Drabblecast 338 - The Crevasse

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 338 - The Crevasse

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:11 am

Feature: The Crevasse by Dale Bailey and Nathan Ballingrud
Drabble: The World's Eye Looks at a Small Peruvian Village by Unseen Tangerine
Genres: Horror
Warning: Some explicit language and animal distress

Thursday, September 11th, 2014
What he loved was the silence, the pristine clarity of the ice shelf: the purposeful breathing of the dogs straining against their traces, the hiss of the runners, the opalescent arc of the sky. Garner peered through shifting veils of snow at the endless sweep of glacial terrain before him, the wind gnawing at him, forcing him to reach up periodically and scrape at the thin crust of ice that clung to the edges of his facemask, the dry rasp of the fabric against his face reminding him that he was alive.

Read by: Rich Fish
Episode Art: Hannah Holloway
Produced by: Fred Greenhalgh of Final Rune Productions.
Story first appeared in Lovecraft Unbound, edited by Ellen Datlow.

Twabble: “ My sister just read a book about Stockholm Syndrome. She said it was pretty bad at first but by the end she kind of liked it. ” by Unreliable Narrator

SpareInch

Re: Drabblecast 338 - The Crevasse

Postby SpareInch » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:52 am

Did I hear Norm say in the intro that Ernest Shackleton's ship was called HMS Endurance? I think I did.

Shackleton's ship was called Endurance, not HMS Endurance. HMS Endurance is an Ice Patrol Ship employed by the Royal Navy to protect British territories and interests in The South Atlantic.

Easy mistake. ;)

I did like the story though. Shades of The Mountains Of Madness, methinks.
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

c_lucio

Postby c_lucio » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:54 am

The timing on this is great. It was only two days ago that people started bugging me to track down The Crevasse and read it. It showing up here made me double-take in the best of ways.
-Caprizant Lucio

Waveharp

Postby Waveharp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:54 pm

Woah, I feel like H.P. Lovecraft month is bleeding over a little. I like it!

I'm with SpareInch, I definitely got a Mountains of Madness vibe from this one. And I'm sure glad there was all that human suffering to balance out the animal suffering, don't know if I could've handled this one otherwise. :wink:

bounceswoosh

Postby bounceswoosh » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:56 am

I am grateful for the warning about animal suffering. I don't think I could have stomached the story without the MC risking his life to put the lead dog out of his misery. After the focus left the dogs, I became invested in the story about the men. Then ... The story didn't so much end as peter out to a stop. I wondered what had been the point.

BryanLincoln

Postby BryanLincoln » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:54 pm

Great Production, Fred! The narrator was amazing as well.

Penman Bland
Location: The Barren Wastes of (slightly western) south Canada

Postby Penman Bland » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:10 pm

I had read this some time ago (but... where?), and I'm surprised to discover how much more I enjoyed it in this dramatized form-- I think because the difference voices made some of the more interwoven dialogue passages easier to follow.

I'm going to try to make my brother listen to this one. He's not huge on the weird fiction, but he has a lararium in his house devoted to Shackleton (not as big as the one for Vince Coleman, but it's still impressive).
Euphonious phony tsunami

Spindaddy

Postby Spindaddy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:00 am

This one was pretty cool, but it left me in a foul mood. I wanted to punch Connolly.
I'm not Evil. I'm Corporate.

Lucy Jayne

Postby Lucy Jayne » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:35 am

Wow - why did I not know of these fantastic stories sooner?

I've got a lot of catch up listening to do. This was fantastic. I don't tend to pull things apart and give wordy reviews, I either enjoy it or give up - this one had me hooked so now I need to listen to more.

Caustic Reverie

Postby Caustic Reverie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:52 am

I liked the audio aspects of this one. Many stories with sound effects come across as jarring and end up taking me out of the story, but these all seemed to enhance the experience. Nice work!

strawman

Postby strawman » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:51 pm

I like audio drama. Back before DC, I listened to the story station on XM, "where the pictures are in your head".
I think I would have done this one a little different. First, it's true about timing. I don't care for the narrator reading "the dogs barked" and suddenly hearing the clip of dogs barking. I was already imagining dogs barking. Now, for the rest of the story, part of me is anticipating a sound clip to illustrate every noun doing verb.
The other thing is I would have preferred the narrator to have been a survivor of the expedition, so that instead of being a very good reader of purplish horror, he would be dramatizing his own reactions. This goes back to the original Frankenstein, and Moby Dick, but I think it draws the audience in, with more "show", less 'tell".
There are some "tells" that Crevasse was not written to be an audio piece. If the story had been written with audio in mind, maybe "The dogs barked" problem could have been no problem.

Remember when Norm first started doing EP? The EP forums were ablaze with purists who hated his "audio embellishments" and intros. Chains were rattled. Since then, tho, lots of EP folks are familiar faces (well, avatars anyway) here.

I wonder if it's possible to conceive of a twabble made up of nothing but spliced sound clips, no narrator. Something like Trey Jackson's prize-winning Haiku about the knife-wielding murderer in the closet wondering when you will get home.

Rambling here. Thanks for the story! Looking forward to more collaboration amonst the braintrust.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

pondspider

Postby pondspider » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:10 pm

Spindaddy wrote:This one was pretty cool, but it left me in a foul mood. I wanted to punch Connolly.

I'm with you on that, Spindaddy :twisted:

Sphinx

Postby Sphinx » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:44 am

The story was well written, if not entirely my cup o' tea. However, I really want to applaud the production in this one, the sound effects were out-standing and the work that went into it truly shows. Not a howl of distress was out of place, not a gun-shot too loud. The atmosphere created with sound alone blew my mind, mate.

I am glad they included the bit where the producer talked about his process - sound production is so often overlooked or taken for granted, since it's only really noticable when it's bad.

finalrune

Postby finalrune » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:20 am

Hi All - Fred, who produced this show for the Drabblecast, just wanted to say to you all how much I'm blushing over all the nice comments on the sound embellishments - I really appreciate it. To Strawman - your critique is fair, myself and the narrator (who helped - lightly - adapt the script) were debating how much to modify the original text. We were not really commissioned to do an 'adaptation' so much as to record a reading of the story, so we erred on the 'less is more.' Though, I encourage you to listen to any of my own material if you want to hear something that was written and produced for dramatized format in mind: http://www.finalrune.com/

We also were on a pretty tight timeline/budget so in an ideal world we would have had the entire crew down to Antarctica and fighting it out on the iceberg (if you think I jest, well, I do, but only lightly) but without quite those resources we had to fake it :) Luckily I live in Maine where it is wicked fricken cold.

- Fred Greenhalgh
FinalRune Productions / The Cleansed
Fred Greenhalgh
FinalRune Productions / The Cleansed

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”