Drabblecast 303, 304 – Hero, The Movie

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 303, 304 – Hero, The Movie

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:05 am

Episode 303 - Hero, The Movie pt. 1

Feature: Hero, The Movie pt. 1 by Bruce McAllister
Drabble: When the Mighty Fall, Give Us a Call by Derek Manuel
Genres: Action Sci-Fi

Monday, November 18th, 2013
This romantic comedy begins where all low-budget ’50s creature-features ended: The mutant insects born of atom-bomb radiation (or invaders from space, or monsters from the sea, or fifty-foot women) have at last been defeated and our small-town hero, with girlfriend Janie or June or Betty at his side, must now face the rest of his life. Didn’t we wonder what his life would be like after the final credits rolled? After you save the world, what’s left? You can marry the Professor’s daughter, sure. You can sell the rights to your story. Be on national talk shows. Hold onto fame a little longer. But then what?

Reference: The Village Sang to the Sea and The Girl Who Loved Animals: And Other Stories
Episode Art: Joe Botsch

Twabble: “ Jenifer never brushes her hair
Which is why I now live there
Since my roots reached her brain
Jen's not been quite the same ” by MonsierMoustache

Episode 304 - Hero, The Movie pt. 2

Feature: Hero, The Movie pt. 2 by Bruce McAllister
No drabble for this episode.
Genres: Action Sci-Fi

Saturday, November 23rd, 2013
Rick takes the money the Mayor of Corkscrew has wired him and flies to Florida, feeling his oats, full of hope. He’s met at the airport by one of Mayor Delameter’s staff and driven to his hotel, the old but clean and dry Swamp Hotel in downtown Corkscrew. The next morning he’s out at the edge of town where Main Street runs along the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary and he’s surveying the marching battalions of Gecarcoidea natalis—little, red, forest-dwelling crabs about the size of your palm that are migrating, as they do each year—though not usually in such numbers—through the town, back to the swamp to breed . . . and taking their sweet time doing it. .

Buy this: The Village Sang to the Sea
and this: The Girl Who Loved Animals: And Other Stories
Episode Art: Joe Botsch

Twabble: “ Finally I asked ”So what do the crop circles mean?“ The alien smiled ”Well you know how humans draw penises everywhere?" ” by Spindaddy

Richmazzer

Re: Drabblecast 303 – Hero, The Movie pt. 1

Postby Richmazzer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:56 am

jeeebus what a production. One of the best, maybe the best, I can remember this year. There's not really a word or 'genre' for the kind of thing that Drabblecast often does here is there? I listen to a lot of radio shows and pretty much every fiction podcast out there and there's just nothing even close to the epic nature of how DC sometimes presents a story. The story is central yes, but it becomes much more than just a story when there is so much mood and energy added through the music and ambiance. A great story (like this one) is able to find a way to dig even deeper into your heart and memory.

yes, I'm really looking forward to hearing part 2 of this. I hope things start looking up for Rick because right now I don't see how it could be much worse! The author's sense of humor and style is great and it really strikes a chord with me, although I think some of this story could have been edited down a bit (especially considering we aren't even done yet!) Although I'll admit to being engaged so far throughout the entire thing without my interest waning as of yet, so maybe I'm just not used to novella length stories in audio.

gunsofchekhovia

Postby gunsofchekhovia » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:15 am

You're gettin' the hang of this podcasting thing, Norm.

Dear God this story is terrific (so far). The production was also masterful, but the story! I can't wait for next week's episode.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Postby Varda » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:38 pm

Holy crap, this episode was amazing. I can't wait for part 2. Production-wise and style-wise, it reminded me of "The Golden Age of Fire Escapes", which is in my list of favorite episodes (and by the way, it's really hard to make a Top 10 20 40 list when you keep putting out amazing episodes, Norm. Tone it down, will ya! :P

And B-sides is getting an interview soon?? YES!

Also, Guns, GREAT drabble on this episode. So frikkin' clever. I loved how the Drabble Poetry Corner made a comeback this episode all around, closing with Monsieur's twabble. You Drabble/Twabble Poets terrify me, for the record. I think you might not be entirely human.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

strawman

Postby strawman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:56 pm

I agree with Varda, and one of my all-time favorite drabbles also.

My, how times have changed. The very thing that made you a hero 60 years ago now makes you a bum. Because these days, monsters have RIGHTS! Giant sharks are only doing what comes natural with their beautiful natural ferocity. Our dismembered limbs and torsoes are intruders in their world. Stop swimming so much like a seal, you surfer jerks! Hypocrite humans make a big deal out of Bashar al Assad gassing people, but think nothing at all about what they euphemistically call "mosquito control". As if there were a difference.

One wonders how our hero can ever be rehabilitated in Part II. Will he become a radical Antivivisectionist? Save the polio virus from extinction? Transform into a Gyro? McAllister has his work cut out for him, that's for certain.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

strawman

Re: Drabblecast 304 – Hero, The Movie pt. 2

Postby strawman » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:16 am

I think Norm is right about this being the gen x paradigm shift on the 50's formula. I loved the story too. Very intelligent and produced lovingly. Also gotta say I really like the reading along feature. It is great for my adhd. I had no idea what was coming, and gotta hand it to Mr. McAllister for a great resolution.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

shecky

Re: Drabblecast 304 – Hero, The Movie pt. 2

Postby shecky » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:13 am

Being a long time listener to the podcast. This story compelled me to join the forum and post. Foremost I quite enjoyed the story and do like massive epic multi part podcasts. Keep up the good work.

Moderator's note: The rest of this post can be found at "Introducing Connor Choadsworth's competition?".
Last edited by Algernon Sydney is Dead on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This started too much off-topic-ness. Moved the parts that were not about 303 and 304 to its own thread.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Re: Drabblecast 303, 304 – Hero, The Movie

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:38 am

303 is an outstanding episode! (I'm sure 304 is too, but I'll hear that in the next 24 or so.)
Loved everything about it, from the Drabble -- a (¡Rhyming!) tour de force that hit one out of the park with it's "Casey" epilogue.

To, the awesome story that had all the right skewers and tropes, to the clever rhyming twabble. The audio, narration and score really sold it all.

I wish I was able to take notes when listening (my hands were too busy holding my cocktail and flipping off other drivers), I feel this praise isn't doing the episode justice.

It's a shame that our modern society neglects or tears down the true heroes nowadays while over-hyping the worst sex-tape or reality-TV offenders.

In a happy coincidence, right after this episode, my iPod served up this little gem:

-- music that I think fit the episode brilliantly. The introduction is reminiscent of the Theremin scores that often accompanied 1950's B-movies. The bridge strongly alludes to insect flight.

Spindaddy

Postby Spindaddy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:23 am

This was an awesome pair of episodes. I just got back from vacation and just listened to these gems on my morning commute. The story was fantastic and I loved how the story went back and forth between disaster and fame with all the asshattery of the modern world mixed in with the ridiculousness of yesteryear. I was fairly certain the movie theater scene was going to involve zippers and more stickiness on the floor. Part 2 also threw me for a loop as I expected things to spiral horribly out of control instead of having a pleasant ending.

Excellent! I loved it!
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.

gunsofchekhovia

Postby gunsofchekhovia » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:04 pm

So much win in this story. The twist ending was pretty much the most ridiculous thing it could possibly have been, and I still loved every word of it.

I agree with Norm's take on it, about trying to find meaning for your own life outside the parameters set by previous generations. Seems to me there's another element to that, too: for most of the story, Rick was trapped in outmoded ideas about the relationships between humans and other species, programmed to think of the others only as (hopefully) the greatest enemy mankind has ever faced. At the end, when it turns out
Spoiler:
he's in love with an alien,
it seems to me to parallel changing attitudes about race, particularly in small towns (and particularly in the South) where a lot of people are still "stuck in the '50s." This is another way in which people of different generations are learning to understand each other less every day.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Postby StalinSays » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:55 am

File this under Drabblecasts that got me teared up. Very layered, very pretty. Top notch story and, as always, bar raising production.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:04 am

Finally listened.
Norman, you did an incredible job with scoring this one. I don't remember exactly what line it was in part 1, but there was a scene change. You held out the previous music, even tho the scene changed, for several seconds, then moved into a new piece. Well, that was masterful. The music matched the emotion; it took me that exact length of time to switch emotions, perfectly in time with the score.

One part of me dislikes this story. The production, and the story itself, sucked me in and didn't let go. That leaves me defenseless for the bad juice headed his way. Stoopid. :-)

The story could've been edited down a little more; the first half of the story took up 7/8 of the time. But that's the only criticism I have. Fantastic writing, coupled with the B-sides episode, this guy has some talent.

Drabble was knocked out of the park.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”