Drabblecast 254/255 – The Wreck of the Charles Dexter Ward

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 254/255 – The Wreck of the Charles Dexter Ward

Post by StalinSays » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:44 pm

Feature: The Wreck of the Charles Dexter Ward by Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette
Drabble: The Cats in the Walls by J. Forbes Stimson

Friday, August 31st, 2012 and Thursday, September 6th, 2012
Six weeks into her involuntary tenure on Faraday Station, Cynthia Feuerwerker needed a job. She could no longer afford to be choosy about it, either; her oxygen tax was due, and you didn’t have to be a medical doctor to understand the difficulties inherent in trying to breathe vacuum.

You didn’t have to be, but Cynthia was one. Or had been, until the allegations of malpractice and unlicensed experimentation began to catch up with her. As they had done, here at Faraday, six weeks ago…

Lovecraft Month

Art by Bo Kaier

Twabble: “ As the last word left my lips, I saw her in the mirror. Straining on the toilet Bloody Mary yelled, “Do you mind! I’m busy!” ” by Althalas
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Re: Drabblecast 254/255 – The Wreck of the Charles Dexter Wa

Post by StalinSays » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:48 pm

Part 1 is available now - part 2 is coming next week.

I'll be handling the covers for both parts. Sorry to the art core for hogging such prime real estate; we got the story with a very short window for completion.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:45 am

Let me be the first to say, "Squee!"

1st impression: You went balls to the wall on the cover art, Bo.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:00 pm

I'm verily excited by the prospect of this story. However, I'll be waiting for part 2 before I listen to the story, partly to increase my listening pleasure, but also to nurture my illusion that I am posessed of some self-control.

respectfully

the polecat

themorg

Post by themorg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:00 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Let me be the first to say, "Squee!"
And Let me the first to say "Yog-Sothoth Knows best!"
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

themorg

Post by themorg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:02 am

I am so happy about this story came out i have listened twice and i am right now listening to the first 2 stories again. You could say i am kind of a big fan of this series.
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Bad Wolf

Post by Bad Wolf » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Love this series and so far part 1 is no dissapointment. Can't wait for part 2. However, that twabble at the end was quite the sour note. It just dirtied up a beautiful thing for the sake of a cheap gag. It was like ending Beethoven's 5th with an armpit squelch. Otherwise, total awesomeness.
I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself. I take the words, I scatter them in time and space. A message to lead myself here.

Beth Peters

Post by Beth Peters » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:31 am

So I barely had ever heard of HP Lovecraft and since 2010 HP Lovecraft month has now become the month I look forward to the most on the podcast (possibly also because August is insanely miserably hot where I live and listening means I'll be indoors at least!) I loved David D Levine's story 'Floaters', and Jay Lake and Time Pratt's stories also. Enjoyed the Kristine Rusch story about paparazzi as evil shades and definitely voted for Eugie Foster's dark lord/teddy bear story in the People's Choice Awards last year.

I'm not sure how to describe why I like Lovecraft month so much, since Cthulhu and the elder gods and all that just don't do it for me. I guess Drabblecast just finds a way to draw from Lovecraft the nectar it needs to distill pure awesomeness. Or maybe I'm not giving Lovecraft enough credit. Either way, I definitely appreciate him more as a top writer of weirdness and coolness (especially after being introduced to the Fungi from Yuggoth) and even though I can't really get through Shadow Over Innsmouth without wishing I was reading something by Mark Twain or somebody else, I definitely appreciate now how stories like "Maybe the Stars" and "Wreck of Charles Dexter Ward" are mythos-inspired and all the better for it.

Like bandersnatches and dopplkinder (my German friend and I speculated on that one for awhile!) Mi-go and mongoose, this story is great in how it willingly engages in the world and pastiche of other writers while also doing what Lovecraft seemed to do to an almost frustrating degree... not telling you everything you want to know! I guess that's mythos-building 101 though huh?

Anyways, I'm loving this story just as much as I loved Boojum and Mongoose. Don't want to spoil anything here for those waiting on Part 2 to listen to both... I also can't wait for Part 2. Although...
Spoiler:
exploring the flickering medical bay of an abandoned spaceship has kinda ridiculously been done to death, no?
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

Beth Peters

Post by Beth Peters » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:04 am

Also, the Twabble and Drabble cracked me up for the record, especially the Drabble. To each his own I guess. I would happily listen to Beethoven's 9th as armpit squelches, ... although the more I think about it I'd prefer to hear the 5th in that particular medium.

Oh, and artwork? Holy Dodgeson-buddha batman, that one's getting my vote so far for People's Choice!
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Thanks for compliments on art - I'm working on a similarly impactful part 2 image.

In reference to this story utilizing some well worn space horror tropes: I think that is inherent to the task set in front of Bear/Monette. Firstly, the commission was to write a Lovecraft inspired work, in that way, the story is derivative by design. Secondly, use of touchstone scenes and imagery is key to expansive storytelling in short-form fiction. In the sea of original ideas represented by the Boojum/Mongoose/Ward shared universe, retreads are a life raft. Ideas that register quickly, save words, and lend context. So sure, I've 'been' in to that flickering lights medical bridge before, but that is a good thing; it sets the table for what Bear/Monette are cooking.

..that sounded vaguely defensive and way out of place in this love fest. I was struck by the need to dig the fly out of the ointment, found no fly, and got ointment everywhere. Ignore Bo, let the love flow on within you and without you.

If anyone wanted to set this story against the Lovecraftian coal feed to its furnace, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward novella is free as will at http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/tex ... on/cdw.asp

themorg

Post by themorg » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:21 am

Beth Peters wrote: Although...
Spoiler:
exploring the flickering medical bay of an abandoned spaceship has kinda ridiculously been done to death, no?
Well...
Spoiler:
this is an undead fish floating in the depths of space that they are inside of...That is ridiculously creepy. I say it has not been done to death!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Part 2 is out folks! Thrill thrillingly at the thrilling conclusion!

Lisa3737

Post by Lisa3737 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:07 am

"The Wreck of the Charles Dexter Ward" was awesome! Very well done and entertaining. Great narration cast. Look forward to more of the same! :D

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:09 pm

Lisa3737 wrote:"The Wreck of the Charles Dexter Ward" was awesome! Very well done and entertaining. Great narration cast. Look forward to more of the same! :D
Watch out, Norm. You need to manage expectations. Every time you raise the bar of production, casting, story quality, etc, you've got higher expectations to meet. This is an endless uphill battle.

It may be time for a little push-back.
How might you improve the quality of your audience?

It would be nice to hear, "Norm, you make me want to be a better man."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbyP8gbb1hw
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:12 am

Already, a primo idea for upgrading strange listeners.
Must. Have. Tramp Stamp.
Spoiler:
Re: Tshirt Thought or ?
by admiralsunshine » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Heck I'd be happy with the shirt you guys have now if it were there in large. I would like to see mongolian deathworm tramp-stamp temporary tattoos; I'd buy enough to make people think it was real for a good few years.
Don't read this signature!
----------------------------------
Oh no! You read it! If you don't copy this into your signature, then you will be...SUPERSTITIOUS

admiralsunshine

Spoiler:

Talia

Post by Talia » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:25 am

Holy carp, this episode has just been amazing. I haven't finished it, but I felt compelled to come express my gratitude. From the writing down to the production, sterling work. A fabulous piece of fiction & audiofiction.

Love the cover art too, but am extra amused that the art that stayed displayed on my IPod through the whole "main story" part was the "cat in the wall" image. So I was listening to this dark tale of dead boojums in space and looked down to see cat butt. :P

*edit*

also, *chuckle* at the "Caitlin R. Kiernan." :) Those type of references always tend to throw me out of the story, but I don't care because they amuse me.

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:23 pm

The thing I appreciate is that DC commissioned the story and then applied a full production Monty of DC voices and sounds. The score was awesome.

I didn't understand the twabble, and am grateful for that, I think.

Spoiler:

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:21 pm

Woah, what an awesome production! Love it, love it - each episode I love equally, each episode was equally weird, fun and good.

I drooled and I drool, 'cause I'm a Drabblecast-lovin' fool
I cheer and have cheered, because I loooove this kind of weird!
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

Aesculapius

Post by Aesculapius » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 pm

Wow. So much awesome. Can we get a TV show made out of this universe, please?

Douglas Hackle

Post by Douglas Hackle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:00 am

Stellar job on the production with this one.

Yeah, the "bioship" concept is certainly nothing new to sci-fi, but I think a zombified-megafish bioship might be.