Drabblecast 326 – The Last Tiger

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 326 – The Last Tiger

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:01 pm

Feature: The Last Tiger by Tracie McBride
Drabble: The Gift That Keeps On Giving by Eric Marsh
Genres: Fantasy

Monday, June 2nd, 2014
Hunger has made you reckless. You track the sound of human voices through the woods until you find a man and a woman. They are shouting at each other. The woman slaps the man’s face. He presses his hand to his cheek for a moment, and then lunges at the woman, knocking her to the ground. He squeezes his hands tight about her throat. The noises she makes are ugly.

First appeared in: Electric Velocipede, May 2008
Episode Art: Alex Claw

Twabble: “ Cinderella looked out across the water. Her attendance at tonight's island gala was dependent on her ferry godmother. ” by Bejami

gdowell

Re: Drabblecast 326 – The Last Tiger

Post by gdowell » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Norm:

Your comments and the end of this episode were moving, poignant, and and profound. Well-said, my good man.

bookwormcp8

Post by bookwormcp8 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:43 am

Norm- Great story, read excellently as always. The post-story segment was amazing. Great insight and empathy, sir.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:45 am

Welcome aboard, gdowell and bookwormcp8!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:53 pm

I'm surprised there aren't more comments on this one. I loved it! Extremely well written, tight and well edited. The point of view was handled in such a way to truly show the state this man was in.

Point of discussion: Did he burn down the place because he wanted to, and the text about tiger's fathers read at the end was just a parallel for the listener? Or did he burn down the place because of the text and he didn't know better? I prefer the former.

And of course, Norm's thoughts on life are always well done and moving.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

bounceswoosh

Post by bounceswoosh » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:02 pm

I meant to give feedback, but I forgot. I loved this haunting story. As is so often the case, I don't have more to say than that.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:02 pm

bounceswoosh wrote:I meant to give feedback, but I forgot. I loved this haunting story. As is so often the case, I don't have more to say than that.
Yep, a common problem. Some of us also listen when we are a fair bit removed from our computers -- so we have hours and several tasks between listening and when we can post a response.

tbaker2500 wrote:Point of discussion: Did he burn down the place because he wanted to, and the text about tiger's fathers read at the end was just a parallel for the listener? Or did he burn down the place because of the text and he didn't know better? I prefer the former.
Reference: the print version of the story...

He killed the professor because the prof identified himself as a father, and our super-soldier identified himself as a tiger. El Tigre had just finished reading about how tiger-fathers were a threat.

He burned down the house to destroy the genetic evidence that the prof was blathering about. And probably because it is a common tactic used to muddy one's tracks and/or crime scene.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:41 am

Ah, yes! I muddied the two. Thanks.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Spindaddy

Post by Spindaddy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:08 pm

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:
bounceswoosh wrote:I meant to give feedback, but I forgot. I loved this haunting story. As is so often the case, I don't have more to say than that.
Yep, a common problem. Some of us also listen when we are a fair bit removed from our computers -- so we have hours and several tasks between listening and when we can post a response.
This is actually my problem... I listen on the way to work, but at work browsing histories are scrutinized and tracked so I've the habit of 'I'm at work I do work things...' but then when I get home, I'm often too exhausted mentally to want to do much more than sit in a corner and not drool.

Most days I fail. My corner has a dried puddle of drool.

Also... I loved this story. The ending caught me off guard and I found myself wanting to know more about the world settign and more about the main character.
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.
Zombie Catfish.