Drabblecast 325 – Jackalope Wives

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 325 – Jackalope Wives

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri May 23, 2014 7:48 am

Feature: Jackalope Wives by Ursula Vernon
Drabble: The Abyss Also Gazes by gunsofcheckovia
Genres: Fantasy

Thursday, May 22nd, 2014
The moon came up and the sun went down. The moonbeams went shattering down to the ground and the jackalope wives took off their skins and danced.

They danced like young deer pawing the ground, they danced like devils let out of hell for the evening. They swung their hips and pranced and drank their fill of cactus–fruit wine.

They were shy creatures, the jackalope wives, though there was nothing shy about the way they danced. You could go your whole life and see no more of them than the flash of a tail vanishing around the backside of a boulder. If you were lucky, you might catch a whole line of them outlined against the sky, on the top of a bluff, the shadow of horns rising off their brows.

Episode Art: Liz Pennies
Read by: Eleiece Krawiec
First appeared in Apex Magazine, 2014.

Twabble: “ At the hike's end we found seal skins scattered all over that beach. "Let's go," I said. "But first, let me take a Selkie." ” by JMiriah

bounceswoosh

Re: Drabblecast 325 – Jackalope Wives

Post by bounceswoosh » Mon May 26, 2014 10:51 pm

I loved this story, from tip to tail.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu May 29, 2014 3:30 am

Great story; great episode.

I've found that women tend to stick around if you give them fur coats, not flee. (Sadly, nowadays it's liable to be to throw paint as much as for any gratitude. :( ) But, it is true that they are more fun with their coats off.

Much to say about feminist messages and historical gender roles vis-à-vis marriage, ownership, and which sex "civilizes" which, but I'll leave that for others (for now).

gunsofchekhovia

Post by gunsofchekhovia » Thu May 29, 2014 3:32 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:
I've found that women tend to stick around if you give them fur coats, not flee.

Can't say I blame them. I wouldn't stick around after being given fleas either. Even a fur coat full of them.

Wait, what?

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu May 29, 2014 3:48 am

Hah. You've obviously never been around the average girl who's into cats. Most women like you more if you:
  • Give them fleas
  • Randomly scratch them
  • Turn-up your nose at the meal they slaved over
  • and occasionally pee in the attic.

bounceswoosh

Post by bounceswoosh » Thu May 29, 2014 12:41 pm

Cats are Pickup Artists?

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu May 29, 2014 1:22 pm

May be. But they are also Throw Up Artists.
It is insufficiently appreciated that women don't produce hairballs.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

danthelawyer

Post by danthelawyer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:04 pm

One of the best stories of the year, for sure. And narrated really well. Thanks!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:30 am

(Okay, in an effort to pick up discussion around here, I'm going to start pointing out flaws I see in stories, not just praise the good parts.
Am I the only one who felt this way about the story? Did it hit you differently? Let's discuss it!)

I agree, this story was a good one. It walked the line of parable, fairy tale, and sexual fetishism. However, the narration, while excellent, was too quickly paced for me. That being said, the story was a little too slowly paced for me. Kinda balanced out.

The premise that the jackalope wives are such creatures of sexual desire fell flat to me. Only mating with rabbits and antelopes, was it? Just didn't do it for me. Therefore, I suspect that the people living there are REALLY lonely. :-)

This definitely treaded heavily into gender roles. The half-transformed lady was extremely weak, and had no character of her own. The grandmother was powerful, but old and mean. So while the author left out the role of the powerful, likable woman, she also left out the role of powerful, likable men. I think that's a fair balance.

The snake was very well executed, I didn't get the "patterned ones" until he slithered away. And, as Norm said, who saw a happy ending coming out of this one?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Rhio2k

Post by Rhio2k » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:40 am

This one made me want to laugh at the end, and at the same time do something I haven't done since The Last Dog: cry. Cry in sorrow for what the old woman gave up willingly, and with happiness for what the Jackalope regained. This one cuts both ways. Manly tears, though. Always manly tears.

tibbi

Post by tibbi » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Loved the combination of two legends (Jackalopes and Selkies). The way the old woman resolved the tragedy was lovely. The reading really added to the story.
And thus ends my $.02. :)

bounceswoosh

Post by bounceswoosh » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:29 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
This definitely treaded heavily into gender roles. The half-transformed lady was extremely weak, and had no character of her own. The grandmother was powerful, but old and mean. So while the author left out the role of the powerful, likable woman, she also left out the role of powerful, likable men. I think that's a fair balance.
Man, I almost wish I hadn't read your comment! Now I can look at the story and say oh, yeah, I do see that.

But I disagree that the old woman was unlikable. I liked her! You can be gruff and still have people like you. At least, I hope so!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:40 am

bounceswoosh wrote:But I disagree that the old woman was unlikable. I liked her! You can be gruff and still have people like you. At least, I hope so!
Fair point. Terry Pratchett's Granny Weatherwax is a perfect example! One of his best characters.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Spindaddy

Post by Spindaddy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:17 pm

bounceswoosh wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:
Man, I almost wish I hadn't read your comment! Now I can look at the story and say oh, yeah, I do see that.

But I disagree that the old woman was unlikable. I liked her! You can be gruff and still have people like you. At least, I hope so!
I have to throw in here with disagreeing that the old woman was unlikable. I felt that she was quite a strong character and while I wasn't too surprised to find out she was a jackalope wife (I felt the journey heavily telegraphed this) I was thoroughly entertained by the event. Also, I have a softspot in my heart for the romantic old people part. It was nice to see the old man had hung onto her skin didn't try to force or conjole the old woman into returning to their people. He was a great character too.

The only thing that bothered me about this is story is how wishy washy and worthless all of the young people were portrayed.
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.
Zombie Catfish.