Drabblecast 344 - Doubleheader XV

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 344 - Doubleheader XV

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:55 am

Feature: Sing, Pilgrim! by James Patrick Kelly
Feature: Suspicious by James Patrick Kelly
Drabble: The Forecast Calls for Death by Monsieur Moustache
Genres: Fantasy

Sunday, December 7th, 2014
The chair first appeared on a Thursday afternoon on the sidewalk in front of the Dollar Bank and Trust on Lancaster Street in Pulaski, Kansas. Nobody saw how it got there. At least, no reliable eyewitnesses have ever come forward, so we are unable to pinpoint the exact moment of its arrival. Customers began to ask the tellers about it shortly after lunch.

Read by: Lauren Synger
Episode Art: Emily Poole
Sing, Pilgrim! first appeared in Fantasy & Science Fiction, November 2013.
Suspicious first appeared in Daily Science Fiction, July 2011.

Twabble: “ They said it was too late to operate, but only a fool gives up hope. The knife trembles in my hand. Hush, my love; be strong. ” by L0rdEntr0py

amyrt

Re: Drabblecast 344 - Doubleheader XV

Post by amyrt » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:26 pm

For me, the highlight of this episode is the song at the end. Pure musical genius. At first, I was oddly entranced by a hauntingly familiar ballad I couldn't quite place (despite the reference in the story)... then I was laughing out loud as I reminisced back to loud drunken college parties ... and then I was just enthralled by this startlingly beautiful acoustic rendition. I thought I'd learned to expect the unexpected from Drabblecast but I did not see this one coming. Thank you!

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:10 pm

Thank you, Amyrt, and welcome aboard!

zcarter80

Post by zcarter80 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:18 pm

I'm floored by his writing. Anyone have a clue what person is singing hey ya at the end of sing pilgrim? It's excellent world building and I love the peek we got inside that world.
If I wrote it you can read it unless you sound like Fran Drescher.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:38 am

zcarter80 wrote:Anyone have a clue what person is singing hey ya at the end of sing pilgrim?
Pretty sure that's Obadiah Parker. Don't know who's singing backup/harmony with him though.

devora

Post by devora » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:08 am

Norm has such amazing musical sense. I just spent a frantic 30 mins searching for that version of 'hey ya' and only found it b/c it was mentioned here. This forum is so great.

Now the big Q is, when is Norm gonna record that puppy?

Oh, I still go back and listen to him crooning about sweaters that strangle, so lovely. Hey drabbleclassics, let's revive that one!

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:50 am

Yep. Norm's introduced us to some great artists and songs (including his own works).
I don't listen to music on the radio anymore, so it's pretty much Drabblecast and Breaking Bad that expand my playlist these days.

Theory42

Post by Theory42 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:11 pm

You can take all of what I'm about to write with a grain of salt, as I'm about 2.5 beers in:

The first story I liked. It was more of a motif than a story, but it was a motif that was humorous, odd, and ethereal. While the chair was an ordinary object, its backstory was fully in line with the Drabblecast universe. I particularly loved how the quotes that got interspersed in the story were so...so bad and obtuse. It kept jarring me back to the absurdity of the story just as I was getting sucked in.

The second story: Its fully plausible that I missed part of it while driving. That said, it seems like this story lacked a plot. I completely forgot it, almost immediately.