Ep. 309 – All the Young Kirks and Their Good Intentions

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Ep. 309 – All the Young Kirks and Their Good Intentions

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:25 pm

Feature: All the Young Kirks and Their Good Intentions by Helena Bell
Drabble: Supply by Myles McDonough
Genres: Sci-Fi Strange
Warning: Some explicit language

Sunday, January 12th, 2014
2249 A.D.

All the young Kirks in Riverside Public High School are assigned to the same Homeroom class. They sit together in the back corner on the far side from the door. They speak only to each other.

Episode Art: Jonathan Wilson
Read by: Zoe Kerr, Paul Huntington, Naomi Mercer, Bryan Lincoln

Twabble: “ Dear ancient roly poly king, Matured to stone and bone. You have outlived all the other things, and now you're all alone. ” by sigment

You're not Sci-fi!

Re: Ep. 309 – All the Young Kirks and Their Good Intentions

Post by You're not Sci-fi! » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:59 pm

First Post: Just discovered the Drabblecast last week, and love it. I hope a first post of this length is not a faux pas. But I love stories and discussing them.

Summary (so you know what page I am on and if my understanding of the story missed something): In a dystopian future (is there any other kind?) a community in Iowa is home to a group of teenagers all named James T. Kirk, because… they share a birthday. It was not clear to me if there was some planning with regard to the generation of the Kirks, but the community seemed to place a lot of faith and hope in the young Kirks. The perspective of the story jumps between that of an attractive and popular female Kirk named Jamie, a geeky and poorly respect Kirk named T. and his sister Red (also a Kirk). There is also some events that happen on a Lunar colony. In this story the lunar colony is supposed to provide a life style superior to life on earth. Thus a chance to live on the lunar colony, an offer to extended to just one Kirk from Iowa, is what all most of these young Kirks are hoping for. The arc of the story follows how the three main characters deal with the personas they have been dealt in high school and ends with a plague on the moon removing all hope for this generation of Kirks by the end of the story.

Thoughts: I was originally put off by the idea of high school drama or even satire in which you had a dozen James T. Kirks running around. If you were to suggest to me last week that it would be possible to shape another worth while narrative around a plot involving multiple Kirks, perhaps a remake of “Attack of the Clones” or some sort of William Shatner/Chris Pine driven time travel yarn, I would have checked you for hospital bracelets. But this story I think uses the archetype that the Kirk character embodied to examine many of the notions of identity and behavior as they are part of high school/adolescence. There is an identity being forced on these children that may or may not fit them, and thus produces feelings of inadequacy and frustration. Or perhaps in the case of the Captain it suppresses individual growth. Each of the main characters I think is accessible to the audience because they also embody archetypes that are common today in the conception of high school/adolescence. T. is an intelligent thoughtful kid, but also lacking self awareness. When it was revealed that his older sister works at the store from which he futilely tries to buy beer from every week I laughed out loud. T doesn’t realize that his low social position is based on the jealousy and the insecurity of his primary bully the Captain (this what all us geeks from high school would like to think). Jamie plays her cards as object of desire, but is not sure she wants them. Ultimately this pedestal she is placed on is unsatisfactory and when she is taken from it she finds herself dating Captain to try and regain it. An event that raises one up as a youth can be just as rough on one’s esteem and self image as event that pushes you down. The pressure of the desire to fulfill that promise can be just as hard as having little or no promise at all. Red is the High school martyr who is literally eaten alive by her dreams of getting out of this town. She dies (*cough* red shirt *cough*) never knowing what she meant to Jamie and never getting away from the Kirks. I think for all the flash and deliberate winking weridness about the Kirks the story had something smart to say about high school and growing up. The lunar colony is not necessary to this description of teen age maturation, but it put a destination in the story arc that allowed every other action the Kirks took to hang on to that. The fact the future was stolen by a plague, well all kinds of things steal futures.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:33 am

You're not Sci-fi! wrote:First Post: Just discovered the Drabblecast last week, and love it. I hope a first post of this length is not a faux pas. But I love stories and discussing them.
Welcome aboard, You're not Sci-fi!!

The length of the post is not necessarily a faux pas, but the lack of paragraph breaks is! It leads people to TLDR your message, as I have done for now. (I'll come back and read it in a few, when some other tasks are complete. Done.)

Your review summarizes a lot of the story (*Spoiler Alert*) :wink: and you conclude:
You're not Sci-fi! wrote:I think for all the flash and deliberate winking weirdness (spelling corrected) about the Kirks the story had something smart to say about high school and growing up.
Maybe. It's not clear to me what.
This was not one of my favorite stories, but maybe I was too tired to catch some nuance (doubt it, since the story seems to fit a trope I dislike).

You're not Sci-fi!

Post by You're not Sci-fi! » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:55 am

What is this trope and why do you dislike it?

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:12 am

Hey ASID, I'm also curious what the trope is that you don't like!

You're Not Sci-Fi: Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the thoughtful analysis of the episode. Believe it or not, I missed the Red=Red Shirt connection. I was actually so confused by her name that I went and read the text-story after listening to the episode to try and suss it out, then gave up and figured it was probably some obscure Kirk reference I wasn't Trekkie enough to grok.

Norm said not to overanalyze things, which I take as a challenge, rather than a warning, so here goes!

I liked the episode, but I also found it very sad for obvious reasons. I also noted the theme of outward identity/cloneliness vs. inward uniqueness, and the tension between the two, especially when it comes to teens, and all the complex and rather cruel interplay of teen social dynamics.

Then you've got the business of Fisher, the kid on the moon, fated to hang out there forever as everyone he knows dies off one by one. In the interest of overanalysis, I'm going to say that Fisher represents the way that the status quo seems to go on forever when you're a teen. There's the sense of immortality of course, but there's also the sense of existential angst, that life will never be anything better than it is right at that moment. When I look back on my teen years, I tend to see this as a mercy: not knowing just how much better the future was going to be, I had no idea how much my life sucked, and therefore bore up just fine.

But I think for some kids, such as Fisher, it's not merciful at all. No-one's explained to him why he's up there, so he's left to surmise what the deal is, and given no alternative he must assume this will be the pattern of the rest of his life. Of course, he's literally on the moon, but I think that's symbolic of teenage internal isolation and the sense that no one will ever really come through for you. It's a very deft way to describe depression in general, but especially the sort associated with all the intense feels of our awkward metamorphosis into adulthood.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:34 am

You're not Sci-fi! wrote:What is this trope and why do you dislike it?
Varda wrote:Hey ASID, I'm also curious what the trope is that you don't like!
It's too dystopian, full of bad moods, bad outcomes, and nonsense details that happen without logical consequences or consistency -- like mini, evil, "Caesar's Laptops".

It is almost the polar opposite of the original Trek series (except for the nonsense details).

"Trope" may have been too specific. "Genre" may be better as this was a mishmash of Pointless, Angst, absurdist and Dystopian tropes. It may have even been a "Crapsack World" seen from a few blinkered perspectives.

Suffice it to say, "Me no likie," and I've already spent WAY too much time exploring why.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:35 am

Good intentions my ass.

Shatner kicked my wife's dog.

(true story)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:37 am

ROU: details, please!! O_o
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:39 am

Shatner is not Kirk. Kirk would never have murdered his wife watched her drown under suspicious circumstances.

Anyway, spill with the dog-kicking story! (But perhaps in the "off topic" forum.)

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:51 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:Shatner is not Kirk. Kirk would never have murdered his wife watched her drown under suspicious circumstances.

Anyway, spill with the dog-kicking story! (But perhaps in the "off topic" forum.)
Pretty short, so I'll leave it here. My wife is from Kentucky and used to work at Rock Creek Stables where the big world-class saddle-bred shows are held. (He also tore a new one to a 5 year old girl who asked for his autograph. Turns out her dad was the very burly stable ferrier. He had a few choice words for the man.)

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:07 am

Gotta give him a shout out for not calling it "The Man in the Moon".
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:41 am

He was also the laughing stock of the employees when he had to be tied into his stirrups during showing, but now I'm just being snarky.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:56 am

K. That was a weird story.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Spindaddy

Post by Spindaddy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:16 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:K. That was a weird story.
I kind of 'Da fuq' d at that too, but I'm still on my first coffee.

This story was weird. I was listening to it at 530ish am when I was riding in. Around noon it hit me why Red died.
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.
Zombie Catfish.