Drabblecast 323 – Missed Connection

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 323 – Missed Connection

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon May 05, 2014 12:49 am

Feature: Missed Connection by Michael Marshall Smith
Drabble: The Silence by Dr. Dad
Genres: Horror

Sunday, May 4th, 2014
Lawson was already regretting the decision to go shopping by the time he was standing in line waiting to buy a ticket for the tube. All but one of the time- and labour-saving automatic ticket dispensers was either closed or unable to give change, and it was all he could do not to let out yelps of irritated despair at the inability of those in front of him to understand the process of getting the machine to yield up its wares. The station seemed to be unusually full of squalling children and jabbering mad people, and the flu which he’d thought in decline was thriving in the damp mildness of the winter afternoon. All in all he was beginning to feel like death cooled down, and he was barely on step one of the afternoon.

Episode Art: Richard K. Green
Read by: Dan Chambers
First appeared in The End of the Line anthology, 2011.

Twabble: “ At the end of the date they looked at her photos. “This is my favorite” she said. It was him, years ago. They were all of him. ” by inkhat

Zyzyx

Re: Drabblecast 323 – Missed Connection

Post by Zyzyx » Thu May 08, 2014 9:10 pm

As I am slightly dyslexic this story scares me, I will have to double check my left vs right just a little more carefully for a while.
I reserve the right to be wrong and use it frequently.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:19 am

Okay, in an effort to pick up discussion around here (seriously? 1 comment?), I'm going to start pointing out flaws I see in stories, not just praise the good parts.
Am I the only one who felt this way about the story? Did it hit you differently? Let's discuss it!

Wow. Anybody else get a strong Twilight Zone vibe from this one?
Well done. I have to admit I listened to this one in bed, fell asleep, and finished it the next day. So my comments might be colored a bit.
I felt like the premise was good, but so much of it was premised on information the protagonist had, which we didn't. Each new revelation mattered dearly to him, but not so much to me, because I didn't have a mental map of the city in my mind.
The ending... kinda fizzled.
Overall this story was good, but needed editing.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:42 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Am I the only one who felt this way about the story?
Let's discuss it!
Um, yes? You're all alone in your walled-off, M.C. Escher-esque world. :roll: :)
(Could be worse: An MC Hammer world)

Seriously, I didn't comment because I didn't like the story, and didn't want to relate all the reasons why. (Let others enjoy the story in peace.)

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:26 pm

I was not a fan of this story. it was very clear very early on that he had stumbled into some parallel dimension. The author really hit us over the head with the clues and it took a long time to listen to him blunder through each clue and rationalize it to himself. There wasn't much of a payoff either. Nor was their any explanation of how he wound up in that place at all. That said, the narrator was excellent.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:14 am

El Barto wrote:I was not a fan of this story. it was very clear very early on that he had stumbled into some parallel dimension. The author really hit us over the head with the clues and it took a long time to listen to him blunder through each clue and rationalize it to himself. There wasn't much of a payoff either. Nor was their any explanation of how he wound up in that place at all. That said, the narrator was excellent.
Interestingly, that's why I felt it had a twilight zone feel to it. A lot of those episodes suffered this same fate. (Not all, of course.)

I don't always mind stories which the protagonist doesn't get what's going on, but I did wish for a bigger payoff.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.