Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3594
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:27 pm

I have no inside information regarding this specific story, but it wouldn't surprise me that he couldn't secure text rights, or it cost too much. Otherwise, there are no plans to stop this!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
Cymraeg
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:16 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby Cymraeg » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Loved this story. Great choice for the 300th episode. I especially liked the way we were slowly drawn into both the horror and the complexity of the characters. Really impressive in a short story.

User avatar
normsherman
Site Admin
Posts: 1355
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby normsherman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:41 pm

sandrilde wrote: it was good stuff, but on some level I'd prefer more than acceptance of reality as the climax. I'd like to see change or some members of either species considering different ways to co-exist.

I feel like she presented impregnation and pregnancy both as things forced on the main character (in some sense, through heavy emotional manipulation if nothing else) and in the end, he just accepted that. I'd have a lot more fun with it if he found a way to fight, no matter how bad the situation - and if it were pure horror, he'd probably lose in a gruesome way.


Good points, and I can't help but agree with you because I would also love to have seen what would've happened in that horrific scenario. :twisted:

But I think she chose a different route in this story and pushing the conclusion that you mentioned wouldn't have worked in this context. It's like a dysfunctional relationship you can't really get out of because you share a home lease and all the same best friends and also a role in their unique and horrific biologic function (?). And also, you still love them underneath it all, and you realize it-- even resent them for it because despite the dysfunction and outright horror, you can't get around the fact that you still want to be with them and can't see yourself existing without them. I think the dialogue about T'gatoi offering to go to Gan's sister at the end reveals some of these feelings.
Nobody is saying these these feelings aren't ridiculous (it recalls spousal abuse situations... 'I just fell down the stairs officer, really!') but humans have lost (or 'shared', depending on how you look at it) something important in this world, and the acceptance they choose doesn't make sense to people like us who have a loving spouse to go home to at night(or cat in my case).
sandrilde wrote:Also missed all the crude and inappropriate Halloween puns at the beginning ---- don't get too sophisticated, Drabblecast! Remember your roots in really embarrassingly awful poop stories!


I had a diff host spot prepared that I scrapped, it just didn't feel right for a 300th episode that was opening for Octavia Butler. Next Halloween crypt-keeper norm will have twice the awful puns just to make up for it. ;)
"Give us all some Jelly"

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby strawman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:49 pm

normsherman wrote: It's like a dysfunctional relationship you can't really get out of because you share a home lease and all the same best friends and also a role in their unique and horrific biologic function (?). And also, you still love them underneath it all, and you realize it-- even resent them for it because despite the dysfunction and outright horror, you can't get around the fact that you still want to be with them and can't see yourself existing without them. I think the dialogue about T'gatoi offering to go to Gan's sister at the end reveals some of these feelings.
Nobody is saying these these feelings aren't ridiculous (it recalls spousal abuse situations... 'I just fell down the stairs officer, really!') but humans have lost (or 'shared', depending on how you look at it) something important in this world, and the acceptance they choose doesn't make sense to people like us who have a loving spouse to go home to at night(or cat in my case it.

Words of painful experience from one who has learned about spouse abuse and dysfunction from a cat.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3594
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby tbaker2500 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:06 pm

Hey, cats can be real bastards sometimes! Who else gets you a dead mouse and calls it a gift?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby strawman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:16 pm

Well, I only did it that once.
But it was because my wife loves our cat.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

User avatar
Spindaddy
Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:12 am
Location: Frickin' Jersey
Contact:

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby Spindaddy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:Ditto. I also thought the main guy (His name was Gan, BTW), was a girl. And two of the female voices sounded a bit muddy to me.

I first suspected he might be male when Gan's brother (Qui) said, "They don't take women."

This is what happens when you don't use decent American names, like "Frank", "Mary", "Shlomo", etc., people! :evil:


Yeah, when the brother said "They don't take women." I was thinking... so why is this girl getting all upset? She's gets the crack eggs b/c shes the favorite girl. Then I was all.... Ohhhh, she's actually a boy and not a girl. Either way, it makes sense to me. While I understand the story has more of a punch with the main character as a male, I think the idea of harvesting humans is gut churningly nasty (but awesome!). It also made sense there were no male insects as in the 'normal world' the males of most insect species are just sperm containers and after sex snacks.

The dysfunctional relationship I also enjoyed. (Wait, can I say those words? Why does it feel good to say them? Does that mean I'm healing?) Rather than a relationship between lovers, I saw this as a sort of master-slave (Asshole boss) sort of relationship. "Bill, I need you takes these boxes to accounting. Oh, and remember to drop by for dinner tonight. The wife made a lovely pot roast. Afterwords she's going to lay her eggs in you, so make sure you eat up!" I've seen people at the office talk about interns and their 'new people' like they were subhuman show ponies. It's disturbing really.
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.

User avatar
normsherman
Site Admin
Posts: 1355
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 am

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby normsherman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:48 am

Interesting that so many of you thought the MC was a female. Would have thought that being read by a male (me!) would have snuffed out any doubt.
"Give us all some Jelly"

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3594
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby tbaker2500 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:56 am

You play women so naturally, Norm. :shock:
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender
Posts: 1383
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:41 pm
Location: Athens, Georgia
Contact:

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby Varda » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:37 am

Ever since "Jelly Park", I've learned it's best not to assume gender when Norm's narrating. :P
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3499
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:50 am

tbaker2500 wrote:You play women so naturally, Norm. :shock:

Hate the game, man, not the narate-ah.

User avatar
Spindaddy
Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:12 am
Location: Frickin' Jersey
Contact:

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby Spindaddy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:15 pm

normsherman wrote:Interesting that so many of you thought the MC was a female. Would have thought that being read by a male (me!) would have snuffed out any doubt.


I'm not saying I think of you as a woman Norm--cause hey, that's kind of creepy. I'm just saying that my suspension of disbelief is such that I could believe you were a woman.

The entire time I was listening to it, it bugged me a bit. "Why is Norm reading a chick's part? This is weird, but I kind of dig it. Wait, does that make me weird? Is that why he calls me a weirdo at the end of each Podcast? No, no, he's talking to the others... we're fine. I mean I. Me! I mean ME! I'm fine!

Wait, what the hell was I talking about? Oh yeah, the story. I liked it. :)
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby strawman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:40 pm

He read a woman's part in Jelly Park, too. Unfortunately, due to limitations of the media, we don't get to see the outfit and makeup that goes with it.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3594
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby tbaker2500 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:09 pm

:D :D
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Richmazzer
Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:26 pm

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby Richmazzer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:02 pm

congrats to my favorite podcast on their 300th episode! And just in time for Haloween. Great full cast story to celebrate.

El Barto
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby El Barto » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:57 am

Mmmmm, mmmm, good! That was such a great episode and I also loved reading everyone's deep thoughts in the forum here.

I was interested to see that anyone was confused about the gender of the character Norm was reading because it was a "full cast" reading and those always seem to have same-gender readers for each role.

As for the story itself, I was really expecting the alien to smack the gun out of his hands with her whip tail and then impregnate/rape him and cage him. But that may be because I'm watching a bunch of Walking Dead episodes lately.

sandrilde
Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:45 pm

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby sandrilde » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:36 pm

I had a diff host spot prepared that I scrapped, it just didn't feel right for a 300th episode that was opening for Octavia Butler. Next Halloween crypt-keeper norm will have twice the awful puns just to make up for it.


Already excited for this :-)

User avatar
PB&Jellyphish320
Member
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby PB&Jellyphish320 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:52 pm

You guys have saved my life! I've been listing to the Drabblecast for about six months now trying to play catch up. At work my soul-sucking manager and her minions listen to the same pop music on repeat over the work radio all day long. The whole time I worked with them I was imagining all the ways I could destroy this place and never look back.

Usually I closed the store alone. So I began sneaking in my mp3 player, and antique Zune, and listening to these strange stories for an hour or so before I allowed to leave. The Drabblecast helped me to realize that knocking the heads off my pretentious customers might release the den of spiders fillings out their flesh; that telling off my manager might cause the serpentine beast that animates her to come out and eat me alive. And that blowing up the store itself would only cause the shadows of evil that infest it to follow me to my next job and breed more paranoia and hatred there.

Then I got to this story - to this particular author. It stuck with me. I know now that I'm not alone in my day-mares. And that perhaps I should put these dark thoughts to better use.

Thanks guys. Thanks just for . . . existing.
~ What's that in the mirror, or the corner of your eyes. What's those footsteps following but never passing by . . .

~ The Doctor

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3499
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:06 pm

PB&Jellyphish320 wrote:Thanks guys. Thanks just for . . . existing.

Or do we? :shock:

Glad the Drabblecast was able to move you. (The Drabblecast, keeping citizens alive and productive for the Great Old One(s) since 2014!)

Welcome aboard, PB&Jellyphish320!

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3594
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Re: Drabblecast 300 – Bloodchild

Postby tbaker2500 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:01 am

It's nice to find a brood of fellow weirdos, innit?
Welcome, tasty one.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.


Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron