Drabblecast 257 - Judgement Passed

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 257 - Judgement Passed

Post by StalinSays » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:50 pm

Feature: Judgement Passed by Jerry Oltion

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012
We stared up at the sunlit peaks, each thinking our own thoughts. I thought about Dessica. We’d waited two months after landing to name it, but the decision was unanimous. Hot, dry, with dust storms that could blow for weeks at a time– if ever there was a Hell, that place had to be it. But eight of us had stayed there for two years, exploring and collecting data; the first interstellar expedition at work. And then we had packed up and come back– at an empty Earth. Not a soul left anywhere…

Jerel Dye's Etsy Store
Art by Jerel Dye

Twabble: “ I reburied the zombies, packed away the ray gun and handed out pink slips to my minions. I hate the end of summer vacation. ” by Bugjackbarron
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

chemistryguy

Re: Drabblecast 257 - Judgement Passed

Post by chemistryguy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:25 pm

First The Hand of God on PodCastle and now this. I'm loving these stories concerning the nature of God. Or rather how humans act based on their perceptions of the nature of God.

What is the point of life anyway? Some people, like the characters in the story see this world as only a way station until they move onto something better. I don't recall any dialogue where anyone expressed grief over the loss of a loved one, so why the big hurry to talk to the creator? Is all of the world and companions to share it with not enough?

I'm an atheist, so my views are necessarily skewed. Would my belief system shift given the circumstances outlined in the story. Probably, but then I'm assuming I'd be dwelling on the people I'd lost, not because I missed out on the afterlife.

Things are temporary for a reason. It is the brevity of life that makes it so special. It gives us perspective. Penn Jillette says it better than I on an episode of This I Believe, but being the parent of a child with a CHD, I've learned to take the good and hold onto it.

I found it totally repugnant that when only a handful of humanity remained, there was one who would destroy for the possibility of getting the prize behind door number two. But I guess there's humanity in a nutshell.

Sorry for the spew.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:01 pm

One man's spew is another's thouhhgtfully crafted listener feedback. :-)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:10 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:One man's spew is another's thouhhgtfully crafted listener feedback. :-)
And, not for the first time, it is thought, "Where's the Like button in this place?"
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:58 pm

chemistryguy wrote:First The Hand of God on PodCastle and now this. I'm loving these stories concerning the nature of God. Or rather how humans act based on their perceptions of the nature of God.

What is the point of life anyway? Some people, like the characters in the story see this world as only a way station until they move onto something better. I don't recall any dialogue where anyone expressed grief over the loss of a loved one, so why the big hurry to talk to the creator? Is all of the world and companions to share it with not enough?

I'm an atheist, so my views are necessarily skewed. Would my belief system shift given the circumstances outlined in the story. Probably, but then I'm assuming I'd be dwelling on the people I'd lost, not because I missed out on the afterlife.

Things are temporary for a reason. It is the brevity of life that makes it so special. It gives us perspective. Penn Jillette says it better than I on an episode of This I Believe, but being the parent of a child with a CHD, I've learned to take the good and hold onto it.

I found it totally repugnant that when only a handful of humanity remained, there was one who would destroy for the possibility of getting the prize behind door number two. But I guess there's humanity in a nutshell.

Sorry for the spew.
Excellent. I especially like "perceptions of the nature of God". Why is it difficult to have honest conversations between people with these different perceptions?

We are self-aware. But we are nothing but dust from the stars. How the *~*~* did THAT happen? And WHY?

An atheist's perception is skewed one way, and anyone who senses meaning or purpose in answering the question "why that happened" is skewed in a different way. Why does perception itself exist?

That, it seems to me, is a more interesting discussion than the stale "Does God Exist and, if so, what did we do to piss him off?"

I think good science fiction is that honest conversation. Penn Jilette writes, "Without God, we can agree on reality, and I can keep learning where I'm wrong." What's to keep anyone else from doing the same?

Unfortunately, most of the SF audience has seemed to be weighted towards the anti-supernaturalists, which skews the conversation a bit. The question of meaning really is the exploration of whether nature is everything (Materialism). If not, then supernature

Doesn't the very definition of SUPERnatural ("God") make any use of the phrase "nature of God" kind of self-contradictory?

Anyway, spew back atcha, chemguy :D

Spoiler:

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:16 am

strawman wrote: Excellent. I especially like "perceptions of the nature of God". Why is it difficult to have honest conversations between people with these different perceptions?

We are self-aware. But we are nothing but dust from the stars. How the *~*~* did THAT happen? And WHY?

An atheist's perception is skewed one way, and anyone who senses meaning or purpose in answering the question "why that happened" is skewed in a different way. Why does perception itself exist?

That, it seems to me, is a more interesting discussion than the stale "Does God Exist and, if so, what did we do to piss him off?"
Indubitably.
I also don't understand the anger towards atheists. Would a loving God prefer an insincere, "Ok, well if it's say I believe or get roasted, I guess you got me there" sort of concession to his existence. Or would such a being rather answer the long hard questions and challenges put forth? (Perhaps deriving great pleasure in the challenge.)
I dunno. Food for thought.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Strawman, if you want to talk about Supernatural, there is no reason to fill up space here. Take it to the fanboards.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

danooli

Post by danooli » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Wow. This was amazing. I absolutely love the concept here, what WOULD happen if you were left behind after the Rapture?

I am also agnostic, with a heavy sprinkling of yearning spirituality. I want to believe in Something, but just can't wrap my brain around it rationally. So, the questions posed here are fascinating to me.

I have no problem with the characters in this story not mourning their loved ones. This crew had been away for 12 years with the intention of being gone for far longer than that. I may be making this up, but I seem to recall each crew member was picked specifically for a number of reasons, on of which was no real ties. Now that I type that out though I really doubt my memory...

Anyway, one would also assume they'd be happy for those that most of them were trying to join in Heaven.

This was one of the best Drabblecasts ever, in my opinion. Loved everything about it.

eviebae

Post by eviebae » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:14 am

Geez Louise. Of course the straw man who abandoned the "agnostic" viewpoint was malicious, destructive, murderous, weak and easily fooled. He was a cartoon whose sole function in the story was to display the error of his beliefs. To be fair, he never twirled his moustache and demanded the rent but I'm pretty sure he metaphorically tied the heroine to the train tracks.

I don't think the viewpoints of the agnostics receive much better treatment. Nuance schmuance, who needs subtlety when you can have fat, juicy cardboard! They never really mourned their loved ones or felt much in the way of grief or longing or any powerful emotion because they were representative viewpoints rather than people. Apparently, the only major downside to everyone you ever loved disappearing from the Earth is that stuff is going to break and you'll end up having to walk a lot more. Plus, an apocalypse is really good for destination vacations and resolving problems in on-again, off-again relationships.

It felt like religious dogma in action rather than a story. I say religious rather than anti-religious because I think it represents religiosity as a behavior that transcends subject matter. Oh people who disagree with me, you are such idiots, that is surely the only reason you do so. I'm going to giggle at you now.

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:50 am

Fantastic story - one of my absolute favorites on The Drabblecast. What a great premise and I loved how every time I thought the story was going to end it kept going with more substance and smart twists. The only part I didn't like was the confrontation with the wrench upside the head. I expected the main character to ask the guy losing his edge whether he really thought he could trick god by helping the woman along towards death. And then to not finish him off after he'd blown up a nuke and tried to kill the woman -- seemed unrealistic. I loved the near-death twist and all of the speculation about what might have really happened to everyone who disappeared.

Wouldn't it be great if in a thousand years when humans are super advanced, we did something exactly like this to a primitive civilization on a distant planet? It really wouldn't be hard to pull off once we have transdimensional warp drives and transporters.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:19 am

The moral I felt this story presented, was:
Unless you are omniscient, there will always be mysteries.

I mean, the existence of Jesus and God has been proven. Does this really advance people? No, it just moves the goal posts. Like the TV show Lost.

I didn't remember the Twabble from the forums. Nice one!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

eviebae

Post by eviebae » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:59 am

tbaker2500 wrote:I mean, the existence of Jesus and God has been proven. Does this really advance people? No, it just moves the goal posts. Like the TV show Lost.
Actually, no. they were still skeptical which, I guess was a moot point given that the people of Earth weren't given a choice.

Just because you believe in God doesn't mean you have to like it. Doesn't mean you have to worship it.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:47 am

eviebae wrote:Actually, no. they were still skeptical which, I guess was a moot point given that the people of Earth weren't given a choice.
Wow, you really heard something different than me. I thought the newscasts and articles made it pretty clear what happened. I don't recall anybody being doubting that it happened. The story was about "Why not me" and What now?"
eviebae wrote:Just because you believe in God doesn't mean you have to like it. Doesn't mean you have to worship it.
And what's with this chip on your shoulder? I said neither of these things, nor am I pushing you to worship "it". I'm not a religious person.

There are a lot of highly religious people here, and a lot of agnostics and atheist. I'd recommend toning it down a little, and join the rest of us in discussing without said chip. Let's not fan the flames into, eh?

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:03 am

tbaker2500 wrote: There are a lot of highly religious people here, and a lot of agnostics and atheist.
And then there's me. :P

startreksteve

Post by startreksteve » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Amazing story!
Hoping for a sequel though!
Was it really god? or just an alien farmer come to reap his crop of human fodder?

Steve

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:58 am

startreksteve wrote:Amazing story!
Was it really god? or just an alien farmer come to reap his crop of human fodder?

Steve
Sadly, I hadn't thought of that possibility. That is food for thought.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:38 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
startreksteve wrote:Amazing story!

Steve
Sadly, I hadn't thought of that possibility. That is food for thought.
Hmm, the scriptures do say that Jesus came to serve man!

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:33 am

ROU Killing Time wrote: Hmm, the scriptures do say that Jesus came to serve man!
...and not to be served.
But then, there's the "I am the bread of life" stuff.
Maybe just Jesus' way of saying "Bite me"?

Spoiler:

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:56 am

:D

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:52 pm

strawman wrote:Maybe just Jesus' way of saying "Bite me"?
I remember when I was a kid our Lutheran pastor said that Communion was Jesus's way of saying "Eat me." I'm not sure if I understood the meaning of that phrase at the time, though I was aware in what kind of contexts it tended to be used in. But my mom was PISSED.

That was a few years before we found out that that pastor (who gave the most entertaining and communicative sermons I've ever heard) had been faking cancer and cancer treatment in order to hoard the charity donation money.

Which has nothing to do with the story.