Drabblecast 253 - Maybe the Stars

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 253 - Maybe the Stars

Post by StalinSays » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:26 pm

Feature: Maybe The Stars by Samantha Henderson
Drabble: Wife of the Sea by Katie Leatherman

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012
Presently it rose, and with a shuffling walk it supported itself along the bars until it reached the bucket. With a sigh it plunged its hands inside.

Little Useless inched closer and watched while the creature cupped the salt water and brought it to its face: not to drink, but to moisten its skin…

Lovecraft Month

Art by Steve Santiago

Twabble: “ I hosted the Cult of Dagon meeting this week. Unfortunately the sashimi snacks my wife prepared didn't go down too well. ” by PureChance
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Unblinking

Re: Drabblecast 253 - Maybe the Stars

Post by Unblinking » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Not my favorite of the Lovecraftian originals on the Drabblecast, but I enjoyed it reasonably well. I liked how the eldritch horror from the deep was more sympathetic than any of the human characters that Little Useless interacted with. It had a bit of a fable feel, where good deeds towards the helpless are rewarded.

Beth Peters

Post by Beth Peters » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:56 am

This one PULLED ME IN.
Wow! Awesome production. I'm starting to think, after listening to her Podcastle stories, that Samantha Henderson has a knack for sea-faring yarns?
But I did go back to listen to Starry Night like Norm recommended and I have to say, I may have been wrong in my baseless assumption that the old Drabblecast archives are all less solid episodes. That story was wonderful and very beautifully written, had me in almost-tears by the end (thank goodness not full-tears, I was at work!)

So yah, "Maybe the Stars"= loved it. Hearing the name "Little Useless" over and over was a little jarring, I would have maybe preferred a real name, but other than that I loved the fleeting relationship secretly established in that dark creaking hull between little girl and fish (mer?) being. Had me thinking about how we always have a choice, even if it seems like only some of us have a choice.

"If the grass seems greener on the other side, water your own f^#cking side for a change."
-- Norm Sherman, (elder)God of Podcasting
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:41 pm

This was a very good story, and an excellent production. Kudos!
The sad reality, it wasn't until after I was finished that I realized the premise to the story. WE are the unspeakable horrors. The creature was the innocent. It was an excellent role reversal.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

broken850

Post by broken850 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:04 am

I never had any intention for it to do so when Norm told me he was interested in the work and wanted to talk about it.
Thanks

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:52 pm

Welcome aboard, broken850!

basilgodevenos

Post by basilgodevenos » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:16 pm

I'm catching up on my podcast listening right now - just listened to this a few days ago. It actually inspired me to go in a certain direction with a short story I was writing at the time. Thanks Samantha!
Basil Godevenos
Writer-type-person
http://basilgodevenos.com