Drabblecast 119 - The Seven Deadly Drabbles

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 119 - The Seven Deadly Drabbles

Postby Kevin Anderson » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:32 am

Drabblecast 119

The Seven Deadly Drabbles
by Jake Bible

Damascus started to object, but feeling the stares from those in the infinite line behind him, he angrily flipped open his courier’s bag and grabbed two bloody, dripping muslin bags. He slapped them on the counter and huffed away...

Music - Seraphic Panoply, Vivaldi, Gringo Motel, Paula Cole and Norm Sherman
Art - Bryan Dubreuiel
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:28 pm

This was a great episode. All other points aside, it was an original use of the format. Not only that, it was a good use of the format. Let's see more of this, writers!

"I don't wanna wait, for our lives to be over..." made me laugh such that I almost swerved into the next lane.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

bonus

Postby StalinSays » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:43 pm

I was thumbs in the middle on the stories as a whole. I feel like once you climb out on the branch and personify a penis, you have to push the concept and really make the bawdiness play. Not sure the drabble accomplished that. Angsty zombie teens though, good stuff.

Norm could have played us out with a rerun Just Mizunderstood, but he decided to go for a choice cover. Great stuff. I almost swerved in to the other cubicle.

Mr. Tweedy

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:53 pm

This may be the first time I have ever had cause to say this about a Drabblecast episode... but that sucked.

None of the drabbles was very strong, and they made poor use the theme. "Lust" barely had anything to do with lust. "Gluttony" had nothing to do with gluttony. "Pride" and "Envy" were so unrelated to their theme that I can't even remember which was which. The only one of the seven that was good was "Sloth," and that was only an average drabble.

The material was just... boring, and, in the case of "Envy", classlessly juvenile.

There's a first time for everything, and, sadly, this is the first time I have nothing good to say about a Drabblecast episode.

:(
Advertise in this space!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

hmm

Postby StalinSays » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:25 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:There's a first time for everything, and, sadly, this is the first time I have nothing good to say about a Drabblecast episode.

Got to at least give it up to a clever framing concept, right? That's one thing. Oh Tweedy, I know there is a shred of positivity in there somewhere.

PS: not being contradictory - the content of the episode is decidedly lackluster.

Mr. Tweedy

Re: hmm

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:45 pm

StalinSays wrote:Oh Tweedy, I know there is a shred of positivity in there somewhere.

Production was good (as always). Good music.
Advertise in this space!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Re: hmm

Postby StalinSays » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:01 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Production was good (as always). Good music.

A faery jut got its wings. Then clipped them back off as a show of solidarity.

Phenopath

Postby Phenopath » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:24 pm

I liked 'Sloth', a lot, very clever.

I think that the format worked, the seven drabbles were held together by the theme and the consistent style.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:30 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:This may be the first time I have ever had cause to say this about a Drabblecast episode... but that sucked.

None of the drabbles was very strong, and they made poor use the theme. "Lust" barely had anything to do with lust. "Gluttony" had nothing to do with gluttony. "Pride" and "Envy" were so unrelated to their theme that I can't even remember which was which. The only one of the seven that was good was "Sloth," and that was only an average drabble.

The material was just... boring, and, in the case of "Envy", classlessly juvenile.

There's a first time for everything, and, sadly, this is the first time I have nothing good to say about a Drabblecast episode.

:(

I think that old phrase about "If you don't have something good to say..." would of worked just fine here. It's gotta be pretty hard on the ego of an aspiring writer to read something like this. But, I'm just a big wus.

DougallStrange

its okay

Postby DougallStrange » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:26 am

I liked it, that said I did think there was room for improvement, the conceit of going through all the seven deadly sins was great, but I can't believe I' m going to say this about the drabblecast the talking penis was unnecessary and it took me out of the story. So on the whole not the best Drabblecast I have ever heard, but Far from the Worst thing I have ever loaded on my Ipod. I give it an A for effort, and hope Jake Bible submits more stories in the future. thinking about the paula cole thing still makes me shutter that was weird.

p.s. I don't know who this Dougallstrange guy mentioned in reader feedback is but he has got some issues.
Unnamable Cthuloid horrors, crumble rock, rusts scissors and inscribes paper with blasphemous secrets that cause your eyeballs to explode while your tongue catches fire from the unholy hymns your crazed mind forces you to scream out.

the mighty twix

Postby the mighty twix » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:10 pm

I think that this story was just what it was supposed to be. 7 quick drabbles that were weird and amusing. I am right in the middle of unpacking my new place, and these few stories had me chuckling and cheered. Wrath was especially funny to me. I have problems with lizzing as well.

What i don't understand is why everyone has such a limp attitude towards a talking penis? I often assign voices to my various appendages. I believe the world might be a better place if all of our sexual organs had a voice now and again. As for the penis' envious self esteem issues, I believe the author nailed it on the head, it reminds me of being a not so cool teenager again.

Richmazzer

Postby Richmazzer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:14 am

Definitely see how this episode didn't do it for some people. I was not one of those people however. This was going for a certain kind of juvenile humor akin to the super animal deathmatch podcast, and if that's not your style, no shame in that.
I could see how they all related to a sin ("penis envy" was a particularly funny subtlety) also, liked the Dawson's Creek cover and handling of the angsty zombie-teen who couldn't come to terms with who he was and chuckled as the cleverness of the line in the song being "Don't want to wait, for our lives to be over").
These were quick and silly. I enjoyed them but can see where those who set the Drabblecast bar quite high (and for good reason) would be disappointed.

Goldenrat

Postby Goldenrat » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:26 am

I didn't like it at all. The production was great as usual but that's about it for me.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

Mr. Tweedy

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:15 am

Personal pet peeve: Penis envy.

"Penis envy" is an idea Freud made up about how girls are jealous of their brothers's penises. (Yes, Freud was a nut job.) It is girls who are supposed to have penis envy. Penis envy is not when one dude wishes he had another dude's penis.

I always here that term used wrong and it always make me go :x .
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:50 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:I always here that term used wrong and it always make me go :x .

Doesn't it just ruin a good rant when you use the wrong homophone? :D

Mr. Tweedy

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:38 am

:D When I first red that I thought you'd written "homophobe". (Only won letter difference.) Quite a funny mistake their. Only if you here it in context, though. Otherwise it would make no cents.
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:39 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote::D When I first red that I thought you'd written "homophobe".

Me two!
"Give us all some Jelly"

strawman

Postby strawman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:39 pm

Don't even consider applying for a job with a talking doll company,
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

cammoblammo

Postby cammoblammo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:43 pm

Let me say that I didn't really enjoy this a whole lot, but it wasn't the worst thing I've heard. In fact, it wasn't even the worst thing I heard on my drive yesterday. It was okay.

I will say that the author took a pretty big risk with this story, and the Drabblecast took a pretty big risk playing it. The DC is all about pushing a few boundaries and this is right up there.

Did it work? I don't know. I'm inclined to try a similar thing (remember my drabble made up of haikus??!!??) but it's been done now, and I'm not sure the DC would do it again. If they did it would be on the strength of the story, not on the form.

Having said that, I think this was a great format for exploring a subject like the seven deadly sins. Like Mr Tweedy I'm not sure it did it all that well, but I'm reminded of Monty Python's The Meaning of Life which was ostensibly a look at all the stages of a person's life. It sort of did that, but generated a whole heap of short skits, some far funnier than others. This story was a collection of drabbles with a theme running through them. Some of the drabbles were really good, others not so.

(So there you go, Mr Author Man. I believe I favourably compared you to Monty Python. Good job!)
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

Dr. Sax

I'm conflicted

Postby Dr. Sax » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:39 am

I still think it was a clever idea whether it was well written or not, and the idea itself is a redeeming quality. After all, if a song is terrible but has a good structure (usually sonata form) people will be tricked in to thinking it's good when it's actually terrible. But this story's form was created by the author contrary to sonata form in popular music. I loved the idea and it worked, it just wasn't well executed. I think he should try the same idea again.

Norm makes me laugh...every time. So between the idea for the formal structure and Norm's brilliant story telling, I had an enjoyable experience.

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”