Drabblecast 245 – A Nice Jewish Golem

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 245 – A Nice Jewish Golem

Post by StalinSays » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:37 pm

Feature: A Nice Jewish Golem by Ao-Hui Lin
Drabble: Alive! by Laurence Simon

Sunday, June 10th, 2012
Mrs. Levine, it is hard enough for someone to find the right person to love in the world, even with all the people in it. For Yeshua, it is almost impossible. Would you have him fall in love with a human girl and pine for her until his heart broke and we would have to erase the letter that gives him life? Reduce him back to a lifeless thing?

Art by Tom Morganti
Ready by Sondra Harris

Twabble: "I kiss the hag - mouth and tongue. She melts into a maiden. No! I scream, another fetish dream dashed by faerie tale magic." by nevermore_66
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

strawman

Re: Drabblecast 245 – A Nice Jewish Golem

Post by strawman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:14 am

Sondra Harris, great voice, (read a bit too fast). Great Drabble and funny intro, and then a Jewish version of last week's story, Endless Encore. That was puppets, this was Jewish puppets. But since they are products of your imagination, in a way, they cannot be orphans. Except in a golem sitcom.
Very nice.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

hronir

Post by hronir » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:49 am

Top notch narration and production on the main story! It wasn't until it was finished that I realised the story itself was good but the performance was great- a memorable episode. I really liked the balance between the humour and the deep, solemn notion of the mother making the son for the Rabbi.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:25 pm

Funniest intro and outtro in some time. Very fun, Norm!
Great story.
Overall, a great episode!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Farseeker

Post by Farseeker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:56 am

Eh. For this we should be amused?

The plot, such as it was, held no surprises.

I found the narration a heavily worn caricature, a non-New Yorker's image of what a Jewish mother from Brooklyn sounds like. The writer ("not a Jewish mother, but was raised by one") maybe needs to work out her anger with her therapist, I think.

Liked the "after all we've been through, pogroms, the Nazis, Mel Gibson..." though. And Norm's intro was precious.
I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:03 am

Farseeker wrote:Eh. For this we should be amused?
Cute. :-)
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:41 am

I for one was very amused - I have nothing against heavily worn caricatures, so long as they are well done, and this was very well done. Of course the story was predictable, but that is part of the joy of such stories; there doesn't have to be a twist at the end of every tale. Coincidentally, I listened to this episode directly after listening to an interview with Joan Rivers, which made the larger-than-life prejudices and accent doubly funny. Had to google tupilaq, though, having never heard the word, which takes a while if you don't know how to spell it.
In the interest of mediocrity, I find it necessary to point out, that Anyu is Yeshua's tupilaq honey.
I was also relieved to hear that there is no question of "sinning" where golems are concerned, it's a problem which has concerned me for quite some time.

respectfully,

the polecat

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Polecat wrote: I was also relieved to hear that there is no question of "sinning" where golems are concerned, it's a problem which has concerned me for quite some time.
They are made creatures. If they decided to sin in that particular way, I imagine they could fashion the necessary parts. And they could certainly construct a child out of wedlock!

This story was okay. The situation was amusing, but as with The Kidney I didn't think the speculative element really affected the underlying story enough. Twas cute, but not hugely memorable.

Lone Mopper

Post by Lone Mopper » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:17 am

Just catching up, it's the end of my busy season.

I liked this story, I could visualize the dining room scene, which concerns me a bit, but that's another issue.
The Lone Mopper
"Wash your hands and quit eating in the bathroom"

http://www.lk-clean.com
http://www.cleanpeers.com
http://www.lonemopper.com