Drabblecast 250 - Trifecta XXII

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 250 - Trifecta XXII

Post by StalinSays » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Feature: Selfless by Kenneth Kao
Feature: Prophecy Negotiations by Rich Matrunick
Feature: The Faithful Servant by Joel Shulkin

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012
My name is… John.

I am…

I have a wife and a daughter. They are visiting me today. Their names– Alice. And Anna.

I can see, sort of. Everything is blurry. I am submerged in a coffin, a clear coffin with green water. There’s a tube in my mouth so that I can breathe, machine-like.

My legs are transparent. I see veins and arteries, thin muscles that look like spiderwebs bundled together. The doctors say my memory will be fuzzy. It’s supposed to come back quickly.

I am…

Art by Liz Pennies
Read by John Cmar and Alasdair Stuart

Twabble: “ The pancakes attained sentience. Bill shook his fist at the charred landscape. “You blew it up, you damn dirty Crêpes!” ” by Astroguyz
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

strawman

Re: Drabblecast 250 - Trifecta XXII

Post by strawman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Shonuff, DC is the spicy life. Good variety. More sugary carbs this week than some, but I like desert, even dirty crepes.

I like the idea of the clone's awareness of his provisional status. Gotta keep Prime satisfied.
I like the answer to the riddle of why there are so many wizards (Anthropology in D&D!).
Faithful Servant has an amusing twist on Upstairs/Downstairs caste-ing, a subtle commentary on Class divisions. Not necessarily, but possibly, that the high-born are genetically advantaged, and if the Occupiers don't want to be butlers, they'll be shot. Does anyone else see it that way? Very 'Brittish'.

Can't say I understood the twabble, although I used it's punchline above. I've got a lot of nerve.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:48 pm

strawman wrote:Shonuff, DC is the spicy life. Good variety. More sugary carbs this week than some, but I like desert, even dirty crepes.

I like the idea of the clone's awareness of his provisional status. Gotta keep Prime satisfied.
I like the answer to the riddle of why there are so many wizards (Anthropology in D&D!).
Faithful Servant has an amusing twist on Upstairs/Downstairs caste-ing, a subtle commentary on Class divisions. Not necessarily, but possibly, that the high-born are genetically advantaged, and if the Occupiers don't want to be butlers, they'll be shot. Does anyone else see it that way? Very 'Brittish'.

Can't say I understood the twabble, although I used it's punchline above. I've got a lot of nerve.
The twabble is a mash-up of two of Charleton Heston's lines in Planet of the Apes.
"Get your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape."
"They did it, they blew it up."
<fists pounding sand in front of the fallen statue of liberty>
God.... Damn...You All.... To Hell....

One of Hollywood's greatest cinematic endings.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:48 pm

OK, that makes sense.
...I guess I should be worried.

Spoiler:

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Selfless--I didn't really like this one. I've read other stories about clone replacements that I thought did it better. In the end this one just seems to accept the status quo that he's disposable, and that is all. I wanted something to happen, the situation to change.

Prophecy Negotiations--I laughed and laughed and laughed with this. It all makes way too much sense. Frodo Baggins, Shea Ohmsford, Luke Skywalker, you fools, you're soft bargainers!

The Faithful Servant--I was pleasantly surprised when the lady turned out to be competent with a gun. But at the same time. An interesting idea that even as the world is falling apart around you, such a woman could still be concerned about the state of the carpet. I found her character kind of inconsistent though. She apparently doesn't remember that the dog is dead, yet she is apparently aware of the end of the world--so is she senile or not? I'm not sure whether the butler should stick around because she is apparently sometimes competent, or whether he should run like hell because she might shoot him in a confused moment.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:14 pm

And I forgrot to mention my excitement: a Drabblecast original story by Bear and Monette in the Mongoose universe! Soooooo excited!!!

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:30 pm

That, and Liz' cover art gets it just right.

Spoiler:

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:03 pm

Sho 'nuf, great Trifecta. Perfect set of stories to accompany me on my trip yesterday. The faithful servant had such great imagery, that an interesting thing happened. When the story was over, I could clearly remember the visuals of the house, the carpet, etc. Yet I had no visual memory of the road I'd been driving on during that story. My memory recorded the visual imagery of and auditory story, rather than my visual inputs (eyes). Not sure if this is a safe driving story, but interesting. :shock:
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Another great episode.

In my wildest dreams, DC puts out four episodes a week like this.

Well, maybe not my wildest...

themorg

Post by themorg » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:26 pm

Unblinking wrote:And I forgrot to mention my excitement: a Drabblecast original story by Bear and Monette in the Mongoose universe! Soooooo excited!!!
I AM IN LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

themorg

Post by themorg » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:27 pm

themorg wrote:
Unblinking wrote:And I forgrot to mention my excitement: a Drabblecast original story by Bear and Monette in the Mongoose universe! Soooooo excited!!!
I AM IN LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
I just started at Daves killer bread and i will get my subscription back up and at 10$ a month just as soon as i can.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Lone Mopper

Post by Lone Mopper » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:23 am

RPD's

You just can't beat that. My week's complete.
The Lone Mopper
"Wash your hands and quit eating in the bathroom"

http://www.lk-clean.com
http://www.cleanpeers.com
http://www.lonemopper.com

Lone Mopper

Post by Lone Mopper » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:28 am

tbaker2500 wrote:. My memory recorded the visual imagery of and auditory story, rather than my visual inputs (eyes). Not sure if this is a safe driving story, but interesting. :shock:

At least you weren't texting!
The Lone Mopper
"Wash your hands and quit eating in the bathroom"

http://www.lk-clean.com
http://www.cleanpeers.com
http://www.lonemopper.com

Beth Peters

Post by Beth Peters » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Great Trifecta! The readings were all particularly well matched and well done in this one I thought. Selfless was my favorite of the lot.
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!