Drabblecast 109 - Babel Probe

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Unblinking

Re: Drabblecast 109 - Babel Probe by David Levine

Post by Unblinking » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Still one of my favorite Drabblecast stories, this one and Charlie the Purple Giraffe convinced me that I need to seek out more Levine stories. I love a story that muddles the boundary between science and magic, and this one did it well. I love how it's left ambiguous whether the demon was actually supernatural or if it was a different time traveling quantum machine like this one.

Loved it!

TheBigBadG

Re: Drabblecast 109 - Babel Probe

Post by TheBigBadG » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:39 am

There's not a huge amount that can be added to the discussion here, although I particularly liked the resonance of evolution being a scale from gigantic to tiny. God is all things, everywhere and was here first. As time goes sophistication gets smaller and smaller until you're left with a new machine-God which binds us all in his benevolent ouroboros.

Excellent story though, up there with Floating Over Time in terms of majesty. The editor in me would tighten a few things up, like rephrasing the occasional slips in to human imagery (the ton of nails stood out, for instance). But I won't be churlish. There is no font authoritative enough with which I can write the following phrase: 'Awesome concept, excellently executed.' It's the kind of piece that brings me great joy, and massive insecurity about ever being able to write something that good.'

JEJoll

Post by JEJoll » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:26 am

Sensible extrapolation of current knowledge and technology? Check.
Scientific representation of a supernatural entity? Check.
Alternate human history (or is it?) that makes sense? Check.
Telepathy, and a demonic battle to the death? Check.
Mind blown? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
*Ahem* Check.

Nice one. This guy deserves his Hugo.
Thanks for finding this one guys, well done production. Favorite Drabblecast so far (I started at one about a month ago, and I'm working my way up. Floating Above Time is now my number 2). Nice Bbardle too.
Wish I had some money to give. Best I can do is promise not to stop talking about this story and the Drabblecast for a looong time.
"I'm nobody
I'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo
I'm a boxcar and a jug of wine
And a straight razor ...if you get too close to me"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:58 am

Hee hee...
I'll have to listen to this one again, it's been a few years. But it STILL sticks with me as one of the best. Up there with Worm Within.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:52 am

Ah, sweet memories. How I love it when people discover DCland and join the forums to recreate within us, as if for the first time, our own experiences of young love, the blissful agony of Probing Babel, Purple Giraffe, Jolly Jelly, and Mongolian Death Worm. If I were king of the world, Kim Jong-un would be strapped to a chair and forced to listen to the Drabblecast until he learned English. Then he could reach out to Dennis Rodman with the message, "It's all right. Daddy loves you. He does."

Because the Drabblecast is snake-oil for the twisted soul.
Because Heartache Over Innsmouth shows Jonathan Coulton, "Who's your daddy?"
Because Norm Sherman has made a generation of geeks aware that being a Dickhead is a GOOD thing, and they can now stand tall, erect and unashamed in all their turgid glory.

And I can say this safe in the knowledge that Norm no longer reads story comments on the cast. But if he did, they would be the best damn comments ever.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

TheBigBadG

Post by TheBigBadG » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:44 pm

strawman wrote:Ah, sweet memories. How I love it when people discover DCland and join the forums...
Agreed. It's pretty cool that I'm not alone in going back to #1 and doing it in order.

JEJoll

Post by JEJoll » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:11 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Hee hee...
I'll have to listen to this one again, it's been a few years. But it STILL sticks with me as one of the best. Up there with Worm Within.
Ewwwwww.... The worm within is one of the Drabblecasts I talk about the most. I can imagine, while making many sickened faces, the hand over hand motion of pulling out the worm...

Is it strange that I still have a desire to try the mayo drenched meal mentioned in the story?
"I'm nobody

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:20 am

Babel Probe and Worm Within are actually the same story with a different winner.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:30 am

Hey, good timing on the bump, y'all! Listened to Babel Probe for the first time today, and it did not disappoint in the least! Clever story, excellent production, and BBARDLE! I am one happy Varda. :D

Wish I had something deeper to offer to the conversation here, but wiser minds than mine have already pontificated. I got a lot out of the years-long thread running on this one. Sometimes I'm bummed about making it to the 'Cast so late, but then I gets to enjoy the secondary pleasure of catching up on old feedback with each episode.
JEJoll wrote:Is it strange that I still have a desire to try the mayo drenched meal mentioned in the story?
Me too, friend, me too.
strawman wrote:And I can say this safe in the knowledge that Norm no longer reads story comments on the cast. But if he did, they would be the best damn comments ever.
Who scared him off? Are we too weird for him nowadays? How do we get him to come back? Someone tell him there's cookies! :P
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

JEJoll

Post by JEJoll » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:37 am

Varda wrote: Who scared him off? Are we too weird for him nowadays? How do we get him to come back? Someone tell him there's cookies! :P
Or free punch and pie. Or is it cake... Which side is he on?
"I'm nobody

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:46 am

JEJoll wrote:
Varda wrote: Who scared him off? Are we too weird for him nowadays? How do we get him to come back? Someone tell him there's cookies! :P
Or free punch and pie. Or is it cake... Which side is he on?
On second thought... we should make it jelly!
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)