Drabblecast 117 - Curse of the Alien's Wife

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Mr. Tweedy

Drabblecast 117 - Curse of the Alien's Wife

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:09 pm

Curse of the Alien's Wife by Bruce Boston

Now that his supernal caress has become the familiar sanctum of her nights, she fears that no mere human partner could ever satisfy her again...

Drabble - The Entertainer by Brett Reynolds

ImageNigeria Scam Spam 2: The Sequel
Now with prizes of American cash!

Bruce Boston

Music by John Doyle and Steve Urwin

delfedd

Post by delfedd » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:45 pm

I started listening to this story, and I couldn't deal with it. Sorry, Drabblecast isn't the place for this at all. EVER. I'm sure it was wonderfully funny and weird, but...

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:28 pm

I had my doubts about this one after the warning, but went on faith with the editors and outstanding DC record so far. After the first few minutes of the story (which followed hilarious announcement of scam spam comp and a wonderful drabble) I was really having doubts-- would she explode with his alien parasitic larva offspring and we'd get another notorious drabblecast 'splat'? Pretty please?

But no- instead it actually turned out to be one of the most poignant stories in a really long time I think.
The erotica is just a setup and is dropped after the first few minutes, then it turns into dark scifi. From a technical standpoint, the writing here may be the most impressive I've heard so far on the drabblecast.
Really made me think about past relationships, why they didn't work out. The message I got here was: needing someone does not mean you love them, but loving someone does mean you need them.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people in the forum will dislike this story, but it really hit home with me, I thought it was fantastic.

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:39 am

Some say love, it is a crack ho.
I agree with both previous posts; it was well-written, but interspecies erotica, whether with squid or aliens, is a place I hope DC avoids. Real world mores have gotten so weird, it makes DC weirdness look perverted. Seems like EP had an effect on Norm... no FX either.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:07 am

I think the "explicit" warning was misplaced, as is the description of this story as "erotica." All we have here is insinuation and implication, which most kids probably wouldn't get anyway. (Not a complaint here, just as observation.)

Meh.

The story was presented well, but it was boring. Neither the narrator nor the alien lover have any dimensionality or deep motives. The idea of the woman being literally addicted to her lover could be either tragic or touching if there was some context surrounding it, but there isn't, and consequently I have no feelings about it. Same for the alien. Who is he? What does he want? Does her really care about anyone is he just an automaton with altruism hardwired into his brain? Does he want the woman to come with him or is he taking her along just because he lacks the ability to say "no"? I don't know, and so I have no emotional investment.

This could have been interesting if it was twice as long, but as it is falls pretty flat.

Nigerian scam spam FTW!
Advertise in this space!

Beth Peters

Post by Beth Peters » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:12 am

I'm not even sure what I voted for in the poll! :-) It looked most like my expression, so I guess that's good.

I agree with Mr. Tweedy that this is only loosely "erotica" (not that I know what fits the bill there *cough cough*). It started off pretty sexy but then it leveled out. I think Mr. Tweedy also made good points against the story, I really was wondering "what does this alien need her for?" Additional alien background would have helped give context.
That said, I actually did very much enjoy this story. I think it was designed to connect and engage with the "alien" aspects of relationships, the things we just don't get, the things we try to deal with despite them being awkward or difficult.
If you don't get hung up on the physical layer of this story I think it connects in different ways. It's a second listen story, IMO.
I listened again because I was expecting chest-bursters and what I got was a real story with some subtlety buried in it that was all but lost because of my Drabblecastian expectations.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:18 pm

It's interesting to read the reactions of the diehard DC fans when their expectation are challenged.

I'd say the story was OK.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

treeman

Post by treeman » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:52 am

Ooo...I've got some Spam cooking already.

I figured there'd be a schism with this story, for two reasons:
One, those who thought it was too sexed out and those who thought that wasn't a big part of the story at all (count me in the later).
People who cared about why the alien was here and people who didn't (me in the latter again).

I did like this story, I don't think it would have added anything if we knew more about the alien than he was alien (green eyes, socially awkward). Like Rich, this story tapped into experiences I have had where because someone needed me (or vice versa) a certain infatuation came with it. And things fall apart when the reliance isn't there.
I do think it could have been longer, but that could just a tell that it was a good story.

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:07 am

Yeah, I have to say my favourite part of the whole cast was the warning, which I listened to twice.

The story was well written and the author can certainly turn a delicious phrase. But it was just, well, boring. It doesn't even rate a 'meh.'

It doesn't help that I was promised boobies.
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:00 am

Hmmmm..... Reminded me of a soap opera about an interracial couple. It just didn't do much for me.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:47 pm

"Norm Sherman is the god of podcasting." -Tony C. Smith, Starship Sofa 5/6/09

Oh shit, Norm. Prepare to be destroyed, or mated with.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

JohnNWFS

Alien Love... or not

Post by JohnNWFS » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:24 pm

Finally caught up on the last 50 drabblecasts after hearing about DC from Tony C. Smith over on StarshipSofa. Some day I may go back to the 1st 60 or so...

I appreciated the "warning" Norm gave, but doubt my kids would've picked up on what was going on... if I let my kids listen... which I don't so I guess that's a moot point.

The story was ok for me. Better than meh, but not stellar (heck, they never got off the planet).

I'm not sure where I'm going with thid thought right now, but there was something about the main character's whole drive being her addiction to Alien sex. Apparently her addiction is so great that she is willing to work any odd job to keep eating, have a place to stay and help her alien boyfriend help every bum they meet (sounded like she didn't give him a chance to meet non-bums with the people she surrounded him/it with). "Work any odd job"? Doesn't seem that big a deal for an addict.

Yeah, she alienated her friends and family with all the money borrowing and... hey, wait a minute... I think she was a Bum! The alien guy really hung out with her and ... uh ... gave her what she wanted just 'cause that was his nature! Maybe he didn't love her at all!

:shock:

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:28 pm

strawman wrote:"Norm Sherman is the god of podcasting." -Tony C. Smith, Starship Sofa 5/6/09

Oh shit, Norm. Prepare to be destroyed, or mated with.
Norm is definitely the Master of the podcast! And he keeps appearing everywhere, taking over the whole podcasting universe. Love that.

Ehm, I totally forgot what this story was about because Norm read my feedback on the ep. w00t! Even pronouncing the name right! The bribery worked :)
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:56 pm

I groaned when I heard the warning ("Oh no, not erotica" and not "Uhhhhh erotica"), however I liked the story once the sex was out of the way.

I think that she loved him.

Deadguy

Post by Deadguy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:26 pm

I firmly believe that there is room for erotica in any medium, even the hallowed halls of the DC. I'd like to see more alien erotica on Fox News. Can I write to anyone and request this? However, I also feel that this piece didn't live up to the hype either. Proboscis unstirred.

As always Norm was funny as hell.