Drabblecast 280 – Trifecta XXV

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 280 – Trifecta XXV

Post by StalinSays » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:37 pm

Feature: Try My Shank by Kenton K. Yee
Feature: Morning Espresso at the Church of Me by Anthony J. Rapino
Feature: Dead Jimmy and the Selkie by Iseult Murphy
No drabble for this episode.
Genres: Comedy Strange

Thursday, April 25th, 2013
You've been one-legged since the lasso trap. Your personal ad says "Kids: undecided" even though you desperately want two.

When the maître d' shows you to your blind date’s table, you are pleased with her prominent forehead and symmetric face. She has potential.

Before you can sit, her eyes drift to where your missing leg would be and snap back to your face. She forces a smile.

Art by Matthew Mattice
Read by: Mat Weller, Nathan Lee
Music by: Gringo Motel

Twabble: “ My butcher offered me a hand with my parcels, but they never have enough meat to justify picking out all the little bones. ” by Laria Grey
Last edited by Algernon Sydney is Dead on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "Standardize" format. Add or correct links.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Re: Drabblecast 280 – Trifecta XXV

Post by StalinSays » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:48 pm

Nice, light set of stories, despite the subject matter. Dead Jimmy and the Selkie was my favorite of the set: I enjoyed the looseness and sense of fun. It's the beer I'd order out of this flight. Morning Espresso at the Church of Me was interesting, but I was left unsatisfied by a lack of understanding of the nature of the narrator's magic blood (probably missing the point of the piece). I had a sense of what Try My Shank was playing at; I took it as more of a mood piece. Ultimately left me a bit dry.

Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Bo, based on the color of your urine samples, I am afraid you have liver disease.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:46 pm

I guess I just have this thing about cannibalism that interferes with my willing suspension of disbelief.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:56 pm

Oh, heck yea. This was one of the best trifectas in recent memory!

Try My Shank was disturbingly weird. I'm not sure I understood it, but I still enjoyed it.

Morning Espresso at the Church of Me was a great exposition to the common sentiment of "I have coffee for blood", or "I have have caffeine in my veins." It brought to bear the socially accepted addiction much of society runs on, and what they are willing to do to get it. Two thumbs up!

Dead Jimmy and the Selkie is one of the best stories I have heard here in a while. Where do you find these authors!? Kudos to the slush team. What more do you want? A private eye story with a comedic zombie and a straight man partner, a selkie married to a short bald man in a seaside house, and a zombie who can't, and doesn't need to, swim? Top it off with a world class production and voice acting, you just can't get any better.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Lo Haven

Post by Lo Haven » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:54 am

The first story was alright. It was a little too slow for me.

The second story was my favorite by far. If there were ever a Starbucks barista that bled coffee, I doubt they'd make it more than three days in today's society. I'd personally assault them if they had a vein of tall Skinny Mochas.

I enjoyed the third story as well. The narration added to it for sure. I loved the line about the zombie not being able to swim, and also not being able to drown.

sandrilde

Post by sandrilde » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:44 pm

A cannibalism trifecta seems like something that just had to happen. Loved the 3rd story best - I am somewhat turned off by serious zombie stories, but I love the funny ones and this was so different from any other funny zombie story I've read.

Hoping Amazon picks up Zombieland tv show (and makes it better than the pilot...)

sandrilde

Post by sandrilde » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:37 pm

bump

chemistryguy

Post by chemistryguy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:44 pm

This is the f*<{ed up $h!+ that makes drabblecast great. None of it made much sense, but I enjoyed every last drop. Hurray for zombie private eyes.

onipar

Post by onipar » Mon May 13, 2013 6:52 pm

I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to drop by and thank you all for the great comments (I'm the author of "Morning Espresso at the Church of Me.") It's always interesting and fun to read what people think. Thanks again!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:40 am

onipar wrote:I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to drop by and thank you all for the great comments (I'm the author of "Morning Espresso at the Church of Me.") It's always interesting and fun to read what people think. Thanks again!
Were we close??
:D
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

onipar

Post by onipar » Tue May 14, 2013 4:10 pm

tbaker2500 wrote: Were we close??
:D

:D Nail on head.

The inspiration initially came from all my writer-friends posting on Facebook in the morning about needing their coffee before they could write anything. It struck me as an interesting juxtaposition between addiction and religious ritual. It evolved from there.

Thanks again for the great comments!