Drabblecast 122 - The Fallen & the Muse of the Street

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 122 - The Fallen & the Muse of the Street

Postby Kevin Anderson » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:01 pm

Drabblecast 122

The Fallen and the Muse of the Street
by Tim Pratt

Angels, fallen or otherwise, weren't known for their appreciation of human art...

Drabble- The Most Wonderful Dream
by Tim “ShoEboX” Crist

Music by the Dukes of Dixieland
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

Phenopath

Re: Drabblecast 122- The Fallen & the Muse of the Street - Pratt

Postby Phenopath » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:50 pm

This story won me over with the image of the swordfight between the mime and the angel. Brilliant, as was the outro.

Goldenrat

Postby Goldenrat » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:09 am

Wasn't sure what to think at first as I'm not in to the whole NO vibe but the story really won me over at the end. I'm glad I stuck with it. I was wondering what was up when the show appeared to be over and my IPod showed 3 minutes left. Nice wrap up.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

I like it

Postby StalinSays » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:24 am

I enjoyed this story, it had nice Sandman comics / Dogma vibe. Clever twist with the muse's powers at the end. Good show.

Deadguy

Postby Deadguy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:05 pm

Ah, home.

A fitting setting for a supernatural sword fight. I wonder what Ignatius would think of fallen angels and muses battling it out on the steps of St. Louis Cathedral.

Mr. Tweedy

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:21 pm

^^^

I suspect he would disapprove strongly.
Advertise in this space!

Praxis

Postby Praxis » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:37 pm

Although a link to the mp3 file shows on the "Mp3" page, the file in the mp3 podcast is a .mov

Have we not had enough of your "Mp3 is an inferior medium" propaganda and file-pushing, Norm?

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:23 pm

Not sure why but sometimes the mp3 gets converted automatically when I publish to that feed. I republished and it stuck fairly soon after I noticed it but alas, some folks had already downloaded it. The inferior "real deal" is up now, for those who refuse to assimilate.
"Give us all some Jelly"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:17 am

This DC episode makes my top five favorites. Wonderful story with a great magic-realistic tone. I love the way the muse defeated her opponents by inspiring them.

The other thing I have to say about this weeks Drabblecast is, WoW Norm, you really are starting to consistently upstage the main event event with those outro's of yours.

Brilliant, simply brilliant. An elegant counterpoint to the equally brilliant mutant sea-turtle bit.

Rock on, man.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:05 pm

Poor Norm, still single. Tell me, does that puppy-eyed pathetic schtick really work on women?

Well, you can tell Norm is back from camp by his intros and outros. Good stuff, funny.

I liked the story. There's a barrier of entry for mythological stories, but he handled it well.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:22 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Poor Norm, still single. Tell me, does that puppy-eyed pathetic schtick really work on women?

I dunno, I need to try a control group to validate that hypothesis. Since my eyes are naturally puppy-esque, I don't see us ever getting a firm conclusion on this.

tbaker2500 wrote:Well, you can tell Norm is back from camp by his intros and outros. Good stuff, funny.

Ah, done with first session-- only half done my friend. My fingers are awash with child spittle even as I type this.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Talia

Postby Talia » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:22 pm

Between assorted podcasts I've heard quite a few Tim Pratt stories to date, this is my favorite hands down. It's got a colorful, playful, perhaps slightly surreal feel to it that is just purely enjoyable.

And the ending was perfect. What sweet revenge indeed - they didn't even know what hit em. :)

I'm curious if that might eventually lead to their redemption. For surely thereafter they would never be the same..

LajesticVantrashellofLob

Postby LajesticVantrashellofLob » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:03 pm

I must say, this was highly amusing, and inspired me to write my own story with demons and deities loose in the USA in a similar vein. Shameless self-plug aside, holy crap this was wicked awesome (terrible pun intended)!
Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules. Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.

You're always the hero in your own story - life is about not being the villain in anyone else's.

devora

Postby devora » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:32 pm

I can well imagine how excited the guys were to read the first line of this great story. "All right!! We can finally use that cool vomit sound effect!!!"

Excellent reading, as always. The story was perfect and the music was used in just the right places to put us in the mood. I felt like I was a hard-bitten old woman drinking a hurricane on Bourbon Street. Then again, I often feel that way. Thank you Mr Pratt for remember us bitter old broads.

And as for Norm's being left on the shelf, hell, the guy has a stalker, how many can claim that joy? And puppy eyes and children's spittle will always bring in the quality: you go Norm, knock 'em dead.

Praxis

Postby Praxis » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:38 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:..... I love the way the muse defeated her opponents by inspiring them.

Hmm. Reminds me...........

......googles.......

Ah-hah:
http://www.theseanachai.com/2009/02/27/ ... d-writing/

Mr McLean would agree with you, there, on the whole inspiration-muse-possesion-daemon idea, I think.

internalogic

Postby internalogic » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:48 pm

That outro kicked toxic asset.

I listened to it a couple of weeks ago but I had to come back and say that.
O Lord, Protect us from Your followers!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re:

Postby ROU Killing Time » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:11 pm

Praxis wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:..... I love the way the muse defeated her opponents by inspiring them.

Hmm. Reminds me...........
......googles.......
Ah-hah:
http://www.theseanachai.com/2009/02/27/ ... d-writing/
Mr McLean would agree with you, there, on the whole inspiration-muse-possesion-daemon idea, I think.

I prefer his writing on The Seanachai over the "How To Succeed" novelization. I liked the episodic version of HTSIE though. I think Patrick is a pretty strong writer, but he does need some serious work with his plotting. The most vivid scenes in the world will be forgotten if they aren't all tied together in a meaningful fashion.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

myke_deschain

Postby myke_deschain » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:14 am

This story was alright but i might just be saying that for two reasons...

1. after reading "Good Omen" (neil gaiman and uh... Terry prachet?) I've had a hard time being wowed by a story that gives character-ship to biblical figures.. Though i suppose for short fiction they worked.
2. Norm's pipe-dream fantasy outro was so good I was checking my post-apocalypse survival kit to include a few copies of the Drabblecast on burnt cds to sell as holy runes..... I mean... you know... just in case...

strawman

Postby strawman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:54 pm

Myke,
I agree. I spliced the file so I could save the outro separately. The gradual ratcheting up from light-hearted banter to purple-adjectived ominosity was exquisite.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Alasdair5000

Postby Alasdair5000 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:41 pm

This was lovely, smartly told, intelligent and hopeful in a remarkably non pantheon specific way. The Dogma comparison made earlier is a very accurate one I think just with a happier ending for our hapless fallen angel sort-of heroes.

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”