Drabblecast 260 - Trifecta XXIII

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Post Reply
User avatar
StalinSays
Beast-Master
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Drabblecast 260 - Trifecta XXIII

Post by StalinSays » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Feature: Constant Companion by David Steffen
Feature: Gorgon by Teresa Milbrodt
Feature: Blue by Sandra Odell

Image

Friday, October 19th, 2012
You don’t remember anything, do you? Selective memory loss; what an achievement for a mind as young as yours. Locked in a cupboard of your consciousness, the guilt will eat at you from the inside…

Art by Bo Kaier
Read by Jacob Boris, Peter Piazza

Twabble: “ I've recently began caring for my grandparents. Cooking, cleaning, bathing. The funeral director was terrible at it. ” by SgtCrispy
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Drabblecast 260 - Trifecta XXIII

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:07 am

well, if the cast lives up to the cover. woot, bo, you outdid yerself this week.
StalinSays wrote: Friday, October 19th, 2012
You don’t remember anything, do you? Selective memory loss; what an achievement for a mind as young as yours. Locked in a cupboard of your consciousness, the guilt will eat at you from the inside…
Why does this sort of thing keep happening to me...
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Drabblecast 260 - Trifecta XXIII

Post by strawman » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:01 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote: Why does this sort of thing keep happening to me...
...said Newton, still standing under the apple tree.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

shagin
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:23 am

Re: Drabblecast 260 - Trifecta XXIII

Post by shagin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:08 pm

As always, Norm, your reading done did me proud. And scared the hell out of one of my friends when I told her to close her eyes to listen to the story. :twisted:

Great job!

User avatar
TheBori
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:

Re: Drabblecast 260 - Trifecta XXIII

Post by TheBori » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:59 pm

Proud of my boy. His first podcast narration. Well done Jake.
http://www.MikeBorisAudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3612
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: Drabblecast 260 - Trifecta XXIII

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Lil' Bori did a great job! Must've had training for somebody.

Gorgon was my favorite.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

jason todd
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: Drabblecast 260 - Trifecta XXIII

Post by jason todd » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:08 am

feeling left out because norm assumed you were an adult and your 13 :( but the stories were by far the best ive seen from any trifecta especially blue, creeped me out in a way that the drabblecast dosent usualy do
cthulu's hard to comprehend?, you've obviously never tried talking to a girl

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Drabblecast 260 - Trifecta XXIII

Post by strawman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:43 am

jason todd wrote:feeling left out because norm assumed you were an adult and your 13 :(
It would be a mistake for you to assume that Norm is an adult. Word here is that he's Peter Pan under the Witness Protection Program.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Drabblecast 260 - Trifecta XXIII

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:55 am

strawman wrote:
jason todd wrote:feeling left out because norm assumed you were an adult and your 13 :(
It would be a mistake for you to assume that Norm is an adult. Word here is that he's Peter Pan under the Witness Protection Program.
I always thought his impersonation of an earthling was shaky, at best.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

jason todd
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: Drabblecast 260 - Trifecta XXIII

Post by jason todd » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:11 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:
strawman wrote:
jason todd wrote:feeling left out because norm assumed you were an adult and your 13 :(
It would be a mistake for you to assume that Norm is an adult. Word here is that he's Peter Pan under the Witness Protection Program.
I always thought his impersonation of an earthling was shaky, at best.
it all makes sense now :shock: whats even more distubing is that since i was seven ive been afraid of peter pan ,"comin thrugh yo windows snachin yo pepole up"
cthulu's hard to comprehend?, you've obviously never tried talking to a girl

Unblinking
Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:50 am

Re: Drabblecast 260 - Trifecta XXIII

Post by Unblinking » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:28 pm

Blue--I really like Sandra's writing. I get the impression that the main character is a former member of the ruling class of an overthrown government, so she is being put on display of an example of how pathetic the former rulers were, yes? I am not totally sure that the sewing up of the eyes and the changing of the colors is the best way to go about this, seems like the ST:TNG method of making you deny the evidence you can actively sense is a better way to subjugate. But I don't think that really hurts the story.

Gorgon--Enjoyable, if not something that will stick in my memory for a very long time. I like a story that lets you see a POV differently than you'd expect.

Unblinking
Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:50 am

Re: Drabblecast 260 - Trifecta XXIII

Post by Unblinking » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:34 pm

And regarding my story, I am very happy to finally have a story on the Drabblecast after years of submitting! And an original no less, so this is the only place you can find this one published.

When I wrote this one I set out to write a 2nd person story that I didn't hate. Which, I'm not totally sure if one would classify this as 2nd person, since it is the Conscience speaking in 1st person, it just happens to be speaking more of "you" than itself. Anyway, 2nd person stories always tend to bug me when they are of the variety "You did this. You did that." It's never clear why the person needs to be told what they have already done. So in this case, I decided the one being spoken to had memory loss and so there was a specific reason why someone else had to tell them what they'd done.

I don't really remember how Pinocchio got tangled up in it. I've always felt a lot of compassion for Geppetto, so it made me really sad when he died.

I have begun a novel that has the events of this story as a major event in it, in this world where steel and stone automatons are commonplace and powerful but stupid and then this wooden child with volition is made by an ordinary carpenter. I've gone a few directions with it, but I always seem to get stuck. I'll finish it when I can figure out how!

Post Reply