Drabblecast 288 – Bayou Witch

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 288 – Bayou Witch

Post by StalinSays » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Feature: Bayou Witch by Caitlin Thiele
Drabble: In the Shelter of Each Other by Rachael K. Jones
Genres: Fantasy

Tuesday, July 9th, 2013
Cat’s tail flicked impatiently back and forth across Elle’s face. She resisted the urge to brush it away. Mud tugged at her feet, and putrid water soaked through her shoes. She ducked beneath a low hanging branch dripping with old man’s beard. It trailed over her shoulders, and evidently Cat, who dug his claws into her scalp slightly in payback. She bit her lip at the pain.

Episode Art: K. Martinez

Twabble: “ Red. Red everywhere. I let it enter my house. I dab a finger for a taste. Jam. The peanut butter has gone feral. I am afraid. ” by Big Bad G
Last edited by Algernon Sydney is Dead on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "Standardize" format. Add or correct links.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

strawman

Re: Drabblecast 288 – Bayou Witch

Post by strawman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:48 pm

Well, the slush pyramid has done good! I am excited and pleased that one of our own is now in the running for the Chalice of Glory.

We already have some comments posted in the Short Story thread here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4599
Now we get to hear if the music we imagined is the music Norm adds.

I sincerely hope this will be the first story of many, and that when Caitline receives her Hugo, she will remember us from the stage.

So, I have now listened to the story, and was once again transported to a place that felt something like the Twilight Zone, or like Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, except now from the perspective of Guy Fieri's taste buds.

May Caitline continue to write and submit, and may others be inspired to match and follow! :D
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:12 pm

HOLY CRAP! I go camping for a couple days, thinking, "I can check out from the interwebs no problem. It's not like anything *important* will come in." I walk back in the door to find Norm's run one of my drabbles on the show! ...Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor. What an honor!

A small request: can I get the spelling of my first name changed to "Rachael"? The extra "a" really sets me apart in the otherwise generic world of Joneses. :wink:

Can't wait to listen to the whole episode as I loved Caitline/GeekOut's original version on the story forums. Congrats Caitline! And well done, Strawman, with such heroic slushing!
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Varda wrote:A small request: can I get the spelling of my first name changed to "Rachael"? The extra "a" really sets me apart in the otherwise generic world of Joneses. :wink:
My apologies for forcing normalcy upon your moniker - clearly not the intent. 'tis re-personalized.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:37 pm

Varda wrote:HOLY CRAP! I go camping for a couple days, thinking, "I can check out from the interwebs no problem. It's not like anything *important* will come in." I walk back in the door to find Norm's run one of my drabbles on the show! ...Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor. What an honor!

A small request: can I get the spelling of my first name changed to "Rachael"? The extra "a" really sets me apart in the otherwise generic world of Joneses. :wink:

Can't wait to listen to the whole episode as I loved Caitline/GeekOut's original version on the story forums. Congrats Caitline! And well done, Strawman, with such heroic slushing!
Congratulations, it is indeed an exhilarating experience, is it not? Sorta like appearing on America's Most Wanted. ;-)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Varda

Post by Varda » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:02 am

No worries Bo! Much obliged. I had worse spellcheck issues back before I was a Jones. No one ever got the spelling or pronunciation right for my very Germanic maiden name. :D
ROU Killing Time wrote:Congratulations, it is indeed an exhilarating experience, is it not? Sorta like appearing on America's Most Wanted. ;-)
Thanks ROU! Agreed - there's nothing like it. I definitely spent the evening drinking beer and caffeine and staying up until 3 in the morning because I was so excited.Sorta like kids on Halloween when they've gorged themselves on too much sugar.

Hey, this is cool: all three of us featured in this week's episode are Drabblecast newbies in our respective categories! I think this needs to be a new tradition: the virgin sacrifice in July to ensure a successful Lovecraft Month.

I finally sat down and listened to the episode and absolutely loved it. The story was that mixture of poignant and weird that makes the DC great. What really stood out to me hearing it was the imagery of the cat's claws digging into Elle's scalp, and the association with the pain of brain cancer. While I've never had brain cancer, I've had some migraines that felt like that. What an original and creative way to describe it. And I love the ambiguity: is there magic going on, or just disease? Bittersweet either way.

Hey BigBadG, I *LOVED* the Twabble. It might be one of my favorites ever. Is there a story behind it, or did it just come to you in a PB&J-induced nightmare?

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)

TheBigBadG

Post by TheBigBadG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:05 pm

I haven't listened to this episode yet so I've read almost none of the above. Bear with me, I'm on #148 The Last Great Clown Hunt atm...
Varda wrote:Hey BigBadG, I *LOVED* the Twabble. It might be one of my favorites ever. Is there a story behind it, or did it just come to you in a PB&J-induced nightmare?
Thank you, Varda. You're too kind, and one day you'll realise the error of yourways. :oops: I didn't even realise it had made it to the show until a couple of days ago. It's my first publication credit ever (pending invention of a time-machine) so I've been spontaneously *squeeeeeeeeee*-ing since realising.

No story though. I started with a blood-soaked room, then imagined Norm reading it and the rest just seemed right. Not sure if that says more about me or Norm. Also, and don't hate me for this, but I'm English. The whole PB&J thing just seems a bit weird...

Varda

Post by Varda » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:23 pm

TheBigBadG wrote:Also, and don't hate me for this, but I'm English. The whole PB&J thing just seems a bit weird...
When you really stop to think about it, PB&J is ground-up trail mix on sandwich bread, which is a pretty strange idea.

But try convincing an American that children are not universally wired to love peanut butter and jelly. It's one of those odd cultural assumptions that we don't even recognize isn't universal. I had a friend who did some volunteer work in South America. She was assigned to make lunch for about 50 kids, so she stayed up all night assembling PBJ, and then watched in horror as all 50 kids expressed disgust and refused to eat such a gross foreign concoction.

Still, pretty much every region and country has a version of this story. Cue my amusement when I was in Cambridge a couple years ago, and my coworkers made me try all kinds of dubious foods, like something called "Bubble and Squeak", and a suspect brown spread referred to only as "Branston's". The curry was superb, though.

Drabblescout Badges:

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:33 pm

NUTELLA !!!
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

TheBigBadG

Post by TheBigBadG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:45 pm

Varda wrote:Cue my amusement when I was in Cambridge a couple years ago, and my coworkers made me try all kinds of dubious foods, like something called "Bubble and Squeak", and a suspect brown spread referred to only as "Branston's". The curry was superb, though.
I'm not a massive fan of bubble and squeak because it always involves overcooking, which is a crime against cabbage. As for Branstons, s'good! Try it with mature cheddar and you're onto a winner. Did you get as far as piccalilli?

Strawman - it does sound like you've had enough. I used to live with a girl who ate entire jars with a spoon in one sitting.

Varda

Post by Varda » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:58 pm

TheBigBadG wrote:Did you get as far as piccalilli?
Actually, yes! I think I liked it? I need to go back sometime and give it another go. As far as Branstons... I bought a jar and took it home with me. Which completely undermines my point about PBJ, but that stuff really is damn tasty.

Nutella is absolutely my desert-island food!

Drabblescout Badges:

silverflute

Post by silverflute » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:56 pm

The setting was very well done in this. Rich lovely imagery without being overwrought. The fact that the boy was a werewolf didn't really make sense to me though, I don't see how it lended anything to the story. Maybe a commentary on transformation? Or was it just because she had a brain tumor/ seeing allusions and it could have just as well been a giant dancing turnip for that matter? Also, was she expecting him? She seemed to have all this stuff and supplies pre-prepared for him.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Damn good job! This was a great episode, newbies aside. That fact that they were home grown stories is icing on the squid cake!

Good catch on the claws/cancer bit Varda. I was really sucked into the swamp imagery, and thought the depiction of the cat was purrfect.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

GeekOut

Post by GeekOut » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:25 pm

I can't believe it took me so gorram long to realize that there was a thread for this. :oops: Thanks to everyone who listened and liked my story! Just to clarify, I don't croquet squids, I crochet them. Although that would be an interesting game. Thank you Drabblecast! Love,
Caitlin.