Drabblecast 277 - The Universe of Things

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 277 - The Universe of Things

Post by StalinSays » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:13 am

Feature: The Universe of Things by Gwyneth Jones

Thursday, March 28th, 2013
The alien parked its car across the street from the shop and came and sat down in the waiting room. The mechanic must have seen this happen, peripherally. But he was busy settling the bill with a smartly dressed middle-aged woman, to whom he’d taken an irrational dislike. Those who deal with Joe Punter, day in and day out, especially Joe car-owning Punter, are prone to such allergies. He saw her start of concealed surprise, looked up, and there was the alien.

Women and Aliens Month

Art by Liz Pennies
Read by Frank Key

Twabble: “ Sir Hugh secured his chastity armor. He learned the hard way that one takes no chances when fighting the dire armadildo. ” by Horst Ragnarok
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

kathy348

Re: Drabblecast 277 - The Universe of Things

Post by kathy348 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:16 pm

Picking on white guys simply for being white guys is so de rigueur these days that it's lost all meaning and essentially serves as punctuation. That's why I nearly missed it when Norm did it in his intro; it only caught my ear because he outsmarted himself, so wrapped up in reflexive self-loathing that he forgot that the alien in Alien was in fact played by a black guy.** And no crying "parody", either; there was no joke involved.

**I've been around modern academia long enough to know that the act of casting a black man as an alien monster will itself be considered an act of racism by some. This is why race-based cultural criticism should be ignored--because it's not falsifiable. Cast a white guy? Racist. Cast a black guy? Also racist.

kathy348

Post by kathy348 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:19 pm

PS (assuming my previous post made it past the censors): Excellent choice of story. A legitimate classic that's hard to find. And I'll take as much of Frank Key's narration as I can get.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:05 pm

kathy348 wrote:assuming my previous post made it past the censors...
We're not too draconian about censoring anything but spam (at least now that the worst two offenders (myself being one) have toned down the controversial stuff a bit).
It just sometimes takes a few hours for a moderator to spot/check the approval queue.

Keep it polite (again one of the worse (ex?) offenders here) and on-topic-ish and no one gets censored but spammers. Last guy to get censored was me** (pretty sure) and that was a couple years ago now.

Anyway, Welcome aboard!

** Not counting self censorship. You should see my collection of self-censored twabbles. It would give ROU Killing Time an instant aneurism, and also require the DC forums to post an NC-17 rating.

DoctorBanzai

Post by DoctorBanzai » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:39 am

Great story this time around. I loved it. Frank Key's narration was great, and brought a wonderful feeling to the story.

Keep up the good work all involved!!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:02 am

Huh.
I was completely unable to connect with the mechanic in this story. I had a very hard time connecting to the story itself. The end result, intended or not, was the story feeling alien, with occasional glimpses into this other way of being. Which is exactly what this story was about.

So, intended or not, well done. :shock:
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

sandrilde

Post by sandrilde » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:08 am

I enjoyed this one.