaching back to consume the resources of the past.
----------------
Jeff C. Carter
"I drink your MILKshake!"

http://www.jeffccarter.wordpress.com

Richmazzer

Postby Richmazzer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:17 pm

That was one of my favorite stories this year. My other, Fairytale of Oakland, also had a homeless person as first person narrator... hmm, coincidence I wonder? Maybe in another time/dimension of the multiverse I'm living in a box in an alley too.

I thought the pacing was really well done in this story, the clues as to what was happening were gradual and well-timed. I agree with Surf Vampire, there was a sense that these future invaders were an elite class (Get me water! I want water now!) going around the wishes of others in the future that were powerless to stop them.

And if you think about it, that's exactly how this would play out if the future world was damned but also had access to time travel technology. I can already see the rightwing and leftwing arguing on CNN, justifications like
"This doom was brought on by global warming that WE didn't start! It was our ancestors, screw them!"
"No, it was your party's historic anti-birth control agenda that led to this!"
Meanwhile, nobody wants to admit that they secretly traveled back to tickle grandpa's balls once, and that might have caused it. Nobody wants to take any responsibility whatsoever.

Speaking of the line about grandpa's balls, while funny, it seemed a bit out of place to me in a story this dark. Probably just me though.

Really enjoyed the music production in this one too, it added the perfect ambiance. Bravo!

Mikes

Postby Mikes » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:13 am

This was a weird one. I started off really not enjoying teh story. I don't know why, perhaps it was the vague approach to how and why everyone was there, but by the end I was blocking everything else out and was loving it.

I loved the take on time travel, and the style. This is already a frontrunner for my pick of year's best.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

Surf Vampire

Postby Surf Vampire » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:22 am

Agreed, the ball imagery took me out of the story a little took, but I filed that under "uncouth homeless narrator" perspective. I wonder if the homeless guy was chosen as one of the 'insurgents' specifically for some deeply rooted violent streak or issue with authority.

All in all a well told, well paced, chilling and scientifically satisfying story. <--- that sentence is odd :oops:
----------------
Jeff C. Carter
"I drink your MILKshake!"

http://www.jeffccarter.wordpress.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:42 am

I think, if I had a nice quiet time, where I really wanted to listen to a story which transported me to another time and place, I would have enjoyed this story. Unfortunately, I've listened to this story at night, while driving to and from work, and while trying to get the damn drabblecast.org site to accept some DARP updates. It was just too slow a story for me right now.

I don't deny it was good, I'll go back and listen again sometime when I'm patient.

I think the hairy balls line was thrown in just for the Drabblecast.

Scattercat

Postby Scattercat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:52 am

tbaker2500 wrote:I think the hairy balls line was thrown in just for the Drabblecast.

For goodness' sake, don't give the authors any ideas. I already have to watch over my shoulder if I check the slushpile at work.

Unblinking

Postby Unblinking » Wed May 23, 2012 3:03 pm

This is the only Drabblecast episode I ever remember stopping in the middle of. It wasn't that I was offended or anything, it just felt like it was circling endlessly around its destination with no end to the spiral in sight. The main story was kind of interesting, though to the point that I'd listened to it it's more likely that rather than time travel it's a group of schizophrenic homeless people who've decided they share a voice in their head, and the dreams about time travel weren't clearly actually part of the story, felt more like the author's musings. I guess I just got sick of waiting for something to happen that I cared about, and gave it up at some point.

Regarding the balls line, that line makes me think about how one word in a quote can change how much I like it. In this case, I thought the word "hairy" was misplaced, making the quote less profound just for the sake of being more vulgar. If the quote had said "You don't have to kill your grandfather, you just have to tickle his balls." it would not have lost any of the meaning, and wouldn't have added in a completely irrelevant word--I'd guess that most postpubescent balls are hairy, but that's not really relevant, and if gramps shaves down there it doesn't make the ball-tickling less effective!

eric_marsh

Postby eric_marsh » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:35 pm

I enjoyed this story a great deal. I had a twist on time travel that I'd never heard before.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Postby Varda » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:20 pm

I thought this story was clever, well-told, and chilling, with a nice ending. But one thing kept me from enjoying it: the strange and alienating misogynistic undertones. The main female character, "the woman", is characterized as stupid and passive and obsessed with teh babiiez, which makes sense given that she's being brainwashed. What didn't work for me was the narrator's not-so-thinly veiled contempt of her as a result. A contempt that really emerges and escalates when he's cock-blocked. And then, after she's no longer sexually available, you get his fantasies about bashing her face in, justified by the fact that she's helping the invaders, which is silly given that practically everyone's being brainwashed except the lucky few who've been contacted by the other voice.

I was ready to give all of that a pass until the end of the story, in which our narrator gets rewarded for saving humanity when a sexually available woman willing to bear his offspring falls into his arms. This was just way too much of the "women exist for sex and babies" theme to let it pass, and IMHO, lazy storytelling.

Perhaps this was entirely intentional on the author's part - unreliable narrator and all of that - but if so, the misogynistic thread added nothing to the story for me personally. It unintentionally epitomized some of the ongoing problems we have in the sci-fi world with gender. I'm all about liberal creative license and am not arguing for political correctness or such - just that there's a problem when an author, unable to figure out how to write women like human beings, resorts to the old "men are characters, women are plot devices" fallback. It's just weak storytelling and needlessly alienating.

I now present myself for ritual disembowelment.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:44 pm

Varda wrote:I now present myself for ritual disembowelment.

We try not to let that happen around here.

I didn't like the woman character, but hadn't characterized why. I think you are mostly correct about your points.

strawman

Postby strawman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:43 pm

It is always the wrong people , anyway.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Postby Varda » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:26 pm

tbaker2500 wrote: We try not to let that happen around here.

Thanks, this is very refreshing. I'm used to donning my Gawker/Kotaku-strength flame retardant body armor when I say stuff like that. Grateful I get to keep my bowels for another day.

You get more mileage out of a ritual sacrifice under a new moon anyway. At least in my experience. :twisted:
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”