Drabblecast 109 - Babel Probe

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
devora

Post by devora » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:44 am

Can't wait to hear the Bdardle. I keep falling asleep during the story so never get to the end. Can I hear the phrase sub-quantum one more time, oh yeah.

Oh, I wish I could see the fun in this story, as so many of ya'll do. I shall search again.

Great reading and production, as always.

guitardel

Bard

Post by guitardel » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:31 pm

Phenomenal episode, perhaps my favorite. Norm, the song was out of the park.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:46 pm

Love it, this was a great story, which has followed a great run of episodes.

Initially I had thought; construct a multi-billio dollar probe to go back in time and investigate the tower of babel - why bother? Ah, to battle the demon controlling the human race though sub-quantum mind control.

I also liked the claim that the demon was the champion of a mighty gods versus demons deathmatch.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

yessuh

Post by StalinSays » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:53 pm

That mighty Gods vs. Demon Deathmatch could really use its own prequel treatment. Sure, it might damage the considered, poignant tone of the larger arc, but it would be really damn cool. Shiv the Destroyer and Gilgamesh couldn't have gone down without a fight!

tastycakes

Re: yessuh

Post by tastycakes » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:03 pm

StalinSays wrote:That mighty Gods vs. Demon Deathmatch could really use its own prequel treatment. Sure, it might damage the considered, poignant tone of the larger arc, but it would be really damn cool. Shiv the Destroyer and Gilgamesh couldn't have gone down without a fight!

As long as all of this takes place in the steel-cage arena of the human mind, which is where gods were originally created and displaced.
One day he will look into what a ‘stigmata’ really is; for now, it is his trump card for getting out of work. He simply says ‘stigmata’ and they say ‘shit, hope you feel better soon.’ End of story.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:45 am

tastycakes wrote:As long as all of this takes place in the steel-cage arena of the human mind, which is where gods were originally created and displaced.
Hence the migraine. I bet you never knew that throbbing pain was proof of pantheism.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:58 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:
tastycakes wrote:As long as all of this takes place in the steel-cage arena of the human mind, which is where gods were originally created and displaced.
Hence the migraine. I bet you never knew that throbbing pain was proof of pantheism.
I love you guys. Not many places where such a statement seems totally appropriate and funny.

So I was playing Norm's CD at work today. My business partner Alex stated: "There is something seriously wrong with that man." I think it was a compliment!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:14 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
I love you guys. Not many places where such a statement seems totally appropriate and funny.
Amen. Vive le Drabblecast.
tbaker2500 wrote: So I was playing Norm's CD at work today. My business partner Alex stated: "There is something seriously wrong with that man." I think it was a compliment!
Hearing that makes it all worth while.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Norma Sherman

Drabblecast 109

Post by Norma Sherman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:30 am

wow what beautiful writing... i have to say that both david levine's story and norm's bbardle were two of the best things I've heard on DC so far- and both on one episode? it must be my birthday... if only there was a cute music video of norm to go along with the song... then it would be better than my birthday- it would be like christmas!

:wink:
i <3 norm.

Poppydragon

Post by Poppydragon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:32 pm

Been really busy, but got totally hooked and lost half an hour today listening to this. Wonderful. Beautifully written, superbly produced and narrated. Wow.

Thank you lots for this one :D

AynSavoy

Post by AynSavoy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:29 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:I had actually assumed the opposite. When the people weren't talking, I inferred that it must be because they were all psychic and had no need to speak. The probe's discovery of quantum communication confirmed that theory, so I was somewhat surprised when the demon showed up.

I figured that the probe was going to accidentally screw up the psychic communication, making it necessary for the people to speak, which would then be the origin of the "babel." Thus, by trying to learn about his own origins, man would accidentally set himself back 5000 years.
This is essentially where I was expecting the story to go, so I was a little thrown by the introduction of the demon, but no biggie. I loved this story; it kept me awake while driving through rural Texas at 7:30am!

Favorite line from the ep: "Hammurabi wrote a law code just so he break it." :D
"she says 'I like long walks and sci-fi movies'"
http://amillionwordstogo.blogspot.com

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:37 pm

AynSavoy wrote:it kept me awake while driving through rural Texas at 7:30am!
Did you see any secessionists? :wink:
Advertise in this space!

treeman

Post by treeman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:14 pm

Let me just throw in my very late agreement that this episode takes the cake for story, production, bbardle and all around awesomeness. The story was already on the right track with the neat sub-quantum time travel technology investigating ancient mysteries, then you throw in a fight with a demon (?)... floored me. And the music really enhanced it. Song was great.

FNH

Post by FNH » Thu May 28, 2009 12:33 pm

To put it simply.

Totally Cool!

DougallStrange

Great Story

Post by DougallStrange » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:26 pm

I love this story. an excellent example of the Observer Effect. And then Babylon Battle of the Bands Freakin Awesome.
Unnamable Cthuloid horrors, crumble rock, rusts scissors and inscribes paper with blasphemous secrets that cause your eyeballs to explode while your tongue catches fire from the unholy hymns your crazed mind forces you to scream out.

swamp

Re: Drabblecast 109 - Babel Probe by David Levine

Post by swamp » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:23 am

Truly, this was a materpiece. First, David Levine's story just blew me away. I love the scriptural setting with a high tech sub atomic robot. From the POV to the time travel science to the "holy crap this tiny robot just took on a demon" to the effect it had on humankind.

So I'm reeling from the story, and then Norm comes in and says we should make dorky bracelets that say "What would ChronExplorer2009 do?" It just wiped me out. Only to be followed by the Bbardle. This is one of the best podcast episodes I have listened to. If there is any justice in the world, Babel Probe will take the Challice of Glory this year.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:53 am

swamp wrote:If there is any justice in the world, Babel Probe will take the Challice of Glory this year.
At last, an objective test! Yeah for science!
Advertise in this space!

JudithVictorious

Post by JudithVictorious » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:01 am

This is one of the coolest time travel stories I've read recently. I kept waiting for it to get hokey, and instead I got totally drawn in to the perspective of a hyperintelligent mote of dust.

Babylon Battle of the Bands was the thing that finally dragged me to this website. I just had to get the mp3!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:03 am

Welcome to the forums, Judith!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

guitardel

Post by guitardel » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:47 am

JudithVictorious wrote:This is one of the coolest time travel stories I've read recently. I kept waiting for it to get hokey, and instead I got totally drawn in to the perspective of a hyperintelligent mote of dust.

Babylon Battle of the Bands was the thing that finally dragged me to this website. I just had to get the mp3!
BBB is one of Norm's best. Glad you found the forums, and hope you enjoy DC.
Del DeHart