Drabblecast 276 – Hullabaloo

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 276 – Hullabaloo

Post by StalinSays » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:49 am

Feature: Hullabaloo by Diane Turnshek
Drabble: A Few Errands by Nathan Lee
Genres: Sci-Fi

Tuesday, March 19th, 2013
The Town Council meeting was split down the middle — Hullabaloo colonists on the one side and Fenella Elane Tyne on the other. Jerram stood in the back and admired the way Fenella strove to convince the tired farmers. Pacing around the podium, she brought to bear the power of unmatched intelligence, impeccable honesty, and polished verbal skills. In the discordant discussion that followed, Jerram studied her serious face. She was magnificent, but hopelessness coursed through him. She didn’t have a chance of winning anyone over to her side. And he did not have a chance of winning her.

Part of Women and Aliens Month.
Art by Kelly MacAvaney
Read by Marguerite Kenner
castofwonders.org

Twabble: “ His crime was subject to the jurisdiction of Poseidon. As is tradition, he chose his means of punishment: firing squid. ” by Horst Ragnarok
Last edited by Algernon Sydney is Dead on Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "Standardize" format. Add or correct links.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Drabblecast 276 – Hullabaloo

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Yes! Great episode!
It was light-hearted and quirky, yet had several things going on. The universe felt large and could easily support more stories. The cream of the crop was the animal's defense mechanism. Truly awesome.
Great job, everyone!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:42 pm

I like the turn to old-fashioned way-out-thereness that is Hullabaloo. It doesn't quite go to the depth of Charlie the Purple Giraffe or The Last Great Clown Hunt, but more like Sing, just a solid premise.

I had never before been consciously grateful that this world did not evolve with parrots as the dominant species.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:39 am

Yes, fine story, and the ending was well telegraphed.

Shout out to the cover art too. Great use of color and I like the exaggerated, paint-on-canvas effect. I can never get it that good in Photoshop.

I don't remember if the story mentioned youngsters, but you know the jig would be up once the colony got some. Plenty of (pre)teens (and adults as proved by all the twits on (lose/de)Facebook) would be bleating nonstop for the mimics -- consequences be damned.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:54 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:Shout out to the cover art too. Great use of color and I like the exaggerated, paint-on-canvas effect. I can never get it that good in Photoshop.
Kelly would have to confirm this, but I believe it is painted, straight up. I just got the image, and added logo/txt after, which is often the case.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:00 pm

Great episode - one of my favorite stories of late. I really liked the new (to me) narrator too.

Extra funny because my own kids are smack dab in the middle of copying everything the other one says, until the first one says "I'm a stupid head who wants a bowl of poop and pee pee soup for lunch."