Drabblecast 246 – The Kidney

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 246 – The Kidney

Postby StalinSays » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Feature: Kidney by Amir Ahmed
Drabble: The Return by Chris Munroe

Tuesday, June 12th, 2012
The shop bell rang at the front of the St. George Tim Hortons. I didn’t see who came in, but when Shel looked up, his eyes widened.

“Crap.” He whispered. “It’s my kidney.”

“Your kidney?” I asked. I turned in my seat, but Shel jerked me back by the shoulder. He held up his free hand to shield his face.

“Shhh,” he murmured. “Don’t look at it…”

The Dribblecast
Art by David Flett

Twabble: "Rogers had to admit, above the screaming, that the scientist’s little finger did in fact know more than he did after all." by Never-Mind
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

strawman

Re: Drabblecast 246 – The Kidney

Postby strawman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:17 pm

The address given for the DC forums in the drabble is wrong.
drabblecast.freeforums.org doesn't work.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Ignoranus

Postby Ignoranus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:53 am

For some reason, I found this story really unsettling. I quite thoroughly enjoyed it, but the awkwardness of the whole situation and the damn thing following them everywhere had me practically shifting in my seat with the urge to get away. It was a very odd feeling to have the story evoke.

alhilton

Postby alhilton » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Oy, wrong hepatitis! You can get Hep A from practically anything - poorly washed dishes at a restaurant, putting your hands in your mouth after touching dirty stuff (like money or a railing or a doorknob...). You don't usually know where you got it. It's mostly a 3rd world disease, and it's not an STD. You *will* feel like you're dying if you get it, but once you've recovered, you will not be infectious to others. You make a full recovery if you don't perish.

The author clearly meant Hep C or perhaps Hep B. Or, you know, herpes.

Anyway, creepy story, otherwise well-executed.

Unblinking

Postby Unblinking » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:26 pm

I really didn't care about this one. A walking kidney moping around and being depressed after a breakup is, on the face of it, prime Drabblecast material. And I often like a story that takes a normal real-life situation and explores it in some ridiculous way. But in this case, I didn't feel like the breakup being a kidney really added anything whatsoever to the story. It could've just been a person and then it would've been just an unremarkable, depressing and awkward breakup story. The kidney element just seemed tacked-on to me.

strawman

Postby strawman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:53 pm

This and the last episode have that in common: A pretty regular life story, but with golems for characters. Starts as an interesting concept, but goes 'off' as it goes 'on'. Plus, the kidney, instead of the heart? Why? Instead of evoking love lost, you want to evoke backed-up toilets lost?

:? That might just work!
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Tesseract

Postby Tesseract » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:35 am

strawman wrote:This and the last episode have that in common: A pretty regular life story, but with golems for characters. Starts as an interesting concept, but goes 'off' as it goes 'on'. Plus, the kidney, instead of the heart? Why? Instead of evoking love lost, you want to evoke backed-up toilets lost?

:? That might just work!

"Crap, I dropped my heart in the can again. No, NO, NOOOOO! FLUFFY! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE! THE FLUSH HANDLE IS NOT A MOUSE! Ohgodohgodohgod, where's the number for the plumber."
Oh goddess, there's a little yellow man following me everywhere I go!
As children flock to their deranged god, his great purple lips flap open. I love you and You love me. We're a happy family.
My Blog: http://fromthe4d.wordpress.com/

Lone Mopper

Postby Lone Mopper » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:19 am

After hearing this one, I think it needs to be donated, anywhere but here.
The Lone Mopper
"Wash your hands and quit eating in the bathroom"

http://www.lk-clean.com
http://www.cleanpeers.com
http://www.lonemopper.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:31 pm

I liked this one a lot. After looking up Hep A and realizing that the author got the wrong one, I was able to let that go. I really enjoyed the oddity of the pretense. I have to admit I didn't get the full realization of the story until it was summarized in the last two lines; some breakups are like removing a part of yourself.
Good work!

Remember, you can add your voice to the Dribblecast at anytime. Learn how at: http://www.dribblecast.org/we-are-dribblecast/
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Beth Peters

Postby Beth Peters » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:33 pm

I really enjoyed this one! It harkens back to the classically strange Drabblecast days of yester-yore. I think the kidney being tacked-on is the entire joke, so can see how someone wouldn't really be into it if they didn't get the joke. It's just such ridiculous imagery, and the dialogue really supported the feeling of it being an ex girlfriend/stalker. The last line was golden, tying it back to how we carry our past relationships with us always as once part of us.
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

Unblinking

Postby Unblinking » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:17 pm

Beth Peters wrote:I really enjoyed this one! It harkens back to the classically strange Drabblecast days of yester-yore. I think the kidney being tacked-on is the entire joke, so can see how someone wouldn't really be into it if they didn't get the joke. It's just such ridiculous imagery, and the dialogue really supported the feeling of it being an ex girlfriend/stalker. The last line was golden, tying it back to how we carry our past relationships with us always as once part of us.

It's not that I didn't get it, I just didn't find the joke funny. Potato Potahto maybe... :P

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Postby Varda » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:16 am

Organ rejection hurts, don't it?

I loved this story, and can't really place my renal artery on why. Probably because anatomical science is currently my favorite science, and disembodied anthropomorphic organs make me happy. This story made me bring the poor kidney home, wrap it in a warm meninx or two, and remind it that even if no one wants it, there's always dialysis.

Loved the Drabble too! What is this "Dribblecast", and should I be listening to it too?
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:11 am

Why just listen? Contribute also! (Or just listen)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4235

Varda

Postby Varda » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:53 pm

I dunno. Podcasting sounds suspiciously like public speaking to me, which in turn is utterly terrifying, unless I've had just the right amount of stout.

I found Dribblecast on iTunes--subscribed! Will listen to some episodes and see if the sheer force of peer pressure persuades me to down some stout and take to the airwaves! :D

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:44 am

Eh, nobody's listening. It's practically private speaking!

Varda

Postby Varda » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:29 am

Eh, nobody's listening.

Huzzah! Does this make me your first subscriber? I promise to be as nonjudgmental as a proud parent at an elementary school play. :wink:

On a random note about this episode, it's a shame that these guys and those guys didn't co-sponsor the episode so that, filled with guilt and pity, all of us would adopt an adorable diseased kidney of our very own.

Drabblescout Badges:

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”