Drabblecast 370 - The Little Mermaid of Innsmouth

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
SpareInch

Drabblecast 370 - The Little Mermaid of Innsmouth

Postby SpareInch » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:46 pm

Feature:  The Little Mermaid of Innsmouth  by  Caroline M. Yoachim

Genre:  Drabblecast  Fantasy  Horror

Sunday, September 13th, 2015

Tomiko knelt at the table, across from her father, carefully holding her back rigid and straight as they ate their breakfast. She hoped the formal posture would make him take her arguments seriously, but he barely looked at her as he ate mix of rice and nattō, fermented soybeans that gave off a pungent smell and overpowered even the constant fishy odor of her father’s skin.

Produced by Adam Pracht. The Little Mermaid of Innsmouth song
Episode Art:  Carly Lyn
Read by:   Ibba Armancas
Music by:   All music by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Some sound effects recorded by Mike Koenig and Mark DiAngelo (soundbible.com)

Twabble:  “I'm scheduled for an Earthectomy next week. What's an Earth? An evolutionary relic. Mostly harmless. ”  by  bjrobison
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

El Barto

Re: Drabblecast 370 - The Little Mermaid of Innsmouth

Postby El Barto » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:58 pm

Good story but ended pretty abruptly to me. I wasn't sure whether the main character had never been turned into a human, or had been turned into a human in a painful process, and then turned back into a fish frog without feeling it or noticing it.

Also, it wasn't clear that her sisters' previously didn't love her, and had somehow changed. When she first went to Dagon to ask to become a human, she ignored them. It didn't feel like there was any growth of the character to explain why she changed her mind on such a huge issue.

acpracht

Re: Drabblecast 370 - The Little Mermaid of Innsmouth

Postby acpracht » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:13 pm

I think some valid critiques, Barto.
On the motivation change, it did seem that it was necessary to read into the story quite a bit for the switch to make sense. I think much of the change can be attributed to the sudden revelation of the xenophobia of the male outsider. That, I think, gave our protagonist a new take on what truly constitutes being a "monster."
As for the change itself, I think the change to human was painful because it was outside of her "natural" state, while going back to "fish-frog" wasn't because it was more of a "letting go" to who she actually was rather than trying to change into someone she wasn't.

Return to “Story Discussion - Main and Drabbleclassics”