Drabblecast 241 - The Dead

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
noeyesmcgee
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:21 pm
Location: Atlanta area
Contact:

Re: Drabblecast 241 - The Dead

Post by noeyesmcgee » Wed May 09, 2012 5:44 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
strawman wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote: I, also, was surprised by the sex change.
Really? I had missed it.
Sorry, no. I meant that fact that we expected a sex scene with the bitch, then it didn't happen because of the zombie "present".
What I think we are refering to and what heinlein was talking about is the idea that we exchange the real for the cheap imitation. And the Zombies (stand in for what we detest about modern society/pop culture) are what we substitute for real relationship because we don't think we like who we are. This is part of what I enjoyed about the story in that while he bathed us in a story that was very dark and hip (for lack of a better term) he made a biting critique of that hip culture and peoples penchant for using it to cover over their lives. It was awesome. :twisted:

User avatar
Travelin Corpse Feet
Member
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:07 am
Location: New England

Re: Drabblecast 241 - The Dead

Post by Travelin Corpse Feet » Thu May 10, 2012 4:03 am

On the one hand I like the idea of zombies effectively creating an economic apocalypse, but my one trouble with this idea is thus: after these brilliant industrialists fire all of their workers, who the hell is going to be left to spend their paychecks on anything? It feels tremendously shortsighted.

At the same time I'm jaded enough to think that some jackass or group of jackasses would still try this due to the opportunity for massive personal gain, so I guess what I said above might only be a reason why the zombo-econocalypse is sure to happen.
Image
A story of love, lust and violence and a man in a jam.

'"Well, Here I Am" My blogogna.

My Twitter feed, Scribblepodium, is good for a laugh or a cry.

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4251
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Drabblecast 241 - The Dead

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu May 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Seemed to me to be a warning story about the dangers of outsourcing taken to it's natural conclusion. With jobs being outsourced from the living to the dead, (who have a tendency to not unionize... well unless you let them gather en massé around a shopping mall, that is.)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
cinnamon
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 11:27 pm
Location: MN

Re: Drabblecast 241 - The Dead

Post by cinnamon » Fri May 11, 2012 1:15 am

Travelin Corpse Feet wrote:On the one hand I like the idea of zombies effectively creating an economic apocalypse, but my one trouble with this idea is thus: after these brilliant industrialists fire all of their workers, who the hell is going to be left to spend their paychecks on anything? It feels tremendously shortsighted
The other thing I had trouble with was the assumption that everyone would prefer the company of their zombie sex slaves to other humans. Maybe that was the chick's crazy talking, maybe it was supposed to be a comment about how detached we're becoming from each other and our humanity, maybe maybe maybe a bunch of things. But while my old and jaded crunchy coating digs it, the idea doesn't ring true with my soft and gooey optimist center.
Mush, Baby!

User avatar
Christi
Member
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:19 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Drabblecast 241 - The Dead

Post by Christi » Sat May 12, 2012 12:39 pm

Wow! A lot of references to things I don’t understand, maybe I have been away for too long.
Regarding morals and abusing communicative peas, where does one draw the line on morals?
If you had a choice between sending your child to war or sending a reanimated corpse instead, what would you choose? I would choose the corpse. A company can only make a profit off something if there is a public prepared to buy the product. So then who is corrupt?

I loved this story, it had me thinking about ethics, moral choices and practical solutions all day and long into the night

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Drabblecast 241 - The Dead

Post by strawman » Sat May 12, 2012 2:12 pm

cinnamon wrote: But while my old and jaded crunchy coating digs it, the idea doesn't ring true with my soft and gooey optimist center.
It is this kind of talk that makes zombie children clamor for brains.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Unblinking
Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:50 am

Re: Drabblecast 241 - The Dead

Post by Unblinking » Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm

This story was all right. I liked the ideas in it, presenting the idea of a different kind of zompocalypse, although at the same time the whole thing feels very similar to propoganda meant to suppress subsets of a culture: the Chinese railroad workers are stealing our jobs, the Communists are hiding among us to destroy our society. That similar feeling makes me skeptical that it's going to be as bad the implications say that it will be even though I can see plenty of room for bad things to happen.

In the end though I felt the story was too long, it had some ideas that were worth exploring, but I didn't care in the slightest about any of the characters, and so it felt like it overstayed its welcome. it could've explored the ideas themselves in less time and then it wouldn't have felt so padded. The boxing scene, for instance, just seemed like fluff--obviously a zombie would have the advantage in a fistfight because it doesn't feel pain, I don't need to be shown that.

Post Reply