Drabblecast 047 - The Silver Ring

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics

Have you ever been attacked by a giant water bug?

Yes
21%
No
79%

Total votes: 19

Mr. Tweedy

Drabblecast 047 - The Silver Ring

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:32 pm

Feature The Silver Ring by Joanne Hall

Dell slid the blade through the slippery silver of the fish's belly, ripping out pink intestines with clumsy fingers. As he worked, his hand fell on something unexpected, something that had no place in the innards of a dead fish...

Art by Bo Kaier

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:21 am

I really liked this story. It was a strait-up old-school fairy tale, which is something you almost never see nowadays. An innocent hero is the victim of horrible circumstance but escapes his plight through a miraculous and unexpected means. It even had the Grimm too-horrible-for-Disney elements that make the original versions of things like Sleeping Beauty too nasty for our sheltered 21st century children.

Dig it.

I have never been attacked by a giant water bug, but now that I know about them, the world seems just a little bit creepier and crawlier.
Advertise in this space!

Philippa

Post by Philippa » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:43 pm

I'm glad the story had a "happy" ending... :? The simplicity of the plot can be forgiven due to the very fairytale feel of it, a lovely flowing nostalgic style. I pictured it in the characteristic pen and ink illustrations from my childhood fairy tale books.

deflective

Post by deflective » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:19 am

released recently, the nasty five.
my bet's on the giant hornet in a grand melee.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:18 am

AWESOME! thanks deflective.

The bullet ant "shrieks" at you before falling from a tree and stinging the hell out of you....
"Give us all some Jelly"

GirlNoir

Post by GirlNoir » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:04 am

Much win, deflective. I approve. :-)

This story was perhaps too cliched for my tastes. It was really well done, a very visceral story. You really empathized with poor Dell. But for whatever reason, the fairy-tale plot turned me off to it. Just a personal preference thing, I guess.

bolddeceiver

Coincidence?

Post by bolddeceiver » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:14 pm

I'm a relatively new listener (I heard Stephen Eley plug the cast one time too many and had to check it out). This story had me reeling in serendipity.

There's a pretty obscure local Seattle art-rock band called "Awesome" (those aren't emphasis quotes, they're part of the band's name). At the risk of sounding like a shill, I would highly recommend you all check them out, download the free mp3s on the site, and buy their albums -- they will change your life. But I digress.

This story kept making little coincidental connections to their work -- nothing quite enough to make me sure there's an actual reference going on either way, just enough to give me an eerie feeling. Some of it was small -- the line "words tumbling from his mouth" is very similar to a line in a song on their latest album, for example -- some was much more integral to the story -- "A's" first album, Delaware (adapted from a theatrical show they did by the same name), is largely about a person named Del who turns into a fish, though it's left to the listener whether the transformation is literal or figurative. Delaware is available on iTunes if you want to check out the connection yourself.

::EDIT::
normsherman wrote:AWESOME! thanks deflective.
OMG, conspiracy!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:18 am

Awesome! Glad to have you around bolddeciever- I always like reading your comments in EP forums.

Although reading your handle reminds me of a particular drinking tune that my traditional Irish band has to play pretty much every weekend. :-)

Bout to check out "Awesome!"
"Give us all some Jelly"

DKT

Post by DKT » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:53 pm

That was a pretty good story, but it was a GREAT introduction. "This bitch can fly!" had me spilling coffee all over myself and made me wonder if Norm was related to Bill Paxton's character in Aliens. Good stuff all around.

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:29 am

DKT wrote:"This bitch can fly!" had me spilling coffee all over myself and made me wonder if Norm was related to Bill Paxton's character in Aliens.
I cracked up a bit myself, visibly disturbing the senior citizens who use the circuit room the hour of the morning I usually work out.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:05 am

DKT wrote:[...] made me wonder if Norm was related to Bill Paxton's character in Aliens.
I think it's quite likely that Norm's family includes at least a few fictional characters...
Advertise in this space!

DKT

Post by DKT » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:29 am

bolddeceiver wrote:
DKT wrote:"This bitch can fly!" had me spilling coffee all over myself and made me wonder if Norm was related to Bill Paxton's character in Aliens.
I cracked up a bit myself, visibly disturbing the senior citizens who use the circuit room the hour of the morning I usually work out.
Warning: It is not recommended to listen to the Drabblecast while lifting free weights. Listening to the Drabblecast while lifting free weights can damage your own person, and possibly the person spotting you.

jalan1

Post by jalan1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:14 am

Just catching up on Drabblecasts. I really thought this was a great story, very simple and elegantly written. I wish we had more fairy tales being told these days in short fiction.

Chuckbucket

Post by Chuckbucket » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:58 am

I enjoyed the story, it was simple, predictable, and good. I haven't heard a drabblecast that I didn't like.

my answer to the pole: YES!

It was a dark and stormy night, I was playing skiball and minding my own business at the pub down town. Then a giant water bug walked up to me and said, "I'm a giant water bug, wwuuggghhhh!!" it sounded like it's nose was clogged. It hit me in the face and walked off... True Story, The Chuckbucket only lies on Tuesdays.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:25 am

Sir, giant water bugs are no joking matter. As our scientific research shows, nearly ONE FOURTH of all people on earth have attacked by these menaces, and many of them have come away with horrible maimings (real or imagined). Please, a little respect for their suffering.
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:44 am

Oh man, those last two posts definitely eeked out a hearty LOL after a long day- much appreciated!
"Give us all some Jelly"

Chuckbucket

Post by Chuckbucket » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:40 pm

the poll says two other people were attacked by giant water bugs. where are their stories? /scoff

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Their stories are too painful to recount...

But we should hear them recounted anyway. Yes, you other victims! Where are your stories?
Advertise in this space!

sandrilde

Re: Drabblecast 047 - The Silver Ring

Post by sandrilde » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:40 pm

Pretty solid. Now I'm scared of water bugs.