Drabblecast 342 - I'm Bill Kurtis

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 342 - I'm Bill Kurtis

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:33 pm

Feature: I'm Bill Kurtis by Victor Schultz
Drabble: DIY Spaceship Repair by Monsieur Moustache
Genres: Horror Mystery

Monday, November 10th, 2014
Nate had expected the first serial killer. In fact the first thing he'd said to Kelly once their Ford rolled to a stop on the shoulder was, "This is serial killer country. We're finished." She made scaredy-cat eyes and drew a finger across her throat. "Finished," he enunciated. She'd heard his bake before, something to the effect that certain places settled and then maybe recultivated to feel remote--the Wisconsin Northwoods, for example, or parts of Appalachia or, in this case, Tornado Alley--were stuffed silly with the dumped spent corpses that were the nuggets of serial killers' labor. The type needed space to operate. So each tree in the Northwoods doubled as a headstone, each stalk of corn out here a memorial, and to hike cross-country through such territory was to traipse condemned through the densest kind of cemetery.

Episode Art: E. C. Ibes
This story first appeared in Surreal South '11. It has been reedited for the Drabblecast.

Twabble: “ Don't think of the worms crawling under your skin. No really. Don't. If you think about them, they get hungry, and breed. ” by Nocturnist

pondspider

Re: Drabblecast 342 - I'm Bill Kurtis

Postby pondspider » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Feel like I'm living in an alternative universe this week... (my feedback on this week's B-Side, Sorry About Your Dog)

I liked this story, although I was a bit unclear about how the girl managed to dispose of her would-be killers. Were they just crap at their chosen passtime? Is there something I missed in the plot and characters... or some serial killer "givens" that would explain events?

I thought the ending was a bit weak, though. It didn't seem to fit with the style and mood of the rest of the story, coming across as a bit silly, rather than creepy / scary / weird, as if the author had decided to wrap it up without a lot of further thought.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Drabblecast 342 - I'm Bill Kurtis

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:06 am

This was hilarious. Loved it!
Premise: Take fears. Make fears come true. Stretch fears out so far they become absurd. End result: making fun of our fears, but not in the expected way.

Kudos!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”