Drabblecast 310 – The Ugly Chickens

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Sphinx

Re: Drabblecast 310 – The Ugly Chickens

Post by Sphinx » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:24 am

I, for one, loved this story. The prose flows very nicely, and I love the historical and pseudo-historical infodumps, in addition to having it from the point of view of an ornithologist. I'm a biology geek, and thus hugely biased, but it hit all the right buttons for me and I applaud the author for it.

tamarbucks

Re: Drabblecast 310 – The Ugly Chickens

Post by tamarbucks » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:34 am

Fantastic. There are some real gems in here - I should have marked it to double check, but I'm pretty sure the simile was "like a zen pork statue". Had a fantastically good laugh at the dance of the dodo set to Pachabel's Canon. The detailed descriptions of the dodo paintings were a hoot. I was delighted at the Faulkneresque four-hour recount of family history (including egg-sucking dogs) and its completeness by way of inclusion of someone named Beauregard. And the ending, maybe this is my Southern penchant for dark humor, was the perfect punch line. The closing comments on this episode were well crafted - clever as always - and in this case profound. Topped off with the witty song, this is my favorite yet. Thanks Drabblecast for sharing so much creativity and reminding me not to take myself too seriously, as time is a wastin' and one day I too will be extinct.