Drabblecast 299 – The Revelation of Morgan Stern

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 299 – The Revelation of Morgan Stern

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:02 am

Feature: The Revelation of Morgan Stern by Christie Yant
Drabble: Dear John by Rachael K. Jones.
Genres: Drama Horror Romance

Friday, October 11th, 2013
It is July 31, your birthday, and I can’t reach you. I’ve been trying all day, but the cell networks are down, the internet is down. I even tried a pay phone–there are two left in town that I know of, and I collected all of my change and walked to the 76 in the village. It was on fire. I watched it for a while from a distance as it painted a brown, toxic streak across the sky. It was a long walk back to the house, or what’s left of it. My feet hurt, and it was too quiet.

Jerel Dye on Tumblr
Episode Art: Jerel Dye

Twabble: “ The tortured screams of the people dying in agony are muffled by thumping Swedish disco music, here in my ABBA-ttoir... ” by Chris Munroe

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Re: Drabblecast 299 – The Revelation of Morgan Stern

Postby Varda » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:02 pm

Outstanding episode. Will definitely be joining "Hollow As the World" on my mental list of People's Choice contenders.

This was one of those rare stories that I loved the first time I heard it, and then after hearing the ending and outtro, listened to it a second time just to enjoy it even more on a new level. It's really, really hard to pull off a twist that works that well, and actually makes the story even more compelling when you revisit it.

Specifically, it was the characters that really got me, and the journal format. Intimate, warm, and moving. It left me thinking about the nature of love, and how you can stand up under the worst circumstances if there's someone to share the burden with you.

“If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.” --Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

strawman

Postby strawman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:00 am

Kudos for a particularly outstanding narration. An interior monologue that sounded very genuine. Good story too. Can't wait for the Banshees!
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Beth Peters

Postby Beth Peters » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:31 am

So last week's story made me laugh out loud in public and this week's story made me cry in public. I guess the lesson here is to be mindful of where you decide to listen to the Drabblecast? :)
This was such a beautiful story, the reveal was slow and the ending unexpected and somehow both touching and creepy. Very haunting imagery of the "angels" grouped together in herds at night, just standing there watching him. I wonder if anyone else the narrator loved is alive in this world. And I agree with strawman, the music and narration really just made this experience a memorable one for me.
Also, great Drabble and wow really good artwork this week! The shark/whale creatures are an interesting touch by the artist.
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:20 pm

Beth Peters wrote:Also, great Drabble and wow really good artwork this week! The shark/whale creatures are an interesting touch by the artist.

Jerel Dye is a rock star
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

HORF

Postby HORF » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:22 pm

This is the story that made me get off my ass and register on the drabblecast forums. I needed to shout something at someone in ALL CAPS ABOUT HOW FANTASTAMAZING THIS STORY IS!!
I connected with this one so thoroughly that every word broke my heart a little until the reveal at which point I shouted in celebration out my car window at some confused bystanders.

As long as I'm posting for the first time, I'd like to state that the drabblecast has slowed my descent into madness considerably since I discovered it. or maybe its hastened it, I'm still not really sure. I do know that The Drabblecast has made the pizza delivery business not only tolerable, but actually enjoyable!

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:22 am

Glad you liked the story, HORF. Welcome aboard!

Alas, I now keep picturing a pizza with anchovies and squid.

bounceswoosh

Postby bounceswoosh » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:03 pm

I liked this a lot!

I did get distracted by one thing: "Morgen Stern" means "morning star" in German, so I kept wondering if that would figure in. I don't think it did, though.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:28 pm

Damn you Damn you Damn you Damn you Drabblecast. Second night this week I've listened to an episode in bed, and THEN COULDN'T GET TO SLEEP!!!

I've gotten very tired of apocalypse stories. They are just such a drag to listen to. The horror, the imagination is gone for me.

This story pretended to be an apocalypse story. It instead developed into a truly fantastic, gripping story. The dialogue was so incredibly natural, the reveal so very slow paced and welcome. Perfect short story fare, leaving you imagining everything that this new world is and will be.

The intro and outro implied that Christie Yant is not an extremely experienced author. If that is the case, wow. This was a masterful work.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Richmazzer

Postby Richmazzer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:00 pm

That was a great story! Terrifying and romantic somehow at the same time. And I agree the delivery and presentation was very natural and added to the experience. Killer artwork.

El Barto

Postby El Barto » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:38 pm

Loved the music, sound effects, and especially the story. Another great episode.

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”