Drabblecast 048 - The Destiny of Man

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Mr. Tweedy

Drabblecast 048 - The Destiny of Man

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:44 pm

Feature The Destiny of Man by Drew Arrants

I'd like to talk to you, son, about the destiny of man. We have a few minutes left before our walk is over, so let's talk, man to man.....

Drabble - Death at Bowling by Keith Burnett

Skot

2 Questions...

Post by Skot » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:01 pm

(Regarding The Drabble) – How did the narrator of this first person story know the glad reaper smiled?

(Regarding The Story) – Wouldn’t the worms want a BIG person to eat, rather than a school-aged child?

Derm

Post by Derm » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:48 pm

do you eat lamb, chicken or veal? Or egg, for that matter? Or child... okay, forget I suggested this last one.

Skot

Don't forget spam. Or Chicken!

Post by Skot » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:02 pm

Yep, yep, yep, yep...no comment.

Sure to a worm - any sized human is a feast... but what are humans eating that they can't pass to the worms that isn't less... human?

Are worms really that picky? Is NO one dying of accidents?

snonker

Post by snonker » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:25 pm

The worm story was pretty good. what i liked more was how norm read the end. it sounds sincere in hope, and is freakier than i could imagine it to be written down.
good story, not great though

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:40 pm

I found this to be a bit boring and a bit clichéd. The character(s) are one-dimensional, the premise is common and there isn't really any plot.

That said, I really liked the portrayal of the father's attitude. Humans have been reduced to farm animals, and he's proud of it. Rather than react with horror, disgust or anger at the fact that he is being forced to give up his son to be eaten alive(!), he invents a story that makes things seem okay, normal, even pleasant. The way he convinced himself to be happy about his situation was chilling. That is so like people, who will tell themselves any lie to maintain a sense of normalcy.

I thought the drabble was hilarious! What a great joke. "Why is Death going skating?" we wonder, "Is someone going to die in the"–BAM! Perfect execution (pun intended).
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:15 am

Yah, if I had written it I might have included something about why the worms demanded tribute from humans specifically-for all that they have done for us? Or made some distinction why human children must be used. That could have been creepy and effective.
Overall though, I liked it for exactly the reasons Mr Tweedy mentioned.
"Give us all some Jelly"

G. E. Lee

Post by G. E. Lee » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:35 pm

Fun story! I get the idea that the author is trying to make a point, but I feel like I'm missing it.

Incidently, the worms might prefer young humans for the same reason we prefer small, young fish: as an animal gets older, it's body accumulates persistant toxins from it's environment, spoiling the taste and sometimes becoming dangerous to eat.

On a stranger note, this is the second time today I've explained the rationale for eating younger people versus older people, on unrelated topics. Should I be concerned?
mogera robusta

Philippa

Re: 2 Questions...

Post by Philippa » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:40 am

Skot wrote:(Regarding The Drabble) – How did the narrator of this first person story know the glad reaper smiled?
You clearly don't watch enough movies/read enough comics...

I enjoyed the story even though it chucked up too many questions if you pondered it too hard (were these earthworms? Shouldn't it be maggots? Have we had enough maggot stories? Can you have too many maggot stories on the Drabblecast?) My first thought was that some kind of religious nuttery had caused humans to do away with all animals that ate other animals - a global vegan cult perhaps.

G. E. Lee

Post by G. E. Lee » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:55 pm

I thought the worms were "space" worms.
mogera robusta

Philippa

Post by Philippa » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:16 pm

G. E. Lee wrote:I thought the worms were "space" worms.
Well yeah, but space worms that get eaten by birds, need corpses to survive and live in a park...

Skot

Re: 2 Questions...

Post by Skot » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:21 pm

Philippa wrote:You clearly don't watch enough movies/read enough comics...
I’m taking this as a compliment. A big old hairy compliment.

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:34 pm

I think it makes sense that spaceworms would prefer free range children.

vburn

Post by vburn » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:48 pm

Thanks to all for the comments on the drabble. Norm made this a much better story then the writing did, great work as always Norm. I really did see a Grim Reaper walk out of the bowling alley one day and head next door to the skating rink. It was probably for some party and the bowling alley has a bigger bath room to change into the costume (I hope it was a costume). It was a disturbing site to see at the time.

I thought the problem with this weeks main event was the old "show, don't tell" rule. Dialoge driven stories are hard to do, and with only one speaker it is 100 times harder. I have seen it pulled off, in fact How Lonesome a Life without Nerve Gas http://escapepod.org/2007/01/25/ep090-h ... me-a-life/ is one of my favorite stories. I am afraid this story fell flat for me.

Once again, thanks for comments on Death at the Bowling Alley.

Keith Burnett

Philippa

Post by Philippa » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:06 pm

Doh, I totally forgot to mention I loved the drabble this week! I couldn't help picturing Terry Pratchett's death character. "BOWLING? WELL, ALRIGHT SUSAN, SINCE IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY..."

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:01 pm

Philippa wrote:Doh, I totally forgot to mention I loved the drabble this week! I couldn't help picturing Terry Pratchett's death character. "BOWLING? WELL, ALRIGHT SUSAN, SINCE IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY..."
Ah yes, but then Death wouldn't have been smiling. And he would have stopped to pet the alleycat.

The drabble was fun. I imagine this as just one of the creative ways Death keeps his job interesting.

Main story:
The raw optimism displayed by the father was to me the focus of the story, pointing out the compromises we make every day. And who doesn't deal with worms of one sort or another in their life?

I couldn't help but put a theme song to the invasion.
"The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out..."
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:20 pm

It's one thing to accept the worms as a reality that must be dealt with for the moment. It's quite another to love the worms and construct your self-image around them.

Sure, there are worms in my life, but I want to get rid of them.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:08 pm

Yes, but this is an old staple of Scifi. Focus on how someone could react, not necessarily the way a smart person would react.

IMHO, many Twilight Zone episodes fall directly in the same category. They often focus on the worst side of humanity under stressful situations, rather than letting cooler heads prevail.

This father was missing a few marbles, no doubt. (Cat's eye?)

Tom
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

bolddeceiver

Post by bolddeceiver » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:14 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:It's one thing to accept the worms as a reality that must be dealt with for the moment. It's quite another to love the worms and construct your self-image around them.
Because nobody did that in mid-20th-century Germany? (Or any number of other historical examples, not picking on any one people or time.)

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:34 pm

Oh, yeah people really act like that. That's why I said
Mr. Tweedy wrote:The way he convinced himself to be happy about his situation was chilling. That is so like people, who will tell themselves any lie to maintain a sense of normalcy.
I'm just saying that's a bad way to be. This is an example of how people should not behave, not a positive example to follow.

Don't love the worms!

...And Bolddeceiver is the first person to allude to Hitler on our forums!! Ding-ding-ding! :wink:
Advertise in this space!