Drabblecast 295 – Twenty Ways the Desert Could Kill You

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 295 – Twenty Ways the Desert Could Kill You

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:10 am

Feature: Twenty Ways the Desert Could Kill You by Sarah Pinkster
Drabble: Improved Stars by Chantal Beaulne
Genres: Fantasy

Monday, September 9th, 2013
1. A poisonous snake could bite you, and you could die.
2. You could prick your finger on a previously undiscovered poisonous cactus.
3. The cactus isn’t poisonous, and neither is the snake, but the snake’s venom is a powerful anti-coagulant. You could bleed to death from the place you were bitten and/or pricked.

Full version of Jacob Wayne Bryner's episode art (prints available)
Episode Art: Jacob Wayne Bryner
Read by: Michelle Ristuccia

Twabble: “ "Geomancy. G-E-O-M-A-N-C-Y." In the crowd, proud wizards cheered for their apprentices. The Spelling Bee had begun. ” by Varda

Richmazzer

Re: Drabblecast 295 – Twenty Ways the Desert Could Kill You

Postby Richmazzer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Very enjoyable story. I thought it did a good job of making our understanding of events pace well with the little girl's, and the end was just heartbreaking in a good way. This was a "pre-post-apocalypse" story and I really loved its simplicity and how it stuck to the characters relationship rather than the apocalypse itself. Bravo to the author and reader (who really sounded like a little girl!)

Flintknapper

Postby Flintknapper » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:50 pm

Yeah a story about New Mexico!

Congrats to Moustache and Varda too!

Loved the story too. Hell I think New Mexico makes a great place to live out the apocalypse. Had many of things happen to me at one time or another too including shot at... but the one most people don't think and the one I was happiest with the author mentioning was abandoned mineshafts. Before I took over at Manager of Jemez Historic Site, I was the Historical Archaeologist for the State's Office of Archaeological Studies. The bulk of the work I did, from as far north as Raton and as far south as Deming, was directing the identification and documentation of abandoned mineshafts and their respective towns. People die every year falling in the shafts.

I remember standing on the northern slope of Cookes Peak and feeling like I was on the moon. There are literally thousands of shafts dropping 100 ft or more down into the mountain. There were adits that went on for miles too. In fact one crew I had survey accidently cornered a mountain lion in one of the adits. Thing hissed (for lack of a better word) and they went a running. Fun times. I actually miss it.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Maybe I'm becoming a big ole' softy, but this story definitely got me teary-eyed. I want the narrator to live! Thank you merciful ambiguity.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

chemistryguy

Postby chemistryguy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Loved this one. A heartbreaking tragedy about the end of the world where the end of the world is not the tragedy. It was kept just light enough with the biting sarcasm/observations of the girl.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Postby Varda » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:43 pm

What a sad, heartbreaking little story. I'm really glad the kid was the POV character, or it would have been even more unbearably sad.

And congrats to MonsieurMoustache for the excellent drabble. One of my favorites of yours, and perhaps one of my favorites to run on the show this year.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

James the 500

Postby James the 500 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:02 am

What an amazing story! I love stories in which the world unfolds through the narrators limited point of view.

Does anyone know what the closing music was? I see it working for a project of mine. Shazam didn't know & the credits don't say.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:20 am

The music was maybe Gringo Motel?

Good story. I hate the pathos often used in this type of story, the author did a good job of avoiding it.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

cinnamon

Postby cinnamon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:31 pm

tbaker2500 wrote: Good story. I hate the pathos often used in this type of story, the author did a good job of avoiding it.

Right? It made me a bit melancholy, but it didn't feel like it was TRYING to make me feel that way. Just a kid saying things like they are, like kids do, and what she was saying happened to be kind of sad.
Mush, Baby!

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”