Drabblecast 334 - The Colour Out of Space

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 334 - The Colour Out of Space

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:37 am

Feature: The Colour Out of Space by H.P. Lovecraft
No drabble for this episode.
Genres: Horror

Monday, August 11th, 2014
West of Arkham the hills rise wild, and there are valleys with deep woods that no axe has ever cut. There are dark narrow glens where the trees slope fantastically, and where thin brooklets trickle without ever having caught the glint of sunlight. On the gentler slopes there are farms, ancient and rocky, with squat, moss-coated cottages brooding eternally over old New England secrets in the lee of great ledges; but these are all vacant now, the wide chimneys crumbling and the shingled sides bulging perilously beneath low gambrel roofs.

Episode Art: UNMARU
First published in Amazing Stories, September 1927

Twabble: “ When he ironed the skin the noses were usually hard to flatten. But he was always happy to add a new friend to his face book. ” by DookieDan

SpareInch

Re: Drabblecast 334 - The Colour Out of Space

Post by SpareInch » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:01 pm

I came rather late to H.P. Lovecraft, and the first time I came across this story was on Tales To Terrify, so it was sort of spooky to hear it hear just a couple of weeks after Lawrence Santoro's death. Pure coincidence, I know. But...

Anyway, Back to THIS show...

Loved the story and the reading. It was also clearly time for me to revisit this tale as I'd forgotten just how it ended. I mean, I know HOW it ended... but the exact ending had slipped my mind.

Some Colour went back into space, but a bit got left behind.

OOooo...

Remind me never to drink the water over there.

Oh, so THAT'S how you do Hyperlinks! At this rate, I'll be typing with two fingers in a few years! :lol:
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

dookiedan

Post by dookiedan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:59 pm

This was my first time hearing this story. Great job,to all involved in the production. I loved the line "Then something struck the cows." It made me giggle.

Thanks for selecting my twabble.

bryanwitha_y

Post by bryanwitha_y » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:08 am

I'd like to take a moment to applaud Norm on his absolutely top-notch intro for this episode. I always look forward to hearing Norm introduce each episode and its theme, but this one in particular tickled me in a private place that both delighted and horrified me. Mad props, dude.
Still wet behind the gears.

Spindaddy

Post by Spindaddy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:44 pm

Before I came to the drabblecast, I never cracked open a Lovecraft story. I dislike horror because I grew up thinking that horror=gore and senseless violence. Then I one day I was walking down the street listening to escape pod and Norm was guest hosting an episode that was pretty freaky. I decided to check out the Drabblecast and BAM! It was like when I got to college and discovered kinky co-eds, booze and.. uh... nevermind. I totally was a standup citizen in college.

ANyway, I look forward to Lovecraft month now. This was a great reading and I've listened to it driving to and from work. Whenever I'm driving late at night and I need to stay awake, I pull up old episodes from Augusts past and stay awake while driving b/c my mind is too busy enjoying the Lovecraft bondage mind pounding barrage of eldritch, unfathomable, mindnumbing, unknowable, queer, bizarre, ineffable adjectives being force fed into it.

Keep up the good work Norm!
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.
Zombie Catfish.

bookwormcp8

Post by bookwormcp8 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:35 am

Great read of a really good Lovecraft story. Easily the best I've heard, to include ranking over a full cast version. Awesome stuff!

Kibitzer

Post by Kibitzer » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:44 am

Dammit @bryanwitha_y, you beat me to the punch! Occasionally Norm does a longer intro like this one and they crack me up! I haven't even listened to the story yet but the whole thing is worth it just for the intro. Piñata / candy / teeth / UPS invoice from older self / etc. Magic!

I still think about last year's(?) Halloween intro, the one with the ghost(s) of previous slushers, and it cracks me up.
Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:22 am

Like others, I'd never read HP Lovecraft prior to hearing it here. But now I really look forward to each episode.
It took me about 6 listenings to get through this one, I kept getting lured to sleep by Norm's ominous tone.

Great story, extremely well produced. And fan-frigging-tastic intro.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.