Drabblecast 350 - Trifecta XXX: Something Fishy

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 350 - Trifecta XXX: Something Fishy

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:58 am

Feature: Kinda Like Salmon by Keffy Kehrli
Feature: In the Eyes of the Needy by Jonathan Schneeweiss
Feature: Sea Changes by Erica L. Satifka
No drabble for this episode.
Genres: Fantasy Horror

Wednesday, February 18th, 2015
Izam's fingers moved on their own. They found his sunken chest. And counted his ribs.

His father would have slapped his hand away. A stupid habit of a stupid boy. A stupid starving boy who counted his ribs when he was hungry even though it only made him hungrier. Izam knew it was stupid but he could not help it. He was so hungry.

Read by: Nathan Lee, Tina Connolly
Episode Art: Bo Kaier
Cover art photo credits: Mary Galloway, Ayeshamus, and Juan Gonzalez.

Kinda Like Salmon first appears here, in The Drabblecast.
In the Eyes of the Needy first appeared, as Mermaid, in Daily Science Fiction, February, 2014.
Sea Changes first appeared in Ideomancer, September 2008.

Twabble: “ Forms combine and break apart, only to rejoin. Again and again.
What is that place where I gasp for breath, above the sky? ” by pondspider

Chairman Goodchild

Re: Drabblecast 350 - Trifecta XXX: Something Fishy

Post by Chairman Goodchild » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:06 am

What happened to Trifecta XXIX? Something fishy, indeed.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:47 am

Chairman Goodchild wrote:What happened to Trifecta XXIX? Something fishy, indeed.
Nope, Trifecta XXIX was episode 345, the Cat With Blue Fur Trifecta. You'll note that most Trifectas prior to that did not have a descriptive title. CwBF had a strong uniting theme -- hence no need for explicit Roman numerals.
Episode 350 has both a theme and numerals (As did Ep 210 and 339), but the title was shorter. (CwBF was just a smidge too long to tack on numerals.)

Chairman Goodchild

Post by Chairman Goodchild » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:48 pm

Fantastic production work on this one. The background music really enhanced the mood.

In the Eyes of the Needy was a haunting, memorable story. I loved how the story shifted my attitudes towards the characters back and forth by revealing more and more of the situation as the story progressed. Izam remembering his father's instructions for dealing with the mermaid was very shocking, until the reveal that the mermaid was trying to net Izam the same way that Izam was trying to net the mermaid. And then my sympathy slid back to Izam, until the reveal that the mermaid was also starving.

A fantastic story. Beautiful use of color language to set the scene.

And there was one thing that niggled at me about this story at first: why did the mermaid try to catch Izam if she already had the fish? And then I remembered: "Eighteen pounds? What was eighteen pounds of fish when right before you was…?" This sentence trails off into ellipses in such a way that both of the characters could have been thinking the same thought at the same time, furthering the fantastic symmetry of the story.

imsok00l

Post by imsok00l » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:20 pm

This may sound weird, but as an English learner, I think whoever narrated the third story has just the perfect voice, accent and enunciation. As I was listening to it, I was like, man, I wish I sounded like that when I speak English! Except I'm male. Seriously, hers is one of the best voices I've ever heard.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Welcome aboard, imsok00l!

That would be Tina Connolly. ¿Let the stalking commence?