Drabblecast 048 - The Destiny of Man

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
vburn

Post by vburn » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:34 pm

That is so like people, who will tell themselves any lie to maintain a sense of normalcy.
Is this a paraphrase of or an expansion upon The Wizards First Rule?

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:43 pm

whuzzat?

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:46 pm

Would that be the book by Terry Goodkind? Nope. Never heard of it until just now. Is it good?
Advertise in this space!

GirlNoir

Post by GirlNoir » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:55 am

Yes, it is in fact the Goodkind book. And it's superb. He actually just wrapped up the whole series. Go! Read! Now!

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:49 pm

vburn wrote:
That is so like people, who will tell themselves any lie to maintain a sense of normalcy.
I don't think people tell themselves lies so much as buy into the lies that are suggested to them.

Look at Adam Curtis' documentary, Century of the Self, to see how companies and political parties have used psychoanalysis to create the culture of desire for which they are the answer.

[You can download it free from www.archive.org. ]
If our desires are generated by a secret cabal of others, then what exactly happens to free will? Is it possible to escape?

This question is why The Matrix is my favorite movie. The illusion of freedom is so attractive that Cypher chooses the comfort of the illusion over the discomforts of reality.

AynSavoy

Post by AynSavoy » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:48 am

Philippa wrote:
G. E. Lee wrote:I thought the worms were "space" worms.
Well yeah, but space worms that get eaten by birds, need corpses to survive and live in a park...
My impression was not that the space worms get eaten by birds, but that regular ole' Earth worms are protected out of deference to their more advanced kindred.
"she says 'I like long walks and sci-fi movies'"
http://amillionwordstogo.blogspot.com

adam

Post by adam » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:52 pm

AynSavoy wrote: My impression was not that the space worms get eaten by birds, but that regular ole' Earth worms are protected out of deference to their more advanced kindred.
at first i thought they were protecting the spaceworms; then i figured if they so easly conquored mankind surely they're not so vulnerable as to need protection from budgies. so i settled on the earthworm deference theory too.

i can't help but think the whole idea for this story shot out of a simple observation of the word.
"why are they called EARTHworms? i mean where else would they be from? ... hm.. actually, that might make a good drabble..."

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:31 pm

adam wrote:
i can't help but think the whole idea for this story shot out of a simple observation of the word.
"why are they called EARTHworms? i mean where else would they be from? ... hm.. actually, that might make a good drabble..."
Good point!
"Give us all some Jelly"

AynSavoy

Post by AynSavoy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:36 am

Well, there ARE other kinds of worms besides that sort that crawl around in the earth (meaning "soil"). But, I too enjoy the dichotomy between Earth worms and Space worms.
"she says 'I like long walks and sci-fi movies'"
http://amillionwordstogo.blogspot.com

Chuckbucket

Post by Chuckbucket » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:05 am

I liked this one. but then, I liked most of the drabblecasts that involved worms and/or aliens.

sandrilde

Re: Drabblecast 048 - The Destiny of Man

Post by sandrilde » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:41 pm

Light but fun.