Drabblecast 339 - Trifecta XXVIII: Offbeat Afterlife

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 339 - Trifecta XXVIII: Offbeat Afterlife

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:58 am

Feature: Listening to it Rain by Sandra Odell
Feature: Passengers by D.R. Grahl
Feature: Paperclips and Memories and Things That Won’t be Missed by Caroline M. Yoachim
Drabble: Letting Go by Liz Pennies
Genres: Fantasy

Thursday, September 18th, 2014
The ghost in my attic is Margaret, but she lets me call her Margie. She was seventy-six years old when she died, and now that she's a ghost she sits in her rocking chair day and night, holding a tiny baby in her arms. The baby rarely moves and almost never cries. His name is Gavin, and he is thin and wrinkly and covered in fine brown hair. Funny looking, as preemies often are, but sweet nonetheless. Margie keeps him wrapped in a blanket of cobwebs, which I think is disgusting. I've always hated spiders.

Read by: Paul Huntington, Whitney Avalon
Episode Art: Brent Holmes
Additional credits: Whitney Avalon's Youtube Channel

Listening to it Rain first appeared in Fireside Magazine, September 2013.
Passengers is a Drabblecast original.
Paperclips and Memories and Things That Won’t be Missed first appeared in Apex Magazine, May 2014.

Twabble: “ I thought spider monkeys were cute until the day I found myself all webbed up, organs liquefying, slathered in bananas. ” by Luftwaffle

SpareInch

Re: Drabblecast 339 - Trifecta XXVIII: Offbeat Afterlife

Post by SpareInch » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:59 am

:lol:
Hand Grenade!

Brilliant!

The features were OK too. ;)

I loved that bit in Passengers, when the kids have their microwave ghost traps, and the girl asks who she should call. I honestly hadn't spotted the Ghost Busters reference until then.
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

c_lucio

Post by c_lucio » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:47 am

All three of these were great. Many kudos to D.R. Grahl, whose first sale is a damn good one. My love of Yoachim is solidified firmly after this, though. "Five Stages of Grief After the Alien Invasion" was on Clarkesworld's podcast recently, and this story was the same high quality as that one.
-Caprizant Lucio

Penman Bland
Location: The Barren Wastes of (slightly western) south Canada

Post by Penman Bland » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:17 pm

I shall always cherish "paranormal Activia".

(edit) Having now listened all the way through, I wanted to registered real praise. I'm seldom taken by the notion of writing from the ghost's point of view, but after hearing these stories it's definitely on my "give it a try" list.

I particularly like the element of yearning for unrecoverable existence in "Paperclips...", which has a flavour of some Classical version of afterlife to it. It made me sad in exactly the way I look for this kind of fiction.
Euphonious phony tsunami

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:29 pm

Good stories. But I'll be re-listening just for Norm's awesome introduction speech:
... Yet even still in the choking loneliness of this endless void eternal, I burn with the seething vengeance of Tartarus itself. It's that wife of mine...
*Thumbs* Classic good stuff, narrated with just the right blend of routine and passion. :D

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:50 pm

Loved this episode :)