Drabblecast 290 – The Screaming Door

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 290 – The Screaming Door

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:42 am

Feature: The Screaming Door by Hampus Flink
Drabble: Structural Decay by Nathan Lee
Genres: Mystery Strange

Tuesday, July 30th, 2013
It has been two hundred days since the door to my study began screaming. I was nodding over a volume of Edwin Corang’s collected prose when I first felt it; a curious ripple that moved through the
room, standing my hair on edge, followed by the sensation of coffee spilling into my lap as the screaming began…

Episode Art: Forrest Warner
Read by: Dan Chambers

Twabble: “ Later, lizard-woman gave her errant husband such a strenuous tongue-lashing, that it went in one ear and out the other. ” by DireCari

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Re: Drabblecast 290 – The Screaming Door

Post by StalinSays » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:07 am

Light and charming, old school Drabblecast. Here's to a lighthearted respite before the horrors Lovecraft month!

Also, here's to the horrors of Lovecraft month!
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:51 pm

I'm with Bo - this one felt like classic Drabblecast! Funny, horrifying, and weird as all get-out. I enjoyed the increasing escalation of the neighborhood passive-aggression war, culminating with the destruction of Peace and Quiet for the whole world.

Plus, it had one of my favorite Drabbles on the forums ever - absolutely thrilled to hear it produced. Bravo, Nathan! And it was even better with Norm's impeccable delivery. :D
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

tobadzistsini

Post by tobadzistsini » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:51 am

I enjoyed The Screaming Door and it certainly harkened back to the Drabblecast's olden days when Norm didn't sound like the proper Norm we know and love in 2013.

Polecat

Post by Polecat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:59 am

This story did cause me to chuckle merrily, also to grin.
In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that it is my favourite DC episode for a very long time. The story was indeed strange, and pleased this strange listener immensely; no explanation was offered as to why the door was screaming, and, I think, none was necessary - I saw (heard?) it as an allegory of the misfortunes that can strike us at any time that are completely beyond our control - the loss of a job, or a loved one, mental illness or one of the other slings and arrows that, to put it in british parlance, knock us for six, and render living in the "normal" world inhabited by our friends and neighbours an impossibility. Speaking of british parlance, I loved Mr. Flink's style - it had that "I've learned English ever so well and I'm going to damn well show you" quality in common with the likes of Conrad and Nabokov; almost perfect, but with a slightly "off" quality. I found it impossible to visualise which country the action was taking place in, somewhere where restraint and socially acceptable behaviour is highly valued, as in Britain or the scandinavian countries I've visited, but not specifically identifiable as any particular one. I found the story whimsical, too - the protagonist is repeatedly threatened with "incarceration" by members of the constabulary, but rather than being banged up with a bunch of criminals, drug addicts and drunks, the implication of this threat feels more like "we'll send you to bed with no supper", a different prospect entirely.
Then there was the delivery, which induced a sharp attack of nostalgia. I grew up in Britain, mainly in the 1970s, when the broadcast media was the BBC, and the BBC still insisted upon "recieved pronunciation" - none of your Yorkshire, Scottish or Irish accents, and god forbid, nothing from the colonies. Dan Chambers' reading was reminiscent of this lost age of broadcasting, and quite delightful.

Thank you very much, Mr. Sherman, for this splendid episode.

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:39 pm

What is it about Scandinavians that is so screamish?

Norwegian Munch has been doorified by Swedish Flink. Isn't that it?

But it is, as has been noted, a perfect scream for us. We must have Viking blood in us.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Kibitzer

Post by Kibitzer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:07 am

Who knew Montgomery Burns is a Star Wars geek?
Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Awesome drabble. That was really, really good. I second the things other's have said here. But I must admit, while listening, I loved it until the end. Truly WFT???
Having had a bit to digest it, I now think that the ending is the right one. It's strange, keep it strange. Don't explain it. Marvel in its confusion.

Good choice, good execution.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:42 am

I too very much enjoyed this crazy story. What kind of crazy brain thinks of such things?

What a great choice of voice actor.

When it got to the end I wondered if the author started with an image of a world gone screaming mad and wondered how it happened and then worked backwards to think it was something that burned and spread madness and then "what burns" and then "wood" and then "how did the wood come to burn in such a way that its destruction caused its flaming embers to ignite the world?"

The last time I felt I saw that kind of "working backwards" was in the Futurama when Leela said "Bender, you can't give up every time you get an axe in the back, or a drill to the face. Now stop scratching your axe hole and get out there." At that moment I pictured the writers imagining that scene and then working backwards to create the whole plot to reach that point.

chemistryguy

Post by chemistryguy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:28 pm

I loved this story! The dry, British narration absolutely made it.
I saw (heard?) it as an allegory of the misfortunes that can strike us at any time that are completely beyond our control
Didn't see that, but I can get behind your interpretation.

Hampus Flink

Post by Hampus Flink » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:36 pm

I was so nervous that I didn't listen to this episode until today.

My deepest thanks to The Drabblecast for producing the story. I've never heard any of my writing narrated before and Dan Chambers did a terrific job. It was very encouraging to read the positive comments on this message board, so thank you all for listening and taking the time to share your thoughts.

I would also like to commend Nathan Lee on his verbal nightmare - I found it terrifying and funny in equal measure.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:45 pm

Welcome aboard, Mr. Flink!

It was a fine, amusing story, and Dan Chambers really sold it to me.
(I wish I could offer more detailed praise but I was stuck in traffic when I heard this episode. So, my attention was divided and my contemporaneous thoughts were punctuated with expletives.)

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:10 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote: my attention was divided and my contemporaneous thoughts were punctuated with expletives.)
Which would make it different exactly how? :lol:
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:15 am

The expletives are usually more of a steady stream.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:26 am

Hampus Flink wrote:I was so nervous that I didn't listen to this episode until today.

My deepest thanks to The Drabblecast for producing the story. I've never heard any of my writing narrated before and Dan Chambers did a terrific job. It was very encouraging to read the positive comments on this message board, so thank you all for listening and taking the time to share your thoughts.

I would also like to commend Nathan Lee on his verbal nightmare - I found it terrifying and funny in equal measure.
Glad you popped your head in here. Good job, you nailed the Drabblecast style very well!

That being said, do you have any insight on the ending? :roll:

danchambers

Post by danchambers » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:24 pm

Guys - thanks for your comments. And thank you Mr Flink - the story was a delight to read!

Hampus Flink

Post by Hampus Flink » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome and kind comments.
tbaker2500 wrote:That being said, do you have any insight on the ending? :roll:
The main character's actions are related to elements of his backstory that are suggested rather than stated outright. I'd rather not relate these meanings explicitly, but the story was written to contain several different subtexts in addition to the surface narrative (Polecat already touched on one of them).

Beth Peters

Post by Beth Peters » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:30 pm

Great reading, great story!

Tom, FWIW, my interpretation of the ending was that in burning the door the protagonist was releasing whatever mysterious element caused the door to scream out into the atmosphere to inhabit objects everywhere and fill the world with screaming things.
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:10 am

Okay, as long as I know I wasn't missing something that was meant to be obvious! Thanks for the author's note.

Chivalrybean

Post by Chivalrybean » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:23 pm

But, he never actually tried to see of the exorcism would work! Seemed like if they were going to try everything, try that too. They nearly got the suggestion, but didn't try it out.

Doesn't mean it had to work, and a single line like 'but that got us nowhere' would solve it.

Unless it was a blatant dismissal of anything to do with God as if it was useless, which may be the case.