Drabblecast 121- Trifecta VIII

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:05 pm

Paranormal Kansas: Cretaceous Ghosts
by Jeremiah Tolbert

Aqua Vita
by Stephanie Campisi

Jake and the Carpet Sharks
by Michelle Howarth

Special music performed for Drabblecast on harp by Monika Vasey (Victory at Sea by Richard Rogers)

Coolest art ever- Dan Varner, Oceans of Kansas
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:00 pm

Story 1- Nice
Story 2- Huh? Gunna hafta listen to that again.
Story 3- Great representation of a child's brain. Very nice.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:04 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Story 1- Nice
Story 2- Huh? Gunna hafta listen to that again.
Story 3- Great representation of a child's brain. Very nice.
QFT
Advertise in this space!

treeman

Post by treeman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:37 pm

That was cool!
The first was great. No frills, just ghost dinosaurs (what more do you need). Great campfire storytelling by Norm. Felt like I was there, camping on the plains, with the crackling of the fire.

Second was also great. Some great use of language, ocean metaphors. It was almost more of a poem than a story, but I interpreted it to be about how children, particularly those born with special needs or abnormalities, can change the structures around them, rather than vice versa. The child is born in a fishbowl and the family chooses to isolate itself, making their home and world into a giant fishbowl, rather than acclimating the child. Cool music too.

Third was my favorite. Calvin and Hobbes is my favorite comic strip and this story nailed that vibe. Great reading too.

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:00 pm

It may just be the way my brain works (or doesn't work), but on the second story the music competed with the story for my attention, and it was hard for me to follow. If the story had been poetry, and the narration more distinct, they might have supplemented one another. But having the entire piece set to music usually results in a... song, right?

Okay, so I listened twice more to #2 and still don't get it. Therefore it must be poetry, and so the music is okay, and the problem is that it should have been sung.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Talia

Post by Talia » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:52 am

I to confess I didn't "get" #2. Though the language was certainly lovely, and I adored all the sea analogies. Beautifully written and baffling. An elegantly dressed enigma.

#1 was spooky and fun. Who the hell thinks of sharks when they're in Kansas? the inventiveness was delightful. Love stories that invite me to step out from my normal frame of mind.

#3 was deliciously childlike and imaginative. A suggestion of what would happen should the normal childhood imagination run rampant, unchecked. Or was the scary fantasy world the reality? It's unclear, and that's half the fun of the tale :)

StalinSays
Beast-Master

I can dig it

Post by StalinSays » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:05 am

A pleasurable literary threesome, as per usual. I'm amongst the masses with story 2 zooming right over my head. Mur'baby comes home, makes family wistful? Story 1 though finally gives me a reason to visit the Bible Belt.

DougallStrange

trifecta

Post by DougallStrange » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:50 pm

I seem to be in the majority here the first story I liked, it was a good old fashioned Ghost story with the Drabblecast twist of the Ghosts being Cretaceous eating machines. The second I just didn't get it was a little hard to follow did the mother get impregnated by a fish what was going on? The third Story was by far my favorite the imagination in it was great and I remember having some of those problems although in my case it was the Giant spider that lived in my dresser.
Unnamable Cthuloid horrors, crumble rock, rusts scissors and inscribes paper with blasphemous secrets that cause your eyeballs to explode while your tongue catches fire from the unholy hymns your crazed mind forces you to scream out.

Beth Peters

Post by Beth Peters » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:31 pm

I still think mine is the worst, a giant bat under the ceiling fan every night. I loved the T-rex twist.
Cretaceous ghosts was a fun little story, really liked it.
#2 was weird, I think I got it. The baby is born a freak, with a glass bowl over her head, and the family ends up living in a fishbowl themselves trying to make her feel more comfortable and shelter her. I was expecting it to be revealed in the end that everyone was underwater from the begining. I liked the pretty harp background (very underwatery!).

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:05 am

I loved the first and third stories. The first being my favorite of the bunch. Cool imagery. The second one was just too weird for my feeble number crunching mind to grasp. Great show.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

calliopeo

Post by calliopeo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:07 am

You know the town the author mentions, Hays? The best place to look for ghost dinosaurs? That's where I grew up. And trust me, all the smartest people want to leave there before they die.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:25 am

calliopeo wrote:You know the town the author mentions, Hays? The best place to look for ghost dinosaurs? That's where I grew up. And trust me, all the smartest people want to leave there before they die.
I can understand that, for fear of being eaten by ghost dinosaurs obviously.

angagaur

Re: Drabblecast 121- Trifecta VIII

Post by angagaur » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:14 am

I just saw this commercial and immediately remembered this episode. I think it really captures the sense of lurking peril and encroaching terror that comes with carpet sharks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UURgWOML ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Drabblecast 121- Trifecta VIII

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:30 am

Hee hee, nice.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.