Drabblecast 297 – The Apothecary’s Apprentice

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 297 – The Apothecary’s Apprentice

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:32 am

Feature: The Apothecary’s Apprentice by Craig Lincoln
Drabble: The Necromancer's Apprentice by Arun Jiwa
Genres: Fantasy

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013
In the back of the shop I scrubbed three large cauldrons clean, stripping the seasoning from them because Master Aloz insisted on it once the trade caravans stopped coming at the end of summer. Tallow, he called me, on account of my paleness. I used a brush made of iron bristles instead of horse hair, scraping away the brown muck inside, various plant and animal parts rendered into sludge like droppings from a sick bull. My book lay on the floor beside the cauldrons. Sir Tannis and the Hydra. It seemed I wouldn’t get to read much of it today…

Episode Art: Sean Azzopardi
Read by: Dave Thompsoni

Twabble: “ Spiked punch, a trashed gymnasium and his mother passed out in a chair.
Oedipus began to regret his choice in prom dates. ” by BagaBones

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Drabblecast 297 – The Apothecary’s Apprentice

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:05 am

Nice! Great first paid published story!
I liked that take on the Apothecary, lightweight and more real than some. Good work!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Re: Drabblecast 297 – The Apothecary’s Apprentice

Post by Varda » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:36 am

So, I dozed off on the bus the other day, and I had this awesome dream where Norm and Dave Thompson were on the same podcast, like some kind of kickass voice work superhero duo that could only happen in my wildest fangirl dreams...

Oh, wait, that actually happened! On my iPod! :shock: :D :mrgreen:

Great episode. I felt like we were ready for a fun palette cleanser after a few really dark stories in a row, and ahead of whatever horrors await us going into October/Halloween. I especially enjoyed the meta-fantasy aspects of the story: how the Apothecary's resigned to this or that Chosen One riding through to defeat various Dark Lords (who want to teach CHILDREN TO READ!), and has found a way to monetize these delusional Mary Sues. The future-seeing monk's prophecy at the end also surprised me. Pitch-perfect, cute, and funny. I was wondering how the girl would eventually come into play.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)