Drabblecast 125 - Little Brother™

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 125 - Little Brother™

Postby Kevin Anderson » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:56 am

Drabblecast 125

Drabble- Prayer to Human
by Christopher Perria

Little Brother™
by Bruce Holland Rogers

This year when Peter ran into the living room, there sat Little Brother™ among all the wrapped presents, babbling baby talk, smiling his happy smile, and patting one of the packages with his fat little hand. Peter was so excited that he ran up and gave Little Brother™ a big hug around the neck. That was how he found out about the button.

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

strawman

Postby strawman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:11 am

We all know what it feels like to have our buttons pushed
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:10 am

Ahem. I'm the youngest of 11 kids, and let me tell you, those older brothers are no piece of cake either. :shock:

Despite the severe ageism shown in this piece, it was really funny and I loved the ending.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

strawman

Postby strawman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:58 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Ahem. I'm the youngest of 11 kids, and let me tell you, those older brothers are no piece of cake either. :shock:

Despite the severe ageism shown in this piece, it was really funny and I loved the ending.

Yep. I think the author captured the truth that older brothers always see younger brothers as Christmas presents, as well as the truth that whoever is not getting mom's attention is 'turned off'.

This ties into the discussion about perceiving self/others. Socialization has mostly to do with learning that, since others do really exist, we must swallow our disappointment and try to do to them as we would have them do to us.

Or else God will push our button.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Phenopath

Postby Phenopath » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:55 pm

Loved the story, I did not spot the hook at the end. If you listen carefully you can hear Norm smirking as he reads it.

Anyhow I can see why Mum chose Little Brother(TM).

CLP

Postby CLP » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:11 pm

I love how Norm has a theme for most episodes. This was a perfect expample of that. the drabble is about a world with no people with only robots left. And the main story insinuates the same, because if baby brother (tm) is a robot, the big brother is a robot, you could draw the conclusion that mama is a robot too. maybe everyone is a robot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:13 pm

A the youngest of 6 with 4 older brothers, I have to say this story nailed it on the head as far as describing what older brothers are really like.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

LajesticVantrashellofLob

Postby LajesticVantrashellofLob » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:53 pm

Short, quick and clean - not my favorite story, but certainly well told and enjoyable. Once it was stated that his mother was going to punish him, the ending became rather predictable - but hey, I don't get to call them correctly very often, so I'm not going to complain. Great Shark Week jokes too.

The ending got me thinking, though - if everyone has a button, what kind of society is this? Are there any real people left, or is everyone a "toy" with a button? Is there's some company that manufactures people and then advertises them to their creations that are already out in the world? If so, aren't they solely responsible for the continuation of the race? What an odd life cycle... How did this process all start, anyway? Perhaps learning about one's own button is like a right-of-passage, as now one can see the world for what it is. Can the buttons be disabled when one reaches adulthood?

Any story that gets me thinking that much was obviously worth my time :D
Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules. Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.

You're always the hero in your own story - life is about not being the villain in anyone else's.

jonathancg

Postby jonathancg » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:54 am

Loved this little tale. The hook at the end does that rare thing in science fiction -- a twist that isn't obnoxious. The story would stand on its own merit without it, so this was just icing on the cake.
Author of "On Dasher", "Old Clara's Favorites", and a host of other tales available online and in print. Check out my site at http://jonathancg.net

The Cytologist

Postby The Cytologist » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:40 pm

My son recently introduced me to your show and I just wanted to say that it comes across as very professional and is obviously well produced. The narrator has a fine sense of humor and great delivery. I was very entertained by the story. Keep up the good work. I'll be following the drabblecast and looking forward to being entertained.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:19 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Ahem. I'm the youngest of 11 kids, and let me tell you, those older brothers are no piece of cake either. :shock:

Always one-upping me. Here I thought 5 siblings was a lot.

This brings to mind my ambivalence about the Papal decree against birth-control.

On the one hand, it seems medieval, draconian, and non-earth-friendly.

On the other hand, I do owe my existence to it.

j.ronald.lee

Postby j.ronald.lee » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:22 pm

Enjoyable, but fairly light. I felt the hook could have been set better; I would have liked to have felt a little more apprehension when Mother began feeling for the button...

Mr. Tweedy

Postby Mr. Tweedy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:23 am

Welcome to The Cytologist and j.ronald.lee! Always glad to see new face.
Advertise in this space!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Postby tbaker2500 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:06 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Always one-upping me. Here I thought 5 siblings was a lot.

This brings to mind my ambivalence about the Papal decree against birth-control.

On the one hand, it seems medieval, draconian, and non-earth-friendly.

On the other hand, I do owe my existence to it.

6 kids? Pshaw.

Hey, I haven't known a better bunch of folks than my family, so yea, I agree with your statement. On the other hand, holidays are way too busy!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

devora

Postby devora » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:12 pm

I've listened to this puppy about five times and it gets creepier and creepier while being consistently hilarious. Fantastic production: the music greatly enhanced the story. All those sweet sugarplums dancing while mommie turns off her kid. Great contrast. How kind of Norm to give us Xmas in August.

Richmazzer

Postby Richmazzer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:13 am

Ah, a classic Drabblecast story with a twist ending. It's been awhile! This one fooled me too and I loved it.
Also, interesting question raised above, maybe the mother was a robot too?? Could have been a cool double twist.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Postby ROU Killing Time » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 am

Richmazzer wrote:Ah, a classic Drabblecast story with a twist ending. It's been awhile! This one fooled me too and I loved it.
Also, interesting question raised above, maybe the mother was a robot too?? Could have been a cool double twist.

I'm on the fence as to whether it's a story about "Planet of the Robots" or if it's a society combatting over-population by providing synthetic children like in Spielberg's "AI"

I think the ambiguity, and the pondering that results, made for a really strong and satisfying finish. Good stories like this one make you think about the implications long after you finish reading (or listening.)

zZzacha

Re: Drabblecast 125- Little Brother™ by Bruce Holland Rogers

Postby zZzacha » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:42 am

Awesomeness! The story was great, I did not see that ending coming at all. I love surprises like that!

Two thumps up!
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

swamp

Postby swamp » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:49 pm

This was a great fun story. A different take on the Bill Cosby line about telling his son, "I brought you into this world; I can take you out."

It seems like I've heard/read this story before. I looked on Mr. Holland's link and other places, but I couldn't find where this story has been published before. Does anybody know?

normsherman
Site Admin

Postby normsherman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:03 pm

Twas first on strange horizons I believe.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”