Drabblecast 353 - Primrose or Return to Il’maril

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Algernon Sydney is Dead

Drabblecast 353 - Primrose or Return to Il’maril

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:12 am

Feature: Primrose or Return to Il’maril by Mary McMyne
No drabble for this episode.
Genres: Sci-Fi

Saturday, March 21st, 2015
"I will not leave this cavern," the voice said as soon as I stepped into the cave mouth. A baritone decaying into vibrato, an old man’s voice, full of dignity and pride.

Read by: Gabrielle deCuir
Episode Art: E. C. Ibes
This story first appeared in Apex Magazine, Oct. 2014.

Twabble: “ The nightclub's disco ball isn't really made of tortured souls, but I can see you in there, a thousand times, screaming. ” by Robert Lach

unseentangerine

Re: Drabblecast 353 - Primrose or Return to Il’maril

Postby unseentangerine » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:56 am

first I hear Norm's voice, then the narrator says, ". . . full of dignity and pride." totally threw me off, couldn't finish the story. :mrgreen:
Many on the forum have asked me, so here's my answer: a spoonful of lighter fluid. And you'll need to wash it out really well when you're done.

MartinForgeWorks

Postby MartinForgeWorks » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:40 am

Very nice story. But I have to wonder if they all just burned up in flames and the the group that left worried them selfs to death? Or did they die out from the lack of sun.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Postby Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:16 am

MartinForgeWorks wrote:...wonder if they all just burned up in flames and the the group that left worried them selves to death? Or did they die out from the lack of sun.

It was strongly implied that the stubborn ones transcended (runaway shaman saw the big kahuna in his dreams, Obi Wan style). And the migrants died from lack of the proper stellar radiation -- which the tech guys would have figured out post haste.

Then, in mere minutes of screen time, and just by shuffling colored bits of plastic in the "Transwarp space demodulator", the hero engineer would have a fully safe and effective radiation generator until a proper star system could be found. Either that or Vierro Casstratil secretly took an old mining ship back in time to wreak holy hell on the Earthers. :twisted:

Chairman Goodchild

Postby Chairman Goodchild » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:43 pm

I liked this one. Very philosophical, and well-paced.

Very nice story. But I have to wonder if they all just burned up in flames and the the group that left worried them selfs to death? Or did they die out from the lack of sun.

That's for the audience to decide for themselves, I guess. Maybe the dream that the emigrating shaman had was just that- a dream, and the immigrants died of some kind of toxin in their new world, while the rest of their species perished on their home planet.

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”